This vegan curry pot pie recipe was a “fundamental course” entry in a recipe that we held a number of years in the past. It was submitted by reader Vanessa Burnum. She makes use of a combination of lite coconut milk and broth to maintain the filling gentle and flavorful, and chooses complete grain flour for the majority of the biscuit topping.
Whip Up this Vegan Curry Pot Pie for a Wholesome Weeknight Meal
We initially posted this vegan curry pot pie recipe in 2014, however have since up to date it with vitamin info, some extra particulars, and solutions to some ingredient FAQs.
Can I Substitute Floor Ginger for the Recent Ginger?
Sure, use 1/2 teaspoon floor ginger rather than the contemporary ginger. In order for you a much less pronounced ginger taste, you need to use simply 1/4 teaspoon.
How Can I Scale back the Sodium on this Vegan Curry Pot Pie?
You need to use low-sodium vegetable broth. Or just style take a look at the filling earlier than including any salt. Add the salt to style. You would possibly discover much less fits your wants simply wonderful. I wouldn’t lower the salt within the biscuits, as this does assist the flavour.
Can I Use a Totally different Sort of Lentils?
I don’t advocate swapping the lentils. Pink lentils cook dinner up shortly, which is why Vanessa likes them for this recipe. Should you use one other sort of lentils, they are going to should be cooked for for much longer to turn into tender.
Can I Use Candy Potatoes?
Undoubtedly! Simply bear in mind that candy potatoes cook dinner up extra shortly than common potatoes. However the taste of yams does go properly with curry.
Do I Should Use Two Varieties of Flour within the Biscuits?
No, you need to use simply all-purpose flour for all the flour if most well-liked. Utilizing all complete wheat pastry flour may even work – the biscuits will simply be a bit of extra dense. Should you choose to make use of one other sort of complete wheat flour, I might enhance the ratio of all-purpose flour for optimum outcomes. Complete wheat pastry flour is a finer, lighter grind than most different sorts.
Particular Weight loss plan Choices: Vegan Curry Pot Pie
By substances, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, vegan and vegetarian.
For soy-free and vegan curry pot pie, omit the TVP or take into account changing it together with your favourite hearty protein that’s soy-free. You may even enhance the lentils by 1/2 cup instead. Additionally, you should definitely choose a dairy-free soy-free margarine.
Wholesome Vegan Curry Pot Pie
Writer: Vanessa Burnum
Recipe sort: Entree
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated contemporary ginger
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon floor turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon floor cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon crimson pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose or complete wheat flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1¾ cups lite canned coconut milk
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup crimson lentils
- 1 cup chopped potatoes
- ½ cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup plain unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar (can sub your favourite sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups complete wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free buttery unfold, warmed to room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and grease a 3-quart casserole dish.
- Warmth the oil in a skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and saute till tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, salt, cumin, turmeric, cardamom, and crimson pepper flakes and saute for 30 seconds. Add the flour and stir till evenly coated.
- Pour within the vegetable broth, coconut milk, and water. Add the lentils, potatoes, and TVP. Cook dinner till the combination has thickened and the lentils and potatoes are comfortable, round quarter-hour. (Whereas this simmers, make the Biscuit Topping under.)
- Add the peas and warmth via. Add extra salt if wanted.
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively the milk beverage, agave nectar, and vinegar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Add the buttery unfold and whisk till coarse meal types. Add the milk beverage combination and stir then knead simply till the dough holds collectively.
- Pour the filling into your ready casserole dish. Unfold the biscuit dough on high.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or till the crust is golden brown.
Serving dimension: ⅙ pie Energy: 359 Fats: 10.4g Saturated fats: 4.7g Carbohydrates: 50.3g Sugar: 6.5g Sodium: 1236mg Fiber: 14.6g Protein: 17.6g