Easy and delightfully tasty, this Maharashtrian-style recipe for Puri Bhaji (also referred to as Poori Bhaji) is a favourite Indian breakfast and avenue snack. A deeply flavored semi-dry potato preparation which we name Batata Bhaji is served with crisp, fried rounds of dough referred to as Poori or Puri for a stunning and filling meal.
About Puri Bhaji
Batata Bhaji is a dry, flavorful potato curry that’s spiced with inexperienced chilis, onion, ginger, and a bunch of Indian spices. This scrumptious Aloo Sabji is then served with a plateful of sunshine and crisp fried bread referred to as puri (or poori).
The results of this mix is just blissful. Creamy potatoes are flavored with vibrant, gentle elements and are given a textural focal point with the poori. This recipe for Puri Bhaji is my mother’s recipe, and it’s good.
Whereas we like to eat this carb-heavy meal for breakfast, additionally it is a terrific candidate for packing into tiffins and consuming for lunch or a day snack.
Puri Bhaji is commonly served alongside some sort of Dal, Rice, Raita, and a Kachumber or Koshimbir salad on a thali, and can also be typically accompanied with onion slices, lemon wedges, and coconut chutney.
On the day I shot the images for Poori Bhaji, I additionally made a easy Moong Dal, rice and had some pickled carrots-beet (leftover from making Carrot Kanji – a North Indian fermented preparation) to go alongside. This straightforward, straightforward, and comforting meal is a microcosm of the best way we wish to eat!
Whereas a few of the elements are fairly related, this poori bhaji could be very completely different from the Punjabi Aloo Poori that I make. Aloo poori is extra of a moist, soupy curry of potatoes in a tomato gravy, whereas the Maharashtrian dish offered immediately is a dry curry referred to as a sabzi.
This can be a basic instance of the variability and variety of Indian delicacies – utilizing the common-or-garden potato and related Indian spices & herbs, two fully completely different meals come up. This is only one amongst many explanation why I like my nation’s delicacies.
The Batata Bhaji in Marathi, which is what we name the Aloo Sabji, in Hindi, will also be served with chapati or dosa for those who don’t have pooris available.
Notice: Within the publish under, I solely point out methods to make the bhaji and hyperlink to the Poori Recipe. Many people already know methods to make poori and I didn’t need the publish to grow to be too prolonged. Please go to the poori publish for step-by-step directions and images on methods to make these fried breads.
Tips on how to Make Batata Bhaji
1. First, boil 4 medium-sized complete potatoes with water until they’re utterly cooked (i.e. fork tender) and allow them to cool.
You too can prepare dinner the potatoes in a steamer or stress cooker or the Instantaneous Pot for those who choose including water as wanted.
2. As soon as cooled, peel and chop them. Put aside.
3. Warmth 2 to three tablespoons oil in a pan on a low flame. Add the 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and 1.5 teaspoon of urad dal.
In the event you don’t have urad dal, omit including these lentils.
4. They may all start to prepare dinner collectively. The mustard will crackle, the cumin will sizzle and the urad dal will brown. Fry on a low warmth, being cautious to not let the spices burn.
Don’t permit the above spices to get burned or the bhaji can have bitter notes.
5. Instantly add 1 cup chopped onions and stir to combine. Sauté onion on low to medium warmth stirring typically till they soften. Don’t brown them.
6. When the onions soften, add the 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chilies and 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger. Stir and fry for some seconds on a low warmth.
7. Add 12 to fifteen curry leaves. Stir and fry for a couple of seconds.
8. Add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing), then stir to combine.
9. Now add the cooked diced potatoes and ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves. Stir and blend once more.
10. Add ⅓ cup water and salt to style, then stir.
11. Cowl the pan and let the potatoes simmer for five to six minutes on a low warmth.
12. Flip off the warmth once you get the specified consistency within the bhaji, which isn’t very dry or runny however has some moisture or is semi-dry. However do be happy to maintain the consistency you favor.
In the event you choose, you possibly can add the remaining ¼ cup of chopped coriander leaves and blend or select to garnish later with the coriander whilst you serve.
The Batata Bhaji is now able to be served with poori!
This straightforward recipe is a favourite of mine since you don’t must undergo a whole lot of fuss to get it on the desk. All the identical, I’ve assembled my greatest tips and tricks to get your Puri Bhaji good each single time:
- Boil the potatoes complete to make peeling simpler. The skins will slip off with virtually no effort for those who do!
- Salt your water when boiling so as to add extra taste to the potatoes. Salting your water previous to boiling starchy gadgets like pasta or potatoes helps to infuse them with extra taste.
- Be at liberty to boil the potatoes forward of time! In case you are somebody who likes to meal prep, merely boil the potatoes the night time (or weekend) earlier than you intend on making the bhaji. Boiled potatoes will maintain within the fridge for as much as 2 to three days.
Completely! Be at liberty to prep your elements the night time earlier than so you possibly can serve the meal straight from the sauté pan, or make the bhaji and maintain it coated within the fridge for as much as 1 day. The poori are greatest inside a day of frying, however you may make the dough as much as a day or two upfront.
In fact! You possibly can swap in cauliflower, or be happy so as to add in different veggies like inexperienced peas or carrots.
Wait for two whistles and your potatoes needs to be good.
Please make sure to fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under when you’ve got made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Puri Bhaji | Batata Bhaji
This can be a heat, evenly spiced potato dish known as Batata Bhaji with hints of coriander, ginger and different Indian spices. This semi-dry potato preparation is served with the fried Indian bread known as poori (or puri) and thus known as Puri Bhaji.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 40 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First rinse the potatoes completely in water.
Boil the potatoes in water until they’re cooked utterly and are fork tender.
You might decide to prepare dinner potatoes in a stovetop stress cooker, steamer pan or the Instantaneous Pot.
As soon as they’re heat or calm down, peel them and chop.
Making Batata Bhaji
In a pan, warmth the peanut oil. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and urad dal.
Fry until the mustard crackles and begins making sound and the urad dal begins to show brown.
Add the chopped onions. Fry on low to medium-heat till they grow to be gentle and translucent.
Subsequent add the chopped ginger and inexperienced chilies. Fry for some seconds on low warmth.
Add the curry leaves. Stir and fry for a couple of seconds.
Add the turmeric powder and asafoetida. Stir to combine on low warmth. Do not burn the turmeric.
Subsequent, add the chopped potatoes, and half of the coriander leaves.
Stir to combine and add water. Season with salt. Stir to mix evenly. Cowl the pan with lid.
Let the batata bhaji simmer for 5-6 minutes on a low warmth.
There needs to be some moisture within the bhaji and it shouldn’t be very dry.
Flip off warmth and add the remaining chopped coriander leaves.
- Stir to combine. Serve the Batata Bhaji sizzling with Poori, chapati or dosa.
- To make gentle, crispy puris, verify the detailed recipe right here – Poori Recipe
- Add extra inexperienced chillies, if you wish to make a spicy batata bhaji.
- In the event you like coconut, you possibly can add 1 to 2 tablespoons of recent grated coconut within the bhaji.
- Make the bhaji with any impartial tasting oil, for those who don’t have peanut or sunflower oil.
Puri Bhaji | Batata Bhaji
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 341 Energy from Fats 162
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 3g19%
Polyunsaturated Fats 6g
Monounsaturated Fats 8g
Vitamin A 261IU5%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 37mg185%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 105mg127%
Vitamin E 3mg20%
Vitamin Okay 11µg10%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 393µg98%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight loss program.
This Poori Bhaji publish from the archives, first revealed in March 2013 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.