These crispy onion rings from cookbook writer Colman Andrews are an indulgent accompaniment to any burger. Although Prosecco provides distinctive fizz, any glowing wine, beer, or water can be utilized to lighten the batter. Peanut oil is good for fast-frying duties as a result of it has a excessive smoke level, which means it received’t scorch on the extreme temperature wanted to make these rings puff and crisp. Discover all of our greatest fried recipes here.
Fried Onion Rings
These are the proper accompaniment to any burger.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups prosecco or different glowing wine
- ½ tsp. superb sea salt, plus extra for serving
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 3 giant vidalia or different candy onions, peeled
- In a big bowl, whisk collectively the flour, prosecco, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and black pepper to style to kind a clean batter.
- Line a big plate with paper towels. Into a big Dutch oven set over medium-high warmth, pour the oil to a depth of 4 inches and connect a deep-fry thermometer.
- When the temperature reads 365ºF, fry the onion rings: Working in small batches, separate the onion rounds into rings and coat with batter. Utilizing a fork, drop the battered rings one after the other into the oil. Fry, turning typically, till golden and crisp, 2–3 minutes per batch, then switch to the plate. Season generously with salt whereas scorching. Repeat with the remaining batches and serve instantly.
From the last word grilled cheeseburger to a Japanese-inspired pretzel-and-panko quantity, listed here are our favourite variations on the American classic >