Missi Roti are savory and nutty flavored flatbreads made with a mixture of entire wheat flour, gram flour and spices. Missi roti is a North Indian specialty and is usually made in varied properties within the North Indian belt. I’m sharing my household recipe that I’ve been making for a few years now.
About Missi Roti
Missi roti is also referred to as besan roti as besan a.ok.a gram flour is likely one of the key elements. Besan imparts a pleasant nutty taste to the roti. It additionally helps in making the roti barely crispy.
There are some variations of this recipe. Some folks additionally make it into layered crispy and flaky missi roti. However we make it right into a easy spherical roti and never the layered model. Nonetheless if you wish to make a crispy layered model then you may test this Paratha Recipe or Lachha Paratha for reference.
We at all times add onions to the dough. With onions, the roti tastes good. If you don’t want so as to add onions, then you may add fenugreek leaves, spinach or grated veggies like carrots or beetroot. The addition of veggies will make these rotis extra wholesome and a great way to incorporate the veggies within the weight loss plan of children who don’t like them.
To makes these besan ki roti, the proportion of entire wheat flour to besan added varies from household to household. We at all times use a 2:1 proportion of each entire wheat flour and gram flour respectively.
Missi roti will be served with a dal, aloo sabzi, matar sabzi or perhaps a mango pickle or curd or butter.
I normally make them for breakfast and serve with mango pickle or lemon pickle. These rotis need to be served sizzling as on cooling they develop into barely dense.
Some folks confuse missi roti with Thepla. Regardless that the dough preparation appears to be like related however each these dishes are totally different. Curd is at all times added to the thepla dough which supplies it a barely tangy style. However curd shouldn’t be added to the missi roti dough.
Find out how to make Missi Roti
1. Take 2 cups entire wheat flour (240 grams), 1 cup besan/gram flour (100 grams), 1 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain), a pinch of asafoetida (hing) and 1 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl or a pan.
2. Add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions, 1 to 2 inexperienced chilies (1 teaspoon finely chopped) and three teaspoons oil. If the onions and inexperienced chillies are usually not finely chopped then they’ll come out whereas rolling the paratha.
3. Combine very properly with a spoon.
4. Then add ½ cup water.
5. Start to combine and knead the dough.
6. Add extra water as required and knead to a easy comfortable dough. Total I added ¾ cup water. The quantity of water required is determined by the standard of each the flours. So you may add ⅔ to ¾ cup water or extra if required.
If dough turns into sticky, then add some extra wheat flour. If the dough appears to be like dry, then add a little bit of water and knead once more.
7. Permit the dough to relaxation for 10 minutes after which make medium-sized balls from the dough.
Making missi roti
8. Take the dough ball on the rolling board. Mud some entire wheat flour on each side of the ball.
9. Roll to a circle of about 5 to six inches. Sprinkle some extra flour if required whereas rolling. Roll to medium to medium-thick roti.
10. Place the roti on a sizzling tawa or skillet. The tawa must be sizzling and never at a low temperature. Additionally maintain the warmth to medium-high to excessive. Don’t maintain the warmth to a low.
11. When the bottom is partially cooked, flip the roti utilizing a spatula or tongs.
12. Unfold ½ to 1 teaspoon of oil on the partly cooked half. We at all times use oil whereas roasting missi roti. However you should utilize ghee additionally. The quantity of oil to be utilized relies upon upon your choice.
13. When the second facet is cooked and brown spots will be seen, then flip once more. Unfold some ½ to 1 teaspoon oil on this facet too.
14. Flip once more.
15. Press the perimeters with a spatula in order that the perimeters are additionally cooked properly. Be certain that the roti edges are roasted correctly as generally they are often undercooked.
16. Flip a couple of times extra, in order that the missi roti is evenly cooked and has some darkish brown spots as seen within the beneath picture.
17. Serve the missi roti instantly or place them in a roti basket or a casserole and serve heat. Make them this fashion and stack them up in a roti basket or casserole.
Whereas roasting the second roti on tawa, ensure that the tawa doesn’t have any burnt or browned wheat particles. If any then clear the tawa with a kitchen paper towel.
18. Serve missi roti sizzling or heat with any vegetable dish, dal or with a pickle or curd or butter. It tastes so good which you could simply have it plain additionally with none accompaniment. For greatest style have them sizzling or heat.
Typically we’ve them as a night snack with a cup of sizzling tea.
Extra tasty roti varieties
- Jowar roti – Wholesome Sorghum Flour Gluten-Free flatbread.
- Bajra roti – Warming Millet Flour Gluten Free flatbread.
- Ragi roti – Calcium Wealthy Finger millet flour flatbread.
- Rumali roti – Skinny comfortable flatbreads made primarily with entire wheat flour and all-purpose flour.
- Akki roti – Flatbreads made with rice flour and blend veggies.
In case you made this recipe, please make sure to fee it within the recipe card beneath. Sign Up for my electronic mail e-newsletter or you may observe me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspirations.
Missi Roti are savory and nutty flavored flatbreads made with a mixture of entire wheat flour, gram flour and spices. Missi roti is a North Indian specialty and is usually made in varied properties for breakfast or lunch.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
This Missi Roti publish from the archives (January 2016) has been republished and up to date on 18 September 2021.