Welcome to grilled cheese 101! Learn on to discover ways to make a grilled cheese sandwich with a crisp, golden exterior and melty heart each time.
In the event you’re questioning the best way to make a grilled cheese sandwich, Jack’s your man. He makes one so typically that we have now a devoted grilled cheese pan in our kitchen. It’s seen 1,000,000 grilled cheese experiments in its day–mayo on the bread, or softened butter? American cheese or Swiss?–all of which have helped him work out what, in our opinion, is THE BEST grilled cheese recipe. It’s extremely easy, nevertheless it yields an undeniably crave-able sandwich. This grilled cheese is crisp and golden on the skin and deliciously melty within the center (see that cheese pull up there?!). Tomato soup for serving is non-obligatory, however extremely really helpful.
Grilled Cheese Recipe Elements
Able to grasp this grilled cheese recipe? Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Good bread – My most popular sort of bread for this recipe is sourdough, as a result of I like the tang it provides to the sandwich. I positively advocate making an attempt it out, however when you’re a grilled cheese purist, or when you don’t maintain sourdough readily available, common white bread will work right here too.
- Mayonnaise – For the skin of the bread! It helps it cook dinner up with a crisp, fantastically browned exterior.
- Dijon mustard – It’s not completely conventional, nevertheless it’s SO scrumptious, including delicate tangy taste.
- Butter – For the pan.
- And cheese, in fact! I like to make use of a combo of two completely different cheeses to provide the sandwich a richer style. Questioning which of them are greatest? Hold studying!
What’s the perfect cheese for grilled cheese?
Okay, so truthfully, you may make an awesome grilled cheese sandwich with any forms of cheese that soften effectively, from mozzarella to havarti to Monterey Jack or pepper jack. BUT I’ve a couple of favorites, and I believe they actually set this recipe aside.
- Sharp cheddar – For me, it’s a grilled cheese important! You simply can’t beat its sharp, nutty taste. It additionally melts fantastically. I like to mix it with one of many two cheeses beneath.
- Gruyère or raclette – Each of those cheeses are forms of Alpine-style Swiss cheese. They’re unparalleled melters, and every is salty and nutty, with a little bit of funk. Paired with the cheddar, they create a sandwich that has the gooey nostalgia of a basic grilled cheese, however with a tad additional complexity. Between the 2, I couldn’t decide a favourite. Select whichever is available at your grocery retailer!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements beneath.
How one can Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich (My Greatest Ideas!)
Right here’s our straightforward methodology for the best way to make a grilled cheese sandwich:
- Unfold mayo on the skin of the bread. Not butter! The mayo helps the bread brown insanely effectively within the skillet, making a mouthwatering crunch while you chunk into the sandwich. It additionally offers the sandwich a richer taste. Unfold the within of 1 slice of bread with a layer of Dijon mustard.
- Add grated cheese. I discover that grated cheese melts extra evenly than a slice of cheese does. (Although in fact, when you select to make use of a softer sort of cheese, similar to brie, you’ll need to slice it.) Use sufficient to create a small mound of grated cheese over one slice of bread, typically 1 to 2 ounces of every sort of cheese. Place the opposite slice of bread on prime, mayo aspect out!
- Select the proper skillet. We like to make use of cast-iron as a result of it creates beautiful browning on the skin of the sandwich. In a pinch, nonstick works too!
- Go low and gradual. I don’t increase my warmth any greater than medium-low. If the pan will get too sizzling, the bread will burn earlier than the cheese melts.
- Cowl the pan. Add sufficient butter to coat the underside of the pan. Then, add the sandwich, and COVER the skillet. The lid will entice steam within the pan, serving to soften the cheese because the bread toasts. Cook dinner for two to three minutes, or till the bread is golden brown. Flip and cook dinner, coated, on the second aspect.
- Modify the warmth as wanted. Decrease it if the bread is browning too rapidly!
When the bread is browned on either side and the sandwich is stuffed with melty cheese, take away it from the pan. Slice (into triangles, please!), and serve!
We love this recipe as written, however when you’re itching to vary it up, hey! You do you! Listed below are a couple of concepts to get you began:
- Change the cheese, clearly! Swap the Gruyere for fontina or gouda, use 100% cheddar, or sprinkle in some blue cheese for additional funk. Like I mentioned above, any good melter goes!
- Add veggies. Tuck in a little bit sautéed spinach, caramelized onions, chopped steamed broccoli, roasted red peppers, or roasted tomatoes.
- Add fruit. For actually connoisseur grilled cheese sandwiches, use a mixture of Gruyere and brie cheese together with thinly sliced apples or a slather of fig jam.
- Pickles, please! Layer in pickled red onions, pickled radishes, or pickled jalapeños for a enjoyable pop of taste.
- Get saucy. Change the mustard with a distinct sauce you’re keen on! Pesto, for instance, is unbelievable on a sandwich with mozzarella and provolone cheese.
Let me know what variations you attempt!
Extra Favourite Tacky Recipes
In the event you beloved studying the best way to make an ideal grilled cheese sandwich, attempt one in all these tacky recipes subsequent:
Discover ways to make the BEST grilled cheese sandwich! This straightforward recipe yields a grilled cheese with a crisp, golden exterior and a gooey, melty, tacky center. Scrumptious with tomato soup!
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese, relying on the dimensions of your bread
- 1 to 2 ounces grated Gruyère or raclette cheese, relying on the dimensions of your bread
- Butter, for the pan
Place the bread slices on a reducing board and unfold the highest aspect with a skinny layer of mayo. Flip one slice of bread and unfold its different aspect with Dijon mustard. Layer the cheddar and Gruyère or Raclette cheeses on prime of the mustard, then place the opposite slice of bread on prime of the cheese, mayo aspect out.
Warmth a nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-low warmth and soften sufficient butter within the backside of the pan to coat it. Place the sandwich within the pan, cowl, and cook dinner for two to three minutes, or till the underside slice of bread is golden brown and crisp. Flip, substitute the lid, and cook dinner till the opposite slice of bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, 1 to three minutes. Scale back the warmth to low if the bread is getting too brown earlier than the cheese is absolutely melted.
Slice and serve.