Dhingri dolma is a scrumptious, mildly spiced, semi-dry curry recipe from the Awadhi delicacies that includes earthy button mushrooms and tender paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in a savory base of onions, tomatoes, herbs and a particular spice – caraway seeds (shahi jeera). This dish makes for a straightforward and fast weekend or weeknight meal paired with roti, naan or bread.
About Dhingri Dolma
Mushrooms particularly, contemporary or dried oyster mushrooms are known as as “Dhingri” or “Dingri” in North India. The phrase Dolma or Dulma means a dish made with stuffed greens. Whereas on this recipe, there isn’t any stuffing concerned. So I’m not certain why the phrase ‘Dolma’ is used for the recipe identify.
This Dhingri Dolma recipe is a tremendous dish and a daily at my place. Should you like mushrooms and paneer, then I’m certain you’ll love this dish. It is usually a wholesome and protein wealthy dish.
The umami mushrooms and tender paneer are cooked in a flippantly spiced onion-tomato base. The recipe is from the Awadhi delicacies and Awadhi delicacies comes from town of Lucknow.
I had heard and seen the distinctive identify of this recipe within the menu of many Awadhi eating places. Little did I do know then, that this recipe was produced from mushrooms and paneer.
Later I examine this recipe whereas in my school, and got here to know that this recipe is produced from mushrooms and paneer. By no means tried it then and even later this recipe pale from my reminiscence.
A decade again, I once more got here throughout this recipe in Jiggs Kalra’s e book “Prashad – Cooking with Indian Masters” and determined to adapt it.
It was amazingly easy, straightforward and fast to make and tasted nice. From the time I’ve tailored the recipe, I’ve made it many instances now and thus have additionally up to date the put up with higher pictures.
In actual fact the recipe is so fast, that when I’ve mushrooms and paneer within the fridge, I make this dish. I simply have to pair it with roti or naan.
The recipe requires one distinctive spice – Shahi Jeera additionally recognized in English as Caraway seeds. These are barely thinner and darker than the common cumin seeds and have a singular aroma than common cumin seeds. They’re sweeter than cumin seeds.
Shahi Jeera is very often utilized in Mughlai delicacies. I additionally add them to Veg Biryani, Veg Pulao and in some extra Mughlai recipes that I make.
On this colourful recipe, each mushrooms and paneer are sautéed with shahi jeera, onion and tomatoes along with a couple of extra herbs and spices. You can too use tofu as a substitute of paneer.
Whereas I want to make this dish with button mushrooms, you may make it with dhingri a.okay.a contemporary or dried oyster mushrooms. You can too make it with king oyster mushroom or shiitake or cremini mushrooms. If utilizing dried mushrooms, then rinse and rehydrate them in water earlier than including to the recipe.
Serve dhingri dolma with roti, naan, paratha or as a facet with veg pulao or jeera rice. You can too serve this delectable mushroom paneer curry with bread.
How one can make Dhingri Dolma
1. Firstly prep up by rinsing or wiping 200 to 250 grams of button mushrooms. Slice or chop the mushrooms. Additionally chop 1 medium onion and reduce 1 massive tomato in 1 cm cubes. Crush 1 inch ginger and three to 4 garlic to a paste in a mortar-pestle.
2. Crumble 250 grams of paneer and preserve apart. You can too grate the paneer.
3. Soften 2 tablespoons of butter or ghee in a pan. You can too use 2 tablespoons oil as a substitute of butter.
4. Add ½ teaspoon shahi jeera (caraway seeds) and saute until they splutter.
5. Then add 1 medium sized chopped onion (about ⅓ cup chopped onion).
6. Saute the onions stirring usually until they flip gentle brown on a medium-low to medium warmth.
7. Subsequent add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste and saute for a couple of seconds or until the uncooked aroma of the ginger garlic paste goes away.
8. Now add 1 massive tomato, reduce in 1 cm cubes (about ¾ cup tomato cubes).
9. Then add the spice powders – ¼ teaspoon purple chili powder and ½ teaspoon black pepper or white pepper powder.
10. Stir very effectively and saute until the tomatoes soften on a medium-low warmth.
11. Now add 200 to 250 grams sliced or chopped mushrooms.
12. Stir effectively.
13. Start to sauté them on a low to medium warmth, stirring often on medium-low to medium warmth.
14. The mushrooms would first start to launch water.
15. Sauté until all of the water dries up. Within the under picture, there may be nonetheless some water left. So proceed to sauté till there isn’t any water within the pan.
16. A lightweight browning of the mushrooms alongside the perimeters can be nice.
17. Now add the grated or crumbled paneer.
17. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder and salt as per style.
18. Stir and blend the paneer with the remainder of the components. Prepare dinner for about 30 seconds to 1 minute on a low warmth
19. Swap off the warmth and add 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves and 1 inch ginger julienne.
20. Stir and blend.
Few extra Mushroom recipes for you!
Should you made this recipe, please you should definitely price it within the recipe card under. Sign Up for my e-mail publication or you possibly can observe me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspirations.
Dhingri Dolma is a scrumptious, mildly spiced, semi-dry curry recipe that includes earthy button mushrooms and tender paneer (Indian cottage cheese) in a savory base of onions, tomatoes, herbs and caraway seeds (shahi jeera).
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
This Dhingri Dolma put up from the archives (August 2010) has been republished and up to date on 14 September 2021.