Boulder County Farmers Markets
Eggplants are such a beautiful discover on the market. Discover a massive globe eggplant and picture an eggplant Parmesan that may feed your complete household or a traditional French ratatouille. Tiny, scrumptious, teardrop-shaped or spherical eggplants are good for an Asian-inspired stir-fry.
Most continents have a good time the eggplant. (Not all the time: As a nightshade, it was shunned by many individuals way back as being toxic. Their loss.) It’s generally known as a vegetable, but it surely’s botanically a berry. Most eggplants are grown in China and India, however right here in Colorado with our dry local weather and funky nights, they’re prolific and are beautiful specimens on the native farmers markets.
Its spongy texture will soak up the oils, curries, spices and the rest you wish to add to it. However it’s substantial in texture, so it makes an awesome meat substitute in a number of recipes in case you don’t eat meat, or in case you are attempting to chop again on meat. (Take into consideration stuff you use meat as an accent for, together with pasta sauces, stir-fries, or stews. Eggplant will suffice in most recipes.)
From the Mediterranean to Southeast Asia, there are numerous recipes to share right here, however we’re going actually easy right here as a result of it’s summer time and since we are able to: baba ghanoush. The world-famous dip is mimicked worldwide by different cultures with completely different spices and strategies, however this one is the one we flip to for a simple appetizer dip. Serve it merely with some toasted pita bread. Or use it as half of a big Mediterranean unfold with grilled meats or greens, stuffed grape leaves, hummus and flatbreads.
Our recipe options sumac. It’s non-obligatory. However each kitchen may gain advantage from it. It’s vivid pink, so pretty, and tastes salty and lemony on the identical time.
We’ve curbside ordering all yr. Enroll an account, and we’ll ship you updates on Sunday morning for Boulder and Lafayette pickups. The home windows for curbside are 1 p.m. Sunday-Tuesday for Boulder and Lafayette and midday Tuesday-Thursday for Denver and Longmont.
The Boulder pickup is enjoyable and pleasant. Order your meals by 1 p.m. Tuesday, then attend the beer backyard Wednesday night. Hearken to the dwell music, take pleasure in your family and friends, meet with native farmers and discover hidden treasures, and go away along with your curbside order.
On the market this week
Eggplant in quite a lot of sizes. So many tomatoes! Peaches, kohlrabi, carrots and greens. Beer backyard on Wednesday nights beginning at 4 p.m. in Boulder. We’ve ready-to-bake frozen goodies and luxury meals. Browse the markets; benefit from the dwell music. Try our curbside choices and cease by the markets. Cucumbers and zucchini. Native cheeses in many types and mushrooms of a number of varieties and sizes. Pierogies in a number of flavors, farm-fresh eggs, tamales, pasta, spinach, potatoes, kombucha, inexperienced onions, native honey, granola, vegan ice cream. Radishes and tender greens. In-person markets are open in Longmont, Boulder and Denver each Saturday. Curbside accessible in Boulder, Longmont, Lafayette and Denver. Store on-line at bcfm.org.
- 2 kilos eggplant, ideally small eggplants
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, as wanted
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, reduce in half or quarters
- Salt to style
- Olive oil
- Sumac (non-obligatory)
- Pierce the eggplant (relying on its dimension; in case you are utilizing a really massive eggplant nonetheless pierce it, however reduce into massive rounds. A grill is most well-liked, however a broiler or toaster oven on the broiler setting will work simply fantastic. Grill or broil the eggplant till the flesh is completely mushy and the skins are blackened and straightforward to take away.
- Place the cooked eggplant in a colander over a bowl or within the sink, and permit to chill and drain. Peel and discard the black skins, reduce off the stems, and let the eggplants sit to empty for an additional 15 to half-hour.
- Puree the eggplant in a meals processor or blender. Add the lemon juice, yogurt and tahini. Add the garlic and salt, and mix with the eggplant. Add salt to style if it’s not salty sufficient.
- Place the puree on a reasonably plate and make just a little scoop within the center. Fill it with olive oil and sprinkle with sumac.
Should you make this recipe present us your pictures! We’re on Instagram at @BCFM.