From being a superfood loaded with well being advantages, a well-liked ingredient throughout vrat (Hindu fasting) season, an auspicious providing to Gods and Goddesses, a wholesome snack choice and extra – makhana/phool makhana is actually a wonderful meals. The Roasted Makhana is the best method in which you’ll be able to devour this nutritious edible a part of the prickly water lily plant. Observe the steps of this Roasted Makhana recipe (Phool Makhana recipe) and revel in it with your loved ones and buddies.
Makhana generally known as phool makhana, foxnuts or gorgon nuts are the puffed edible seeds of the Euryale ferox plant or prickly water lily.
A local to japanese Asia, the house of those vegetation are the marshy waters of ponds/wetlands the place they develop and flourish one of the best.
There isn’t any use of any pesticides or fertilizers in its cultivation. Thus, making these seeds fully natural in nature.
Makhana, lotus seeds or foxnuts are a wonderful supply of proteins, calcium, carbohydrates, iron, phosphorous, zinc and thiamine. Due to its impartial style and the flexibility to soak up flavours, it may be spiced up in accordance with private selections.
This Roasted Makhana recipe of Phool Makhana recipe offers you a simple method to take action. You may as well simply roast the seeds and as soon as they’re cool, retailer them in an air-tight container.
Pop them everytime you need to snack frivolously and in a wholesome method. Is a superb alternative on your film marathons or Netflix binge-watching periods as effectively. Higher than that bath of popcorn!
Historical past of Makhana
Makhana, phool makhana or foxnuts have been thought-about as an essential meals merchandise within the historic science of Ayurveda and in conventional Chinese language drugs too for 3000 years.
In India, Madhubani within the Mithilanchal area of Bihar is called the ‘motherland’ of makhana. Historical past mentions the cultivation of makhana on this area throughout the 18th century, by an impoverished group of farmers utilizing conventional strategies.
It’s from right here that makhana traveled to different elements of India and now has reached international locations like Canada, Pakistan, Malaysia, Bangladesh, and so forth.
So as to give an enormous push to exports, makhana additionally known as as ‘black diamond,’ is being thought-about for a Geographical Indication (GI) Tag by the federal government of India.
For which, it’s already present process strict high quality checks in Madhubani, Bihar. As soon as that is accomplished, the state of Bihar will formally have the rights to assert makhana as its unique produce.
About Roasted Makhana
I’ve been a fan of makhana for the reason that time I’ve tasted the Makhana Kheer and in addition the Roasted Makhana (Masala Makhana) that’s commonly made at my dwelling.
I additionally make different savory dishes with this surprise ingredient and all of them are supreme in style.
This Roasted Makhana makes for a superb in-between lunch snack or night snack that’s excessive on vitamin. You’ll be able to get pleasure from it guilt-free along with your chai or espresso.
So far as spicing this Roasted Makhana recipe is worried, I’ve been utilizing our Indian spices and the all-time favourite chaat masala until now. However I’m wanting ahead to making an attempt a mix of different western herbs/spices within the coming days.
In India, makhana can be served throughout many spiritual capabilities and festivals as a ‘prashad.’ The distinction between this and different preparations is that the prashad has makhana which is comfortable, in contrast to the crisp ones when roasted.
Makhana can be an incredible choice for getting ready and consuming meals throughout vrat or fasts. Opposite to its humble and uninteresting look, the style and texture that it imparts to any dish is de facto commendable.
It’s nutritiously mild on the abdomen, but filling too. So, go forward give your fasting meals a tasty makeover with makhana.
- Be certain to retailer makhana in an hermetic container and away from any moisture. It will get spoiled if uncovered to even little moisture. You’ll be able to even refrigerate them. Wrapping the makhana in kitchen paper after which placing in a poly zip bag additionally retains makhana contemporary and edible for a superb time.
- To take care of the shelf lifetime of makhana, it’s essential to additionally keep away from storing it in a moist place. As a substitute, retailer it in a dry place to extend the shelf life.
- Be certain that your palms are wiped fully dry whereas eradicating makhanas out of the container. The slightest of moisture can spoil them.
- Incase you will have a big amount of makhana, ensure to maintain the makhana container in direct daylight as soon as some time. It will get rid of the moisture in them and maintain them contemporary for an extended time.
- You can also make a candy model of this Roasted Makhana recipe or Phool Makhana recipe. Add jaggery, dried coconut shavings, raisins, and so forth. as an alternative of the spice powders and salt. You may additionally make a caramel makhana.
- You may infinite taste combos – make it tangy, spicy, tacky or herby. However bear in mind to make use of dry herbs, spices and seasonings.
- If not making for fasting, use common salt to season. You may additionally use black salt or pink salt.
- You may as well use coconut oil as an alternative or ghee or common oil to roast the makhana and elevate the flavour. Including nuts like almonds, peanuts or cashews additionally deliver in additional crunch and makes it a fancier model.
One of the best ways to relish this Roasted Makhana is to arrange it and devour it inside per week. Nonetheless, if saved correctly in an hermetic container, it stays good for about 10 to fifteen days.
You must roast the makhana for about 10 to 12 minutes on low warmth. This fashion you should have completely crisp makhanas.
Makhana ought to be refrained from any moisture. So, one of the simplest ways to retailer it’s in an hermetic container and in a dry place or the fridge.
Keep away from placing the makhana within the hermetic container instantly after it’s roasted. Be certain the Roasted Makhana is cooled to room temperature first after which saved within the hermetic container to stop it from getting soggy.
Sure, you may.
Navratri & Fasting Recipes
Navratri & Fasting Recipes
Navratri & Fasting Recipes
Navratri & Fasting Recipes
Please you should definitely charge the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath when you’ve got made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Roasted Makhana Recipe
Roasted Makhana is a wholesome snack that’s made with sluggish roasting/toasting phool makhana or foxnuts with spices and seasonings.
Prepare dinner Time 10 minutes
Whole Time 10 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Making roasted makhana recipe
Warmth oil in a heavy wok or kadai.
Add the makhana and roast for a superb 10 to 12 minutes on low warmth, until they turn into crisp. Carry on stirring in between.
Subsequent, add all of the spice powders and rock salt, besides chaat masala.
Flip off the warmth as you do not need the spice powders to get burnt.
Stir the entire combination effectively.
Lastly, sprinkle the chaat masala powder and once more combine effectively.
Serve Roasted Makhana once they turn into lukewarm or cool at room temperature.
Do not forget that as soon as they settle down, retailer in an air-tight container.
- You may simply roast massive portions of makhana and later retailer them on your on a regular basis snacks.
- Make the recipe your individual by including your favourite seasonings and spices. Use solely dry spices and herbs.
This Roasted Makhana recipe publish from the weblog archives first printed in April 2013 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.