This pasta primavera recipe is mild, contemporary, and easy to make. Filled with colourful veggies, it is the right straightforward dinner for spring or summer time night time.
I like to make this pasta primavera recipe after a visit to the farmers market in early summer time. I come house with baggage filled with produce. Some include spring veggies like asparagus and peas that can solely be obtainable for just a few extra weeks. Others maintain summer time finds like zucchini, squash, and cherry tomatoes whose season is simply beginning. The second when all these spring and summer time greens collide is so temporary that I really feel like I’ve to have a good time it. So, I cook dinner a pot of pasta, sauté the veggies, and toss them collectively to make this pasta primavera recipe.
Pasta Primavera Recipe Elements
Whereas pasta primavera means “spring pasta” in Italian, the dish itself is definitely American. The story goes that it originated at the New York restaurant Le Cirque in the 1970s, and within the years following, it began popping up on Italian restaurant menus all around the US. The unique model featured spaghetti and a wealthy butter and cream sauce, however as of late, the identify “pasta primavera” is given to all types of veggie pastas.
Right here’s what I take advantage of in my take:
- Pasta, in fact! I like to make use of penne pasta as a result of the noodles are an identical dimension to the chopped greens. It makes it straightforward to get a little bit of all the things in every chunk!
- Garlic and purple onion – For savory depth of taste.
- Yellow squash and zucchini – Be at liberty to make use of only one or the opposite in case you can’t discover each!
- Asparagus – For complexity and crunch.
- Cherry tomatoes – They develop into gentle and bursty, flippantly coating the pasta of their juices.
- Peas – I usually use thawed frozen peas, although in case you occur to have contemporary shell peas, you possibly can completely blanch them and toss them in.
- Pecorino cheese – It makes the pasta flippantly creamy. Parmesan cheese can be nice right here too!
- Recent lemon juice – I like its brilliant taste with all of the contemporary greens.
- Purple pepper flakes – They add a little bit warmth.
- Recent basil and tarragon – They convey a lot taste to this straightforward pasta dish. Technically, the tarragon is non-compulsory, but when you will discover it, I extremely advocate utilizing it. It actually takes this recipe excessive!
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop.
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
Make Pasta Primavera
This pasta primavera needs to be one of many easiest dinner recipes on Love & Lemons. It’s really easy to make! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, cook dinner the pasta in a big pot of salted boiling water. Drain it when it’s simply al dente. It’ll cook dinner a little bit extra with the veggies on the range, so that you wish to watch out to not overcook it now. Toss the pasta with a drizzle of oil to forestall sticking.
Subsequent, sauté the veggies. I LOVE that each one the greens cook dinner in a single pan on this recipe! Warmth a glug of olive oil in a big skillet, and toss within the garlic, onion, zucchini, squash, asparagus, and cherry tomatoes. It solely takes a couple of minutes for the greens to melt.
Then, add the pasta, peas, cheese, and lemon juice. Toss till the cheese melts down and coats the pasta in a flippantly creamy sauce. Stir within the contemporary herbs, and season to style.
Lastly, garnish with extra basil, and serve!
Pasta Primavera Serving Options
This pasta primavera makes a incredible meal by itself, although in case you like, you possibly can definitely pair it with a aspect dish or two. We like it with buttery slices of garlic bread and a aspect salad. Attempt serving it with any of those salad recipes:
Take pleasure in!
Extra Favourite Pasta Recipes
Should you love this pasta primavera recipe, strive one among these contemporary pasta recipes subsequent:
Filled with seasonal veggies, this pasta primavera is an easy, contemporary spring or summer time dinner. I record the tarragon as non-compulsory, however I extremely advocate utilizing it to take this recipe excessive!
- 10 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced into skinny half moons
- 1 zucchini, sliced into skinny half moons
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1-inch items
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup thinly sliced purple onion
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- ¾ cup grated pecorino cheese
- 3 tablespoons contemporary lemon juice
- Purple pepper flakes
- 1 cup contemporary basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
- ¼ cup contemporary tarragon, non-compulsory
- Freshly floor black pepper
Carry a big pot of salted water to a boil. Put together the pasta in keeping with the package deal directions, cooking till al dente. Drain and toss with a drizzle of olive oil to forestall sticking.
Warmth the oil in a big, deep skillet over medium warmth. Add the garlic, squash, zucchini, asparagus, tomatoes, onion, salt, and several other grinds of pepper and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, or till the greens are tender.
Add the pasta, peas, cheese, lemon juice, and a pinch of purple pepper flakes and toss to mix. Stir within the basil and tarragon, if utilizing.
Season to style, garnish with extra basil, and serve.