Raegan Steinberg, co-owner of Arthur’s Nosh Bar in Montreal, calls her accomplice chef Alex Cohen an “the whole lot and the kitchen sink form of cook dinner.” His piled-high creation, referred to as the McArthur Sandwich (named for Raegan’s late father), is a crispy breaded hen schnitzel seasoned with Montreal steak spice and served on challah toast. Toppings embrace candy honey, salty dill pickles, and vinegary iceberg slaw. The key to the hearty schnitzel breading? Instantaneous mashed potato flakes.
Fried Hen Schnitzel Sandwich
Raegan Steinberg, co-owner of Arthurs Nosh Bar in Montreal, calls her accomplice chef Alex Cohen an “the whole lot and the kitchen sink form of cook dinner.” His piled-high creation, referred to as the McArthur Sandwich (named for Raegan’s late father), is a pounded, breaded hen breast seasoned with Montreal steak spice and served on challah toast. Toppings embrace candy honey, salty dill pickles, and vinegary iceberg slaw. The key to the hearty schnitzel breading: on the spot mashed potato flakes.
Yield: serves 4
For the hen:
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 oz. plain full-fat yogurt
- 1 tbsp. Montreal steak spice (non-obligatory)
- 1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. kosher salt, plus extra to style, divided
- 1⁄4 cup grated yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 giant hen breasts, halved crosswise, each bit pounded ¼-in. thick
- 8 oz. raw on the spot mashed potatoes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread crumbs
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1⁄2 cayenne pepper
- 3 giant eggs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 lemon
For the sandwich:
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. chile paste, resembling Israeli schug
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. pink wine vinegar
- pinches kosher salt
- pinches freshly floor black pepper
- 4 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- 2 entire pickled chiles, finely chopped
- 1 giant shallot, thinly sliced
- Softened unsalted butter
- 8 ½-in.-thick slices of challah
- Kosher dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise
- In a big bowl, whisk collectively the buttermilk, yogurt, steak seasoning (if utilizing), 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the onion and garlic. Add the hen breasts, flip to coat, cowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 and as much as 24 hours.
- In a big bowl, whisk collectively the moment potatoes, 1 cup of the flour, the bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon of the kosher salt, and black pepper to style. In one other giant bowl, whisk collectively the remaining flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, remaining salt, and black pepper to style. In a 3rd giant bowl, beat the eggs with 1 cup of the buttermilk marinade from the hen till mixed.
- Make the hen: Coat one of many breasts first with the flour combination, then within the egg, then with the potato-bread crumb combination, packing the crumbs onto the meat to stick. Switch to a plate by the range and repeat with the remaining breasts.
- Place a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet and set it subsequent to the range. Into a big Dutch oven set over medium-high warmth, pour the oil to a depth of three inches and connect a deep-fry thermometer. When the temperature reads 350°F, add two of the breasts and cook dinner, turning as soon as, till golden, crisp, and cooked by means of, 3–4 minutes per aspect. Switch to the rack and season with salt to style. Repeat with the remaining breasts. Squeeze the lemon over the 4 fried breasts.
- Make the sandwiches: In a small bowl, whisk collectively the mayonnaise and schug. In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and black pepper; spoon two tablespoons of the French dressing right into a small bowl and put aside. To the medium bowl, add the lettuce, pickled chiles, and shallot, and toss to coat. Set the three bowls apart.
- Generously butter either side of every challah slice. To a big cast-iron skillet set over medium warmth, add 4 of the slices and cook dinner, turning as soon as, till browned and crisp, 6–8 minutes. Switch to a chopping board and repeat with the remaining slices.
- Unfold the mayonnaise combination evenly over 4 items of the challah (one aspect solely). Place the breasts on high, then drizzle with honey to style and the reserved French dressing. High every hen schnitzel with 1 cup of the slaw, the pickle slices, and at last the remaining slices of bread. Slice the sandwiches in half, and serve.