This simple lentil pasta recipe is a satisfying, comforting vegetarian meal. A wealthy tomato and lentil sauce coats chewy ribbons of al dente pasta.
Okay, pasta lovers, you want this lentil pasta recipe in your winter rotation! It’s budget-friendly, simple to make, and comforting in the way in which that solely pasta with purple sauce might be.
Although this lentil pasta recipe is filled with Italian flavors (marinara! balsamic! Parmesan!), it’s not a tackle any particular Italian pasta dish. Moderately, it’s one thing I like to prepare dinner after I need a hearty, flavorful pasta dinner, however I don’t wish to go to the shop or spend hours within the kitchen. This lentil pasta recipe comes along with fundamental pantry substances, and you’ll have it on the desk in proper round half-hour. I believe you’re going to adore it!
Lentil Pasta Recipe Components
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this lentil pasta recipe:
- Lentils, after all! They pack this pasta with vitamins like fiber and plant-based protein. I like to make use of French green lentils for this recipe as a result of they maintain a pleasant chew when cooked. In a pinch, common inexperienced or brown lentils will work right here too. DON’T sub purple lentils–their texture is simply too tender and mushy for this recipe.
- Pasta – Pappardelle is my noodle of selection. I like the extensive, chewy ribbons within the hearty lentil pasta sauce. When you can’t discover it, tagliatelle is a superb sub. Or, when you’re vegan, and you must use egg-free pasta, swap in fettuccine or linguine. Gluten-free? Use your favourite gluten-free pasta!
- Onion, carrots, and garlic – They create the sauce’s flavorful base.
- Cremini mushrooms – For wealthy, savory complexity.
- Tamari and balsamic vinegar – They carry out the mushrooms’ umami taste.
- Further-virgin olive oil – For sautéing the veggies.
- Marinara sauce – I prefer to make my own with easy substances like crushed tomatoes, dried oregano, garlic, and purple pepper flakes. In a pinch, store-bought works too.
- Parmesan cheese – For topping the pasta. It provides nutty, salty richness to the ultimate dish. When you’re vegan, use my vegan Parmesan cheese as an alternative!
- Recent parsley – Sprinkle it over the pasta for a recent, vibrant end!
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
Tips on how to Make Lentil Pasta
This lentil pasta recipe is so easy to make! Listed below are a pair tricks to make it particularly fast and simple:
- Use pre-made marinara. As a lot as I like to make my marinara sauce from scratch, doing so provides an entire half-hour to this recipe…NOT what I would like on a busy weeknight. If I’m fortunate, I’ll have some leftover marinara available within the freezer, but when I don’t, I exploit store-bought right here. Rao’s is my favourite model. It makes this recipe tremendous flavorful and amazingly quick!
- Hold cooked lentils available within the freezer. They’ll turn out to be useful not just for this lentil pasta recipe, however for grain bowls and salads as nicely! When you don’t have cooked lentils useful, begin this recipe by cooking 1/2 cup dry lentils in line with this directions in this post.
With these parts prepared, the remainder of the recipe is easy:
Begin by cooking the pasta in a big pot of salted boiling water. When the pasta is al dente, drain it and toss it with a little bit olive oil to forestall sticking.
Subsequent, sauté the veggies. Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion and carrot and prepare dinner, stirring often, till they soften, 5 to eight minutes. Then, add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper, and prepare dinner till the mushrooms are tender, one other 5 to eight minutes.
Add the remaining sauce substances and simmer. Stir within the balsamic and tamari, adopted by the lentils and marinara. Cook dinner, stirring, till the sauce is nicely mixed and heated by, 2 minutes or so.
Lastly, combine within the pasta. Add it to the skillet and toss to coat within the sauce. Season to style…
…and serve with parsley and Parmesan cheese!
What to Serve with Lentil Pasta
We regularly get pleasure from this lentil pasta recipe for dinner by itself. However, when you’re craving a bigger meal, you’re in luck! It pairs completely with all types of aspect dishes. Lean into the consolation meals issue and serve it with garlic bread or focaccia, or add some coloration to your plate with a veggie aspect dish. It could go properly with any of those:
Get pleasure from!
Extra Straightforward Pasta Recipes
When you love this lentil pasta, strive one among these simple pasta dishes subsequent:
This simple lentil pasta recipe is a hearty, scrumptious vegetarian dinner! A flavorful tomato and lentil sauce coats chewy ribbons of al dente pasta.
- 10 ounces pappardelle pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1½ cups cooked green or French green lentils, from ½ cup dry
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan, for serving
- Recent parsley, for garnish
Deliver a big pot of salted water to a boil and put together the pasta in line with the bundle directions, cooking till al dente. Drain and toss with a drizzle of olive oil to forestall sticking. Put aside.
Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion and carrot and prepare dinner, stirring often, for five to eight minutes, or till softened. Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and a number of other grinds of pepper and prepare dinner for an additional 5 to eight minutes, stirring often, or till the mushrooms are tender.
Stir within the balsamic and tamari, then add the lentils and marinara. Cook dinner, stirring, for two minutes, or till the sauce is well-combined and heated by.
Add the pasta to the skillet and toss to mix. Portion onto plates and serve with Parmesan and recent parsley for garnish.