Black bear meat is nice for you, being excessive in protein and containing iron and omega-3 fatty acids. Bears have been the middle of analysis for potential medical breakthroughs for arthritis and osteoporosis. How can a bruin hibernate for as much as six months and never lose any bone density?
In addition to being good for you, bear meat is scrumptious. A strong stew is taken into account consolation meals in most circles, and you’ll kick it up a notch with a medley of peppers. Understanding your desk company nicely is important to make sure that warmth and taste profiles will please all palates.
You should utilize candy purple, orange and yellow peppers, however this recipe shines with a mix of sizzling peppers. We used poblano, serrano, jalapeño and Hungarian, however you may go loopy with habanero, ghost or Carolina reapers. It’s sensible to know the Scoville scale, which is a warmth score for peppers. Inexperienced bell pepper is zero, whereas a jalapeño is 5,000, a serrano 23,000, and a ghost pepper is 1,041,427. It’s simple to see that the warmth vary may be extreme, and the Scoville hotness you utilize within the stew will tackle the flavour and warmth of the peppers you select.
The pepper flavors come by way of on this dish however don’t overpower the meat. If in case you have an excessive amount of warmth, likelihood is you’ll not style a lot in any respect.
• 2 lbs. sizzling peppers—select to manage warmth and taste
• 2 lbs. black bear roast, lower into ½-inch items
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 Tbsp chili powder
• 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp cumin
• ½ tsp kosher salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• (1) 10-oz. can Rotel (gentle, medium, serrano or sizzling)
• 1 lb. yellow potatoes, cubed
• 4 carrots peeled and cubed
• 6 cups hen broth (½ cup reserved)
• (1) 12-oz. beer
• ¼ cup cornstarch
• ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1. Minimize peppers in half lengthwise, set them on a baking sheet, and brush with olive oil—bake or barbecue the peppers at 400°F for 20 minutes. The pepper skins will blister and might look burnt. Place the peppers in a plastic bag or container and seal them for 2 minutes to launch the skins. Take away pores and skin, then chop the roasted, skinned peppers.
2. Place the cubed meat right into a plastic bag or container. Add olive oil, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.
3. Warmth a big Camp Chef cast-iron frying pan to medium warmth and add the seasoned meat. Brown the meat and put aside.
4. Add the peppers, meat, onion, garlic, potatoes and carrots to a crockpot. Pour the hen broth and beer over the combination and stir.
5. Set the crockpot on excessive for 4 to 6 hours (verify the tenderness of the meat, and don’t overcook potatoes and carrots.)
6. Combine the cornstarch and reserved hen broth. Add to the stew slowly whereas stirring. The stew will thicken because the contents warmth in about 10 minutes.
7. Serve the stew sizzling and garnish with chopped cilantro.
*Pepper ribs and seeds may be eliminated earlier than roasting to cut back the depth. If you’re unsure, begin with jalapeños and work into hotter varieties.
For extra scrumptious wild-game recipes, click here.