The Suji Ka Halwa of North India turns into the Kesari Tub within the Karnataka state of South India. One other related variant is that this Rava Kesari which can be a well-liked candy within the states of Tamil Nadu, Andhra & Telangana in South India. The wealthy Kesari Tub Recipe is a fast and straightforward to make candy dish, and has rava or sooji/suji (semolina/cream of wheat) as its predominant ingredient. Which is then cooked with some extra fundamental elements and saffron and a pure meals shade to offer it a sure yellow or orange hue. This ends in a easy, velvety and melt-in-mouth preparation.
About Kesari Tub
Kesari Tub, additionally known as Kesari Bhaat, Kesari Baat and even Kesari Bat is primarily a Karnataka type of constructing a halwa from basic elements like rava, ghee, sugar, water/milk and flavorings like cardamom and a few nuts or dry fruits.
One other function that makes it distinct than its North Indian counterpart is the addition of a pure orange or yellow shade (even saffron and turmeric powder can be utilized) in it, to herald a good looking hue.
The origin of the Kesari Tub Recipe is taken into account majorly to be in Karnataka, however there are historic evidences of it being made in different South Indian states like Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh as effectively.
There are a number of variations of the Kesari Tub the place it could have totally different fruity flavors like that of mango, banana, pineapple and even coconut.
It’s a in style preparation through the pageant of Ugadi as effectively. Usually, the preparation is relished as a candy dish or dessert in these states. Nonetheless, in Karnataka, it varieties part of a singular breakfast dish referred to as the Chow Chow Bath the place it’s served along with Khara Bath.
Since we stayed in Bangalore (now Bengaluru) for fairly a while, one in every of our particular go-to breakie dishes was this Chow Chow Tub itself. We completely beloved it because it served each savory and candy preparations collectively and made for a filling meal.
So, principally a savory Khara Tub (rava khichadi with combined veggies) together with the candy Kesari Tub and an earthy Coconut Chutney collectively varieties the composition of Chow Chow Tub.
The mélange of flavors from all these dishes individually, makes it an excellent hit for the palate. You need to do that dish at dwelling. You too will completely find it irresistible!
About My Recipe
The phrase ‘kesari’ within the Kesari Tub Recipe, actually means the colour ‘orange.’ Therefore, this silken candy pudding additionally basically has an orange shade to it.
Typically, it could be a vibrant yellow-colored too. These hues are achieved on this candy dish by the addition of edible meals colours or pure elements that add orange shade.
Often, in eating places and lodges, they use synthetic colours to attain this consequence within the dish. However I’ll at all times counsel to make use of pure edible meals extracts or natural coloring brokers like saffron or turmeric.
When utilizing turmeric, add only a pinch of it. In my recipe, I’ve used each a pure orange shade extract in addition to saffron strands.
Since a beneficiant amount of ghee goes into the making of Kesari Tub (additionally the rava bathtub), you possibly can put together them as soon as some time at dwelling and luxuriate in a wealthy, hearty and delectable meal. Should you plan to make these typically, then I’d say scale back the amount of ghee.
However doing so, particularly within the Kesari Tub Recipe, would possibly simply convey down the flavors a little bit low because it tastes higher with extra ghee.
Therefore, greatest is to make it throughout particular instances like every festive events and events and get-togethers, whenever you really bask in wealthy meals.
That is positively a fast recipe which takes about 20 minutes to get finished. Have it as a breakfast, candy snack or as a dessert after your meals, your alternative utterly.
The right way to make Kesari Tub
1. Warmth a thick bottomed heavy pan first. Preserve the warmth to a low and add ½ cup nice cream of wheat or semolina (rava or sooji).
2. Stirring typically, roast rava on low warmth.
3. Roast until the rava turns into aromatic and appears crisp. The nice rava granules must also separate.
Roasting rava takes about 5 to six minutes on low warmth. Then, flip off the warmth.
Take into account that the time taken to roast will depend upon the pan sort and thickness & the depth of warmth. So you possibly can take into account to roast for a number of extra minutes if wanted.
4. Take the roasted rava on a plate.
5. In the identical pan, take ½ tablespoon ghee.
6. Add 10 to 12 cashews.
7. Stirring typically, on low to medium warmth, fry until the cashews flip golden. Preserve apart. Reserve this ghee. We are going to add it within the kesari, later.
Make Sugar Resolution
8. In one other thick bottomed pan or kadai, take 1.5 cups water.
9. Add ⅓ cup sugar (60 grams). You too can add ½ cup sugar for a sweeter style.
10. Preserve the pan on low warmth and stir very effectively, in order that the sugar dissolves.
11. Add ½ tablespoon raisins and a pinch of saffron strands. I’ve added raisins within the sugar resolution and so they do soften up whereas cooking. If you would like, you possibly can even fry the raisins with cashews.
12. Add 1 to 2 drops of pure meals shade extract if utilizing, or else skip it. You may even add a pinch of turmeric powder.
13. Combine very effectively.
14. On low-medium warmth, convey this sugar resolution to a boil.
Make Kesari Tub
15. Relating to a boil, decrease the warmth. Add the roasted rava in 2 to three batches. First, add one batch and shortly stir in order that no lumps are shaped.
16. Proceed so as to add the remaining batch of rava.
17. Combine very effectively.
18. Add the reserved ghee and 1.5 to 2.5 tablespoons extra ghee.
16. Add ¼ teaspoon inexperienced cardamom powder.
17. Combine very effectively, in order that the ghee is distributed evenly within the Kesari Bhaat.
18. Cowl the pan and on low warmth or sim, let the combination cook dinner.
19. Prepare dinner for 3 to 4 minutes. The rava will take up the water and get finished. The ghee may also be absorbed and the combination may also thicken.
You shouldn’t see any tiny whitish or creamish specks on the rava. Should you see, which means the rava continues to be not cooked effectively.
20. As soon as the rava is cooked effectively, add the fried cashews.
21. Combine very effectively.
22. Serve Kesari Tub sizzling or heat. You too can pour it in in small to medium metal bowls or in small to medium tart moulds and allow them to turn out to be heat. As soon as heat, then unmold and serve.
- Should you like your desserts sweeter, then chances are you’ll enhance the amount of sugar on this recipe too. ⅓ cup sugar could be altered to ½ cup sugar.
- You need to add the rava in 2 to three batches. Once you add the primary batch, shortly stir it to keep away from lump formation.
- Raisins could be fried together with the cashews, after which added later.
- You may add the dry fruits and nuts, in accordance with your likings.
- Should you don’t have the pure meals shade extract, then you possibly can even add a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Keep in mind to roast rava rather well. The nice rava grains ought to look separate, crisp and have a pleasant nutty aroma after being roasted.
- This recipe could be elevated proportionally to make for extra servings.
Please be sure you charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Kesari Tub Recipe | How To Make Kesari Tub
Kesari Tub is a wealthy candy made with rava (cream of wheat), sugar, nuts, saffron, water and ghee. This in style candy from the Karnataka delicacies is fast and straightforward to arrange. It has rava (additionally referred to as sooji or suji in Hindi and semolina or cream of wheat in English) as its predominant ingredient.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 20 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Warmth a heavy and thick bottomed pan first. Preserve the warmth to a low and add the nice rava (sooji or cream of wheat).
Stirring typically roast rava on a low warmth.
Roast until the rava turns into aromatic and appears crisp. Takes about 5 to six minutes on a low warmth. Then flip off the warmth.
Switch all of the roasted rava in a plate and put aside.
In the identical pan, warmth ½ tablespoon ghee.
Add 10 to 12 cashews.
Stirring them typically on a low to medium warmth fry until they get golden. Preserve apart. Reserve this ghee to be added later within the kesari.
Making kesari bathtub
In one other thick bottomed pan or kadai, take 1.5 cups water.
Add the sugar.
Preserve the pan on a low warmth and stir very effectively, in order that the sugar dissolves.
- Add raisins and the saffron strands. I’ve added raisins within the sugar syrup and so they do soften up whereas cooking. Should you desire you possibly can even fry the raisins with cashews.
Add 1 to 2 drops of pure meals shade extract if utilizing or else skip it. Combine very effectively.
On a low-medium warmth convey this sugar resolution to a boil.
- Relating to a boil, then decrease the warmth. Add the roasted rava in 2 to three batches. First add one batch and shortly stir to combine in order that no lumps are shaped. Proceed so as to add the remaining batch of rava and blend very effectively.
Add remaining ghee through which the cashews have been fried and likewise add extra 1.5 to 2.5 tablespoons ghee.
Sprinkle the inexperienced cardamom powder.
Combine very effectively, in order that the ghee is distributed evenly within the kesari bathtub.
Cowl the pan and on a low warmth or sim let the kesari bhaat combination cook dinner.
Simmer and cook dinner for 3 to 4 minutes on low warmth.
- The rava granules will take up all of the water and cook dinner. The combination may also thicken. You shouldn’t see any whitish or creamish tiny specks on the rava. Should you see then which means the rava continues to be not cooked effectively.
As soon as the rava is cooked effectively then add the fried cashews.
Combine very effectively.
- Serve Kesari Tub sizzling or heat. You too can pour the kesari bhath combination in small to medium metal bowls or in small to medium tart moulds and allow them to turn out to be heat. As soon as heat then unmold and serve.
- The recipe could be elevated proportionally.
- You too can add ½ cup sugar for a extra candy style.
- You may add your alternative of nuts and dry fruits.
- The Raisins could be fried together with the cashews after which added to kesari bathtub.
- Along with saffron you can too add a pinch of turmeric powder for a extra deeper shade.
- Be at liberty to lower the quantity of ghee if you happen to desire.
- Be certain that you roast the rava rather well. Use a thick bottomed pan for even roasting of the rava.
- Keep in mind that the time taken to roast rava is determined by the pan sort, pan thickness and the depth of warmth. So you possibly can take into account to roast rava for a number of extra minutes extra if required.
Kesari Tub Recipe | How To Make Kesari Tub
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 316 Energy from Fats 117
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 7g44%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Ldl cholesterol 26mg9%
Vitamin A 1IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.3mg20%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 4mg20%
Vitamin B6 0.2mg10%
Vitamin C 0.3mg0%
Vitamin E 0.1mg1%
Vitamin Ok 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 36µg9%
* P.c Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Kesari Tub recipe from the weblog archives first printed on October 2016 has been republished and up to date on March 2023.