Girls Finger Curry additionally referred to as Bhindi Curry in Hindi is a tangy and spiced recipe of sautéed okra in an onion, tomato, spices, yogurt curry base. The recipe is gluten-free. Serve this tasty Indian okra curry with flatbreads like chapati, roti or naan. It additionally pairs nicely with steamed rice or jeera rice.
About Girls Finger Curry
This recipe will get its title as Okra can be referred to as Girls Finger in English. In Hindi, okra is known as ‘Bhindi’. This can be a actually good house cooked scrumptious curry made with contemporary and tender okra pods.
I’ve saved the components fundamental and never added stuff like cashews, poppy seeds, melon seeds, cream and so on to thicken the curry. So anybody having Indian spices and components at house can simply make this scrumptious Bhindi Curry.
Bhindi is a household favourite. Therefore there are various recipes posted with okra on the weblog. I’ve already posted a semi-dry North Indian, Punjabi model recipe of Bhindi Masala which is one other gem made out of okra.
Often I make a dry or semi dry curry with okra. We now have had bhindi curry a few instances in eating places. So I attempted to make a restaurant model minus the cream or khoya (evaporated milk solids). The recipe was successful and it tasted superior.
Since okra and tomatoes are two of the hero components, make certain to make use of tender okra pods and candy tasting tomatoes that aren’t very tangy or overly bitter.
Whereas scripting this submit, I nonetheless keep in mind the flavors and style of this Girls Finger Curry. It was rattling good. I like cooking greater than being a foodie.
However for a purpose, this okra curry was an exception. It jogged my memory of the flavour and style of a Girls Finger Curry I had a few years again in Mumbai. The tanginess of the tomatoes enhances the sunshine sweetness of okra very nicely.
This Okra Curry pairs nicely with smooth phulka, chapati or paratha. This mildly spiced okra curry additionally goes nicely with steamed rice.
The way to make Girls Finger Curry
1. First rinse 250 grams okra (girls finger) very nicely in operating water just a few instances. Then drain them fully in a strainer or colander.
2. Wipe every okra with a kitchen serviette. There must be no moisture on them. It’s also possible to permit them to dry naturally at room temperature, by spreading them on a big plate or tray.
3. Chop the bhindi into 1 to 1.5 inch items. Maintain apart. Do test for worms or black spots as you chop them. Discard the okra items in case you spot any of those.
4. In a grinder or blender jar, take the next components:
- ¾ cup roughly chopped ripe purple tomatoes
- 1 inch peeled and chopped ginger
- 4 to five chopped garlic cloves
- 1 or 2 inexperienced chilies, chopped or 1 teaspoon, chopped
Keep in mind to make use of ripe purple tomatoes that are a bit candy and fewer bitter or tangy.
5. Add 2 tablespoon contemporary full fats curd (yogurt) together with 2 cloves, 1 inexperienced cardamom, ½ inch cinnamon and 1 single and skinny strand of mace.
Mace is non-obligatory and could be omitted.
6. With out including water, grind or mix to a advantageous and easy paste. Maintain apart coated.
Sauté Girls Finger
7. Warmth 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy kadai (wok) or frying pan. Add the chopped okra and sauté them on a low warmth.
8. Stirring usually, sauté them until they’re virtually cooked, shrunken in dimension and evenly browned from the perimeters.
9. When executed take away the sautéed okra and place them in a plate or tray.
Make Girls Finger Curry
10. In the identical kadai or pan, additional add 2 tablespoon oil. Add tej patta (Indian bay leaf) and fry for about 5 to 7 seconds on low warmth.
11. Add the ½ cup finely chopped onions.
12. Stir to combine.
13. Sauté the onions on low to medium warmth until they begin to flip mild golden.
14. Decrease the warmth and add the bottom spices listed beneath:
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon purple chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
15. Stir the spice powders rapidly. It’s also possible to change off the range prime whereas including and mixing spices powders, in order that they don’t get burned.
16. Add the ready floor tomato-yogurt-spices paste that we made earlier than. Watch out whereas including the bottom paste because it splutters.
17. Stir and blend completely.
18. On a low to medium-low warmth sauté until the masala paste thickens and also you see oil leaving the perimeters. This takes time, so be affected person.
Stir usually whereas sautéing. The masala paste will thicken, look shiny and the oil will separate. While you see these indicators, then transfer to the subsequent step.
19. Add about ¾ cup water and stir very nicely. It’s also possible to add ½ to ⅔ cup water for a thick curry or ¾ cup water for medium consistency.
20. Season with salt as required.
21. Add the sautéed okra.
22. Stir once more.
23. Convey the Girls Finger Curry to a simmer on a medium warmth. Prepare dinner for about 5 to six minutes until the curry will get infused with the aroma and taste of the okra.
Don’t prepare dinner okra within the curry for an extended time as then they develop into mushy.
24. Add ½ teaspoon kasuri methi, crushed (dry fenugreek leaves). If you would like, you may as well add 1 or 2 tablespoon of low-fat cream or mild cream or cooking cream at this step.
25. Stir after which add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) to the Bhindi Curry.
26. Stir the curry once more after which change off the stovetop.
27. Serve Girls Finger Curry garnished with just a few coriander leaves or straightaway with roti or paratha or steamed rice.
Please make sure you fee the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Girls Finger Curry | Bhindi Curry
This Girls Finger Curry additionally referred to as Bhindi Curry in Hindi, is a scrumptious recipe of sautéed okra in a tangy onion, tomato curry base. The recipe can be gluten-free.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First rinse girls finger (okra, bhindi) very nicely in operating water just a few instances. Then drain them fully in a strainer or colander.
- Wipe every bhindi with a kitchen serviette. There must be no moisture on them. It’s also possible to permit them to dry naturally at room temperature, by spreading them onto a big plate or tray.
Chop the okra into 1 to 1.5 inch items. Maintain apart.
In a grinder or blender jar, take the roughly chopped ripe purple tomatoes, chopped ginger, garlic and inexperienced chillies.
Add the contemporary full fats curd/yogurt together with cloves, inexperienced cardamom, cinnamon and mace.
With out including water, grind or mix to a advantageous paste. Maintain apart coated.
Warmth 2 tablespoon oil in a heavy kadai or pan. Add the chopped okra and sauté them on a low warmth stirring usually.
Stir and sauté them until they’re virtually cooked, shrunken and evenly browned from the perimeters.
When executed take away the sautéed okra and place them in a plate or tray.
Making girls finger curry
In the identical kadai or pan, add 2 tablespoon oil. Add tej patta, and fry for about 5 to 7 seconds.
Add the finely chopped onions. Stir to combine.
Sauté the onions on low to medium warmth, stirring usually until they begin to flip mild golden.
Decrease the warmth. Then add turmeric powder, purple chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
Combine the spice powders rapidly. It’s also possible to change off the range prime whereas including and mixing the bottom spice powders, in order that they do not get burned.
Add the bottom tomato-curd-spices paste that we made earlier than. Watch out whereas including floor paste because it splutters.
- Stir to combine. On a low to medium-low warmth sauté until the masala paste thickens and also you see oil leaving the perimeters.The masala paste will develop into shiny, thick and you will notice oil separating the perimeters.
Subsequent add about ¾ cup water and stir to combine. It’s also possible to add ½ to ⅔ cup water for a thick curry or ¾ cup water for medium consistency.
Season with salt as required.
Add the sautéed okra. Stir and blend once more.
Convey the okra curry to a simmer on a medium warmth. Prepare dinner for about 5 to six minutes until the curry will get infused with the aroma and taste of the okra.
Do not prepare dinner okra within the curry for an extended time as then they develop into mushy.
Add the crushed dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). If you would like, you may as well add 1 or 2 tablespoons of low fats cream or mild cream at this step.
Stir after which add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves to the curry.
Stir once more and switch off the range prime.
Serve Girls Finger Curry garnished with just a few coriander leaves or as is with chapati or paratha or steamed rice.
- Use contemporary, tender and inexperienced okra pods to make the recipe.
- Since tomatoes kind the bottom of this curry, guarantee to make use of tomatoes that are candy and never very bitter.
- If in case the curry turns into too tangy, stability the tangy style, by including ¼ to ½ teaspoon sugar or add about 1 to 2 tablespoons cream.
- For a thicker curry, add much less water.
- To make a vegan model, use plant primarily based yogurt.
Girls Finger Curry | Bhindi Curry
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 193 Energy from Fats 135
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 12g
Ldl cholesterol 1mg0%
Vitamin A 1322IU26%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 0.3mg15%
Vitamin B12 0.04µg1%
Vitamin C 32mg39%
Vitamin D 0.01µg0%
Vitamin E 7mg47%
Vitamin Okay 29µg28%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 58µg15%
* % Day by day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Girls Finger Curry from the archives first revealed on January 2015 has been republished and up to date in January 2023.