Right here’s a recipe of a vegetarian Kashmiri Biryani which has no onion, no garlic, made with greens and nonetheless is totally able to making you fall in love with it. Do this scrumptious biryani from the Kashmiri Pandit type of cooking right this moment.
Extra on this Kashmiri Biryani
This delectable veg Kashmiri Biryani recipe is loosely tailored from the pocket-sized books I’ve on Kashmiri Pandit delicacies. I usually make Kashmiri meals at dwelling and had made this veg biryani throughout one of many visits by my dad and mom.
They did really feel the distinction in style as a result of absence of onions or garlic, however however favored the biryani. Onion and garlic impart their very own flavors to any dish. Crisp fried onions or ‘birista’ additionally add a contact of sweetness to a biryani, identical to on this Mughlai Biryani.
On this Kashmiri Biryani recipe, asafoetida performs an essential function in substituting for the flavour of onions and garlic. Fennel powder and dried ginger powder together with different complete spices additionally add their distinctive style and aroma.
I’ve used garam masala powder on this Kashmiri Biryani recipe. Incase you may have the well-known Kashmiri Ver Masala, you have to use that. This typical masala is usually composed of cumin, cinnamon, coriander, peppercorns, fennel, cloves and extra. Positively a brilliant seasoning spice combine.
It is a layered biryani recipe, so some preparation must be accomplished beforehand. For example, making the rice and the vegetable gravy. This vegetarian Kashmiri Biryani will also be become vegan by utilizing any vegetable oil as a substitute of ghee and a non-dairy yogurt.
One of the best half is you possibly can dum-cook this biryani on a fuel range and even bake it in an oven. If baking, you possibly can serve this Kashmiri Biryani instantly. Additionally, addition of the fried dry fruits particularly raisins add a slight sweetness to the ultimate dish.
Easy methods to make Kashmiri Biryani
Put together Rice
1. Decide and rinse 1.25 cups basmati rice in working water until the water runs away from starch. Then, soak the basmati rice in water for half-hour.
2. After half-hour, drain the water and hold the rice apart.
3. In a pot or pan, boil 5 cups water.
4. Then, add the soaked and drained basmati rice. Additionally, add salt as required.
5. Simmer the rice until the grains are ¾ᵗʰ or 75% cooked.
6. Then, drain the rice in a colander.
7. Sprinkle 1 pinch saffron on the rice.
8. Maintain the rice coated in order that it doesn’t dry out.
Cook dinner Vegetable Gravy
9. Chop cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, mint leaves and coriander leaves. Additionally soak 2 pinches of saffron in ⅔ cup of heat water or heat milk or lukewarm yogurt. Measure and hold all of the substances prepared.
10. Warmth 3 tablespoons oil or ghee in a pan or strain cooker. Maintain the flame to low.
11. Add the listing of complete spices as talked about beneath:
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (shahi jeera)
- 2 inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 black cardamoms
- 3 to 4 inexperienced cardamoms
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 1 to 2 strands of mace (javitri)
12. Fry the spices until they splutter and turn into aromatic on low warmth.
13. Now, add ½ cup chopped cauliflower, ½ cup chopped carrots, ½ cup chopped potatoes and ½ cup inexperienced peas.
14. Sauté the greens for 1 to 2 minutes on medium-low to medium warmth.
15. Subsequent the next listed floor spices:
- 1.5 teaspoons fennel powder (floor fennel)
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder (floor ginger)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon crimson chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder (or Kashmiri Ver Masala)
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg or floor nutmeg powder.
16. Combine nicely and sauté for two minutes on medium-low warmth. Carry on stirring.
17. Flip the warmth to low and add 5 to six tablespoons crushed recent yogurt (curd) and stir to combine rapidly.
18. Pour 1 cup water.
19. Subsequent, add salt as required.
20. Stir and blend nicely.
21. Cowl the pan with a lid.
22. Simmer on medium-low warmth and cook dinner until the greens are tender.
If utilizing strain cooker, then strain cook dinner for 1 to 2 whistles until the greens are cooked. Don’t overcook the greens. If there may be an excessive amount of water within the gravy then simmer until some water dries up. The gravy must be of medium or barely thick consistency and shouldn’t be watery.
Assemble and Layer Kashmiri Biryani
23. In a heavy thick bottomed pan, layer half of the vegetable gravy first.
24. Subsequent, layer half of the rice.
25. Add 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves and 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves.
26. Additionally, add half the saffron which was soaked in heat milk (or in heat water or heat yogurt).
27. Now, layer with the remaining of the vegetable curry.
28. Proceed by layering with the remaining rice.
29. Sprinkle the remaining mint leaves and coriander leaves. Additionally, add the remaining saffron which was dissolved in milk. You may make 1, 2 or 3 layers this manner. However do keep in mind that rice must be the final layer.
Cooking Kashmiri Biryani
30. There are 2 methods to dum-cook the Kashmiri Biryani:
- Methodology 1 – Cooking on a fuel range.
- Methodology 2 – Baking the biryani, which I’ve defined within the Notes part of recipe card beneath.
For cooking on a fuel range, seal and safe the pan or pot with an aluminum foil.
31. Take a tava or skillet and place it on medium warmth of the stove-top. You’ll be able to start to preheat the tava once you start to assemble and layer the biryani.
32. When the tava turns into sizzling, decrease the warmth and place the pot or pan on the tava. Then, place a decent becoming lid on the pan or pot. Maintain the warmth to the bottom and cook dinner the Kashmiri Biryani for 25 to half-hour.
Alternatively, it’s also possible to dum-cook the biryani for the primary quarter-hour on direct low warmth. Then, for the final 10 minutes, place the pot on the recent tava and cook dinner on a low warmth.
33. After 25 to half-hour, change off the warmth. Give a standing time of 5 to 7 minutes after which test the biryani.
If there may be nonetheless some liquid on the backside, then dum-cook the biryani for some extra time until all of the liquids are absorbed.
34. Whereas the biryani is getting cooked, you possibly can dry roast or fry 20 to 25 cashews in some oil or ghee. Alternatively, it’s also possible to roast or fry a mixture of cashews, raisins and almonds.
35. Whereas serving, garnish with the roasted or fried cashewnuts (or the combo of nuts) together with some mint leaves.
Serving and Storage Strategies
You’ll be able to refrigerate the leftover biryani for a day solely. Whereas reheating, steam for five minutes in a pan or prompt pot. It’s also possible to flippantly sauté the biryani in a frying pan or skillet till heat or sizzling.
- Rice: To make any biryani, you want good high quality rice. Biryani shouldn’t be mushy and the rice grains ought to stay separate within the dish. Whereas cooking the rice, you possibly can add much less or extra water relying on the variability and age of the rice. Additionally, the rice shouldn’t be totally cooked and solely cooked about 75% or ¾ accomplished. It ought to have a slight chew.
- Spices: The beautiful aroma of the biryani is as a result of complete spices used within the recipe. So, guarantee that the spices are recent and in good situation.
- Vegetable gravy: Don’t overcook the greens. If there may be an excessive amount of water within the vegetable gravy then simmer until some water dries up. The gravy ought to have a medium to medium-thick consistency. It shouldn’t be watery, as this can result in the rice changing into mushy or very mushy after being dum cooked.
- Curd (Yogurt): Use recent curd or yogurt, which isn’t bitter, for the vegetable gravy. The curd also needs to be created from complete milk. Don’t use fats free curd created from toned milk as it should cut up whereas cooking.
- Layering biryani: Whereas assembling, you may make 1, 2 or 3 layers of the vegetable gravy, rice and different substances. However do keep in mind that rice must be the final layer on prime.
- Cooking biryani: You’ll be able to cook dinner the Kashmiri biryani both on a fuel range or bake it in an oven. If you’re dum-cooking the biryani on a fuel range, it’s also possible to cook dinner the biryani first for quarter-hour on direct low warmth. Lastly, put it on the recent tawa or skillet and cook dinner for 10 minutes extra on low warmth.
- Checking cooked biryani: Enable the biryani to relaxation for about 5 to 7 minutes after it’s cooked. If there may be nonetheless some liquid on the backside, then dum-cook the biryani for some extra time until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish: You’ll be able to both use solely cashews or a mixture of cashews, raisins and almonds for garnishing the biryani. Dry roast or fry them in some oil or ghee. Mint leaves for garnishing can also be optionally available.
Uttar Pradesh Delicacies
Please you should definitely price this recipe within the recipe card beneath you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
This Kashmiri Biryani is from the Kashmiri Pandit type of cooking. It’s made with out onions and garlic biryani and consists of combine greens, herbs, spices and nuts.
Prep Time 40 minutes
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Whole Time 1 hr 10 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Decide and rinse basmati rice in working water until the water runs away from starch. Then, soak the basmati rice in water for half-hour.
After half-hour, drain the water and hold the rice apart. In a pot boil 5 cups water after which add the soaked rice.
Cook dinner the rice until they’re ¾ᵗʰ cooked or 75% cooked. Then, drain the rice in a colander. Sprinkle a pinch of saffron strands everywhere in the rice.
Maintain the rice coated in order that the grains do not dry out.
Making ready veg gravy
Chop cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, mint leaves and coriander leaves. Additionally, soak 2 pinches of saffron strands in ⅔rd cup heat water, heat milk or heat yogurt.
Warmth ghee or oil in a pan or strain cooker.
Add the entire spices – caraway seeds, cinnamon sticks, black cardamom, inexperienced cardamoms, cloves and mace.
Fry until the spices splutter and turn into aromatic.
Now, add the chopped greens – cauliflower, carrots, potatoes and inexperienced peas. Sauté the greens for 1 to 2 minutes.
Then, add the spice powders – fennel powder, dried ginger powder, crimson chili powder, garam masala powder or Kashmiri Ver Masala, asafoetida and grated nutmeg. Sauté for two minutes. Carry on stirring.
Put the warmth on low, add the crushed yogurt and stir nicely.
Add water and salt as required. Combine nicely.
Cowl the pan with its lid and cook dinner on medium-low warmth until the greens are tender. If there may be an excessive amount of water within the gravy, then simmer until some water dries up. The gravy must be of medium or barely thick consistency and shouldn’t be runny or watery.
If utilizing strain cooker, then strain cook dinner for 1 to 2 whistles until the greens are tender. Don’t over cook dinner the veggies.
Assembling Kashmiri Biryani
In a heavy thick bottomed pan, layer half of the vegetable gravy first.
Subsequent, layer half of the cooked rice.
Sprinkle a few of the chopped mint and coriander leaves.
Additionally, sprinkle a few of the saffron which was dissolved in heat milk, heat water or heat yogurt.
Now, layer with the remainder of vegetable gravy.
Subsequent, layer with the remaining cooked rice.
Sprinkle the mint, coriander and saffron milk once more.
Cooking Kashmiri Biryani
Then, cowl the pan or pot with a decent becoming lid.
Take a tawa or skillet and put it on medium warmth. You’ll be able to start to preheat the tawa once you start to assemble and layer the biryani.
When the tava turns into sizzling, then decrease the warmth. Maintain the sealed biryani pot on the tava. Maintain the warmth to the bottom and dum-cook biryani for 25 to half-hour.
Alternatively, it’s also possible to dum-cook the biryani for the primary quarter-hour on direct low warmth after which for the final 10 minutes, place the pot on the recent tava and cook dinner on low warmth.
After 25 to half-hour, change off the warmth. Give a standing time of 5 to 7 minutes after which test the biryani. If there may be nonetheless some liquid on the backside, then the biryani must be dum-cooked for some extra time. Cook dinner until all of the liquids is absorbed.
When the Kashmiri Biryani is getting dum-cooked, you possibly can roast the cashewnuts or fry them in some oil or ghee. Alternatively, it’s also possible to roast a mixture of cashewnuts, raisins and almonds or fry them in some oil.
Whereas serving, garnish with the roasted or fried cashewnuts, almonds and raisins together with some mint leaves.
Serve the Kashmiri Biryani sizzling with a raita by the facet.
- Preheat the oven at 180 levels C/356 levels F for 10 to fifteen minutes.
- Whereas the oven is getting preheated, assemble the biryani in an ovenproof utensil as talked about above. Keep in mind to make use of oven proof glass utensils like Pyrex bowl or oven secure metal pan for baking within the oven.
- Cowl the bowl or pan with aluminium foil or the Pyrex bowl lid after which bake the biryani for 25 to half-hour. Nevertheless, the baking time will differ from oven to oven.
- When accomplished, give a relaxation time of 5 to 7 minutes.
- Then, test the Kashmiri Biryani. If there may be nonetheless some liquid on the backside, then the biryani must be baked for some extra time until all of the liquids are absorbed.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 333 Energy from Fats 117
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 7g44%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Ldl cholesterol 26mg9%
Vitamin A 2553IU51%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 13mg16%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 10µg10%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 27µg7%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Kashmiri Biryani put up from the archives first revealed in June 2013 has been republished and up to date on 8 Could 2022.