Thekua are crisp crunchy cookies flavored with conventional Indian spices. These scrumptious fennel and cardamom scented deep fried cookies are a household favourite. If crunchy cookies are your choice, do that conventional Indian recipe right now!
Thekua is a conventional candy from Jap Indian states of Bihar and Jharkand. It’s made throughout Chhath Puja, a competition devoted to the Solar God (Surya Devta).
These are entire wheat cookies that are deep fried. The candy aroma of fennel seeds and cardamom performs fantastically with the caramel-molasses taste from jaggery.
This recipe gives you crispy and crunchy exterior with a comfortable inside, which to me is ideal for a cookie. Thekua have uneven cracked edges, making them each rustic in addition to crunchy.
They won’t appear like a superbly even cookie! The signature of a superbly made thekua would be the uneven edges, so don’t worry if they’re a tad misshapen.
Historically moulds with leaf or spherical patterns are used. To not fear in the event you do not need these ornamental moulds. You would use a cookie press, and even make designs on these fried cookies with a tooth choose or a wood skewer.
As cooler climate approaches and the times develop into shorter, the custom of tea time turns into much more essential to me.
This thekua recipe is a pleasant deal with to serve with a heat cup of your favourite chai, as their crunchy exteriors make them an ideal dipping cookie.
In case you’re in want of one thing to look ahead within the darker afternoons, strive these pleasant Indian cookie.
Is Thekua the identical as Khajuri?
Whereas the 2 Indian sweets are fairly related in how they’re made and even of their style profile, thekua and khajuri are literally completely different sweets.
The distinction between thekua and khajuri is that thekua is produced from entire wheat flour and jaggery, whereas khajuri is made with all-purpose flour and sugar.
Learn how to Make Thekua
With my step-by-step picture directions, you may make thekua simply and completely each time.
Make Thekua Dough
1. Whisk collectively the beneath listed dry components in a mixing bowl.
- 1.25 cups entire wheat flour (155 to 160 grams)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon contemporary grated coconut or desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon inexperienced cardamom powder
2. Soften 3 tablespoons ghee (25 grams) till sizzling.
3. Add sizzling ghee to the dry components.
4. Combine with a spoon.
5. Make sure that the combination is heat or cool sufficient to deal with after which combine the ghee with the flour till you get a breadcrumb-like consistency.
While you press the combination it ought to type a lump and never disintegrate.
6. Combine ½ cup chopped jaggery (85 grams) with ¼ cup water in a small saucepan.
7. Warmth till all of the jaggery melts on a medium-low warmth.
8. Add sizzling jaggery resolution to the flour, working in small batches. Add a number of tablespoons of the jaggery liquid at a time.
9. Combine with a spoon first.
10. Carry on including in jaggery resolution and mixing. Proceed till the entire jaggery resolution has been added.
Then combine and start to deliver the complete dough collectively and knead flippantly. Don’t overwork the dough.
Make a agency or semi-soft dough. Cowl with a lid or kitchen cotton towel and relaxation for quarter-hour.
If the dough has develop into sticky, add some flour and blend. If it seems dry or crumbly, add some water and mix with the dough.
11. Make small balls from the dough. You need to use a small “disher” or ice cream scoop to attain even portions of dough.
12. Flatten flippantly together with your palms or with a rolling pin.
13. Make patterns on the pressed dough utilizing a fork or a toothpick or bamboo skewer.
14. You can also make any patterns you want!
15. You can too press with a Peda (Indian milk fudge) maker or a cookie press, or use cookie stamps.
Hold the ready discs lined with a kitchen serviette to protect moisture till able to fry.
16. Warmth 1.5 cups oil in a kadai or wok. Verify a small piece of dough within the oil. Whether it is comes up regularly on prime, the oil is sizzling.
Then decrease the warmth to low or medium-low and gently place the thekua in sizzling oil. Don’t overcrowd the oil with the discs whereas frying.
You need to use a heavy bottomed saucepan and a impartial flavored, excessive smoke level oil. Canola, sunflower, peanut, vegetable or grapeseed oil are some selections.
17. When one facet is golden, gently flip over and fry the second facet. Be very cautious when turning and do it gently with a dinner spoon in order that they don’t break.
Flip over a few occasions and fry until golden and crisp. Jaggery provides a deeper golden coloration in contrast to plain sugar.
18. Place on kitchen paper towels to empty.
In batches fry the remaining formed cookies till golden & crisp after which place them on kitchen paper towels.
When the thekua are cooled to room temperature, retailer in an hermetic container.
Serve Thekua as a tea time snack or to rejoice Chaath Puja. Get pleasure from!
All the time retailer these Indian cookies in an air-tight jar or container. They hold properly at room temperature for a couple of week. You can too decide to retailer them within the fridge.
In case you make thekua with milk, retailer them within the fridge in an air-tight container.
- Liquids: You may simply swap water with milk. A model of thekua is made with milk which makes it much more richer.
- Jaggery: In case you are unable to seek out jaggery, you possibly can substitute darkish brown sugar, gentle brown sugar or granulated white sugar, uncooked sugar and even molasses. Simply word that the complicated taste of the jaggery will likely be lacking out of your ultimate product.
- Coconut: You may both use dry desiccated coconut or contemporary grated coconut. If not obtainable, then select to skip it.
- Spices: Each the spices fennel seeds and cardamom powder are important, so these can’t be skipped.
- Flour: For a lighter and extra tender variation of thekua, you should utilize all-purpose flour (maida) and even equal proportions of entire wheat flour or all-purpose flour. However word that you will want so as to add much less water when utilizing all-purpose flour.
Dough Troubleshooting Suggestions
What you’re on the lookout for is a dough that has somewhat little bit of elasticity. It needs to be someplace between a semi-soft and a agency dough.
- In case your dough seems crumbly and dry, add a number of tablespoons of water. Combine and flippantly knead once more.
- In case your dough has develop into sticky or too comfortable, add a number of tablespoons of flour. Mix the flour with the remaining dough by mixing and flippantly kneading.
When you make this thekua recipe a number of occasions, you’ll be capable to intuit the suitable consistency a bit extra simply!
Why are my thekua changing into so darkish?
Thekua needs to be a beautiful shade of golden brown when cooked correctly. Earlier than you start frying, a superb temperature to intention for is 180C – 190C (360F-375F), which you’ll be able to simply measure with a deep fry/sweet thermometer.
In case you do not need a thermometer on the prepared, there are 3 ways to verify the temperature:
1. First, you possibly can drop a small little bit of your dough within the oil. If it rises to the floor regularly and begins to bubble on the prime, the oil is prepared.
2. Secondly, you possibly can drop a small piece of bread into the shimmering oil. If it cooks to a golden brown in about 60 seconds, the temperature is correct. Ought to the bread stay pale, the oil requires extra time to warmth. If the bread turns into too darkish throughout a 60 second window, the oil is just too sizzling and will cool first.
3. Thirdly, you possibly can drop a kernel of popcorn in your oil as it’s heating. The popcorn will pop at about 180 diploma C/360 diploma F, so as soon as the kernel pops you have to be near an acceptable temperature.
Don’t fry on a excessive warmth because the thekua will darken too rapidly leaving the within dough raw. Fry at a low or medium-low warmth.
Flip solely when one facet is golden and do it gently. Take care when frying these cookies, as they’re fairly delicate.
To show the thekua, you should utilize two chopsticks to softly flip it within the oil. You can too use a spider skimmer as a substitute.
What’s Jaggery and the place can I discover it?
Jaggery is the Indian identify for an unrefined cane sugar made by cooking sugarcane (or generally date palm) juice in giant metallic vats.
It’s identified by different names relying in your homeland – piloncillo or panela are names utilized in Latin America, rapadura and chancaca in South America, and nam oy in Laos are only a few.
The sugarcane juice is cooked down, leaving a tough deposit that’s typically bought in blocks or cones. Whereas you could find it bought in a floor type, I don’t suggest it.
Jaggery has a much more complicated style than brown sugar, which is often comprised of granulated sugar and a little bit of molasses. It has earthy, caramel and smoke undertones, making it a very pleasant and distinctive ingredient for making sweets.
Jaggery is ubiquitous in Indian markets. Nevertheless, in case you are overseas it is best to be capable to discover it at Worldwide or Indian specialty grocers, in addition to at Latin supermercados.
You can too buy jaggery on-line, nevertheless the value is usually inflated above what you should buy it for in a daily grocery setting.
Completely! Simply improve the components in proportional portions.
The thekua will retailer for as much as per week in an hermetic container after cooking. You can too make the dough for this thekua recipe the night time earlier than you fry them and refrigerate it in plastic wrap.
Simply you’ll want to enable the dough to return to room temperature earlier than shaping and frying, or it could break.
This Thekua recipe makes for a flippantly sweetened cookie. In case you are on the lookout for a sweeter style, you possibly can improve the quantity of jaggery used.
Please you’ll want to price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Thekua Recipe (Chaath Puja Particular Candy)
Thekua are deep fried, crispy, crunchy cookies made with entire wheat flour, jaggery, coconut, ghee and flavored with conventional Indian spices – fennel and cardamom. It’s a common delicacy made throughout the Chhath Puja within the Jap Indian states of Bihar and Jharkand.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Take the wheat flour, salt, fennel seeds, grated coconut and cardamom powder in a mixing bowl. Combine properly and put aside.
In small bowl or pan, soften ghee till sizzling.
Add this sizzling ghee into the dry components and blend with a spoon.
- When the combination turns into heat or cool sufficient to deal with, then utilizing your fingers combine the ghee with the flour until you get a breadcrumb consistency. While you press the combination it ought to type a lump.
In a saucepan take the jaggery and water.
Warmth till all of the jaggery melts on medium-low flame.
Add sizzling jaggery resolution in components to the flour and blend with a spoon first.
Carry on including in components and mixing after which start to deliver the dough collectively and knead flippantly.
Make a agency or semi-soft dough.
Cowl the dough with a kitchen towel and relaxation for quarter-hour.
Later make small balls from the dough.
Frivolously flatten the dough balls together with your palms or with a rolling pin.
Press the flattened discs with a peda maker, cookie press or utilizing a toothpick, fork or bamboo skewers make design patterns.
Hold lined with a kitchen serviette or kitchen towel.
Warmth 1.5 cups oil in a kadai or wok.
Add a small piece of dough within the oil. Whether it is comes up regularly on prime, the oil is sizzling.
Hold the warmth to a medium-low and place the ready discs in sizzling oil.
- When one facet is golden, gently flip over and fry the second facet. Be very cautious when turning and do it gently with a dinner spoon or a slotted spoon in order that they don’t break.
Fry until golden and crisp. On account of jaggery these fried cookies have a deeper golden coloration.
Place on kitchen paper towels.
Fry the remaining formed cookies in batches till crispy and golden. Place the fried cookies on kitchen paper towels for any additional oil to be absorbed.
When the cookies cool at room temperature retailer in an hermetic container.
Serve Thekua as a tea time cookie.
- Scaling: Simply scale the recipe and make a small or giant batch.
- Make forward & storage: Make thekua and retailer it for per week in an hermetic container after frying. You would additionally make the dough the night time earlier than you fry them and refrigerate it in plastic wrap. Simply you’ll want to enable the dough to return to room temperature earlier than shaping and frying, or it could break.
- Dough texture: If dough seems crumbly and dry, add a number of tablespoons of water. If the dough has develop into sticky or too comfortable, add a number of tablespoons of flour.
- Jaggery substitute: You would use darkish brown sugar, gentle brown sugar or granulated white sugar and even molasses.
Thekua Recipe (Chaath Puja Particular Candy)
Quantity Per Serving (1 thekua)
Energy 85 Energy from Fats 36
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Ldl cholesterol 5mg2%
Vitamin A 1IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 3µg1%
* P.c Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Thekua recipe from the weblog archives was first revealed on November 2020. It has been up to date and republished on November 2023.