FREEZER BREAKFAST SANDWICHES is excerpted from THE WELL-PLATED COOKBOOK: FAST, HEALTHY RECIPES YOU’LL WANT TO EAT © 2020 by Erin Clarke. Reproduced by permission of Penguin Random Home. All rights reserved.
Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
Energetic Time: half-hour
Whole Time: 2 hours
Yield: 6 sandwiches (with sufficient leftover egg scraps to make 3 extra sandwiches or snack on)
Base recipe (a easy, tasty breakfast sandwich):
- 10 giant eggs
- 2/3 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 dashes sizzling sauce
- 6 skinny cheese slices, corresponding to cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper jack, or Swiss
- 6 slices cooked meat of alternative (ham, bacon, Canadian bacon, hen or turkey breakfast sausage patties), elective
- 6 complete wheat English Muffins, break up
Variation 1 – Mushroom Bacon Swiss. Add:
- 2 teaspoons further virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
Variation 2 – Backyard Veggie. Add:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 3 cups child spinach (about 3 ounces)
Variation 3 – Denver Fashion. Add:
- 1 tablespoon further virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, lower into 1/4-inch cube (about 1 cup)
- 1 crimson bell pepper, lower into 1/4-inch cube (about 1 cup)
- 1 inexperienced bell pepper, lower into 1/4-inch cube (about 1 cup)
Easy, Scrumptious Breakfast Sandwich Base Recipe:
- Place racks within the higher and decrease thirds of your oven and preheat the oven to 375 levels F. Frivolously coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Line a big baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs, milk, Greek yogurt, salt, pepper, and sizzling sauce till mixed and principally clean. The yogurt could have a couple of small lumps. Fastidiously pour the combination into the ready baking dish. Bake within the decrease third of the oven for 25 to half-hour, or till puffed on the edges and a skinny, sharp knife inserted within the heart comes out clear. The eggs will puff up within the oven, then settle as they cool. Place the pan on a wire rack and let cool utterly.
- Whereas the eggs cool, organize the English muffin halves split-sides up on the ready baking sheet. Place within the higher third of the oven and toast till the English muffins are evenly golden, about 5 minutes. Watch rigorously in order that they don’t burn. If serving the sandwiches instantly, depart the oven heated.
- With an extended, versatile spatula, gently elevate the eggs out of the pan and onto a slicing board in a single massive piece. With a biscuit cutter or ingesting glass that’s roughly the width of your English muffins, lower the eggs into rounds, saving the scraps for snacking or (in the event you aren’t too explicit concerning the look of your filling) piece them collectively to type further sandwiches. If you happen to desire to not have any scraps and do not thoughts some further egg edges peeking over the perimeters of your English muffins, use a knife to chop the eggs into 6 giant squares as an alternative.
- Assemble the sandwiches: High the underside half of every English muffin with an egg spherical, slice of cheese, and meat. To take pleasure in instantly, place the sandwiches open-faced with out their tops within the oven for a couple of minutes, till the cheese is melted, then add the highest previous to serving.
- To freeze: Let every sandwich cool utterly if it’s not already. Add the muffin prime, then wrap the entire sandwich in a sq. of aluminum foil. Label with the flavour and date. Place the sandwiches in a ziptop freezer bag. Freeze for as much as 2 months.
- To reheat from frozen: Unwrap a sandwich and place on a paper towel-lined plate (the towel will assist soak up a few of the moisture). Microwave on medium energy for two to 4 minutes relying upon your microwave, till the cheese is melted and the egg is warmed via.
For Mushroom Bacon Swiss Breakfast Sandwiches:
- Start the recipe by heating the olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium excessive warmth. Add the mushrooms and sauté till they’re softened and have given up their liquid, about 6 to eight minutes. Put aside to chill. Put together the bottom recipe via Step 2, then fold the sautéed mushrooms into the crushed egg combination. Proceed with the bottom recipe as directed, utilizing Swiss for the cheese and bacon for the meat.
For Backyard Veggie Breakfast Sandwiches:
- Start the recipe by heating the olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium warmth. Add the carrots and sauté till softened, about 4 minutes. Stir within the spinach a couple of handfuls as a time till it wilts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Put aside to chill. Put together the bottom recipe via Step 2, then fold the sautéed greens into the crushed egg combination. Proceed with the bottom recipe as directed, utilizing any cheese you take pleasure in (cheddar and havarti are my favorites for this model).
For Denver-Fashion Breakfast Sandwiches:
- Start the recipe by heating the olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion and bell pepper. Sauté till the greens are softened, about 7 to eight minutes. Put aside to chill. Put together the bottom recipe via Step 2, then fold the sautéed greens into the crushed egg combination. Proceed with the bottom recipe as directed, extending the baking time by a couple of further minutes as wanted and utilizing cheddar for the cheese and ham or Canadian bacon for the meat.
- If you happen to’d wish to make the sandwiches with bacon, you possibly can bake the bacon within the higher third of the oven whereas the eggs bake: Line a baking sheet with foil and evenly coat with nonstick spray. Organize the bacon on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake in till the bacon is as crispy as you want, 15 to twenty minutes relying upon the thickness of your bacon. Fastidiously switch the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and gently pat dry. The extra crowded oven could extending the baking time of your eggs, so control them and add time as wanted.
- These sandwiches are additionally scrumptious with a tablespoon or two of contemporary herbs folded in. I particularly love chives with the straightforward model, dill with the backyard veggie model, and thyme with the mushroom Swiss.