A shaak is a sort of a vegetable preparation or sabji in Gujarati delicacies. There are a lot of shaak variations which can be discovered throughout the completely different areas in Gujarat itself. Most of them are straightforward to arrange and easy recipes. Similar to this Sev Tameta Nu Shaak which is an all-time favourite of this explicit group. That is mainly a Sev Tamatar ki Sabji which is a candy, spicy and tangy tomato curry generously topped with crispy Sev. This one absolutely is a brilliant fast recipe too, but is a ten/10 in flavors and textures.
About Sev Tamatar ki Sabji
Translating the Gujarati Sev Tameta Nu Shaak in English would merely imply a scrumptious tomato (tameta) curry preparation with sev (tiny, crispy, fried, spiced gram flour vermicelli).
The Gujarati phrase ‘nu’ means ‘of.’ So, put collectively, it turns into a curry of tomatoes and sev and thus Sev Tamatar ki Sabji in Hindi.
For the reason that time I had began running a blog, I had been getting a whole lot of requests to put up the recipe of this explicit Sev Tamatar Sabji. In reality, considered one of my readers additionally requested for a dhaba model model of this dish.
Nevertheless, what I’ve posted right here is a straightforward no onion, no garlic recipe. That is an easy-peasy, no frills curry recipe that will get carried out in about 20 to 25 minutes.
This Sev Tamatar ki Sabji is completely good, particularly due to the sev that provides heaps of taste and texture to the dish. In case you dwell outdoors India, you may simply buy it from an Indian grocery or Indian candy store or can order on-line as properly.
The number of sev that I’ve added on this Gujarati Sev Tamatar Sabji is a barely thicker than the wonderful sev selection that we use for chaat dishes like Sev Puri, Bhel Puri, and so forth. However do use a barely thicker number of sev because the thinner ones might dissolve within the curry.
The sev want to carry form and mustn’t dissolve or disintegrate within the sabji. You possibly can even use the gathiya to make this dish. Gathiya is thicker and spiced with carom seeds which can give a distinct style then sev.
Sev Tameta Nu Shaak tastes fab with bajra roti, tender phulka or chapati. You possibly can even relish the stunning flavors of this sabzi with some easy, comforting Thepla or bread slices.
How you can make Sev Tamatar ki Sabji
1. The recipe accommodates not many substances. Principally chopped tomatoes, ginger and inexperienced chilies. Tomatoes type the primary base of this curry.
2. Warmth 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds and allow them to crackle on low warmth.
3. Then, add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and sauté for just a few seconds or until they alter coloration and splutter.
4. Subsequent, add 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger, ½ teaspoon finely chopped inexperienced chilies and a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
Stir and sauté on low warmth for 10 to fifteen seconds or until the uncooked aroma of ginger goes away.
Make Sev Tamatar ki Sabji
5. Add 1.5 cups of chopped or finely chopped tomatoes.
6. Stir after which add beneath listed spice powders:
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon crimson chili powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
To make the dish extra spicy, you may add as much as ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder.
7. Stir and blend. Sauté for a minute on low warmth.
8. Then, add ¾ teaspoon sugar and salt as required.
9. Stir and sauté. You need to stir just a few occasions in order that the tomatoes get cooked evenly.
10. Sauté until the tomatoes soften and turn out to be mushy.
11. Then, add ½ cup water.
12. Stir to mix evenly.
13. Deliver the Sev Tamatar Sabji to a simmer on low to medium warmth. Change off the warmth and examine the style.
Add extra salt and sugar, if required. You can also make the curry thicker, when you desire.
14. When carried out, pour the curry in a serving bowl.
15. Sprinkle sev throughout on and serve instantly. Add sev simply earlier than serving or else it’ll get soggy. Additionally garnish with coriander leaves.
Since we desire the crispiness of the sev, I’ve added them whereas serving. If you’d like, you may add the sev when the tomato gravy is finished and cook dinner for a minute or two.
- The recipe is made with out onion and garlic. You possibly can decide so as to add each onion and garlic when you desire. Including these two substances will change the style and taste of the shaak.
- You possibly can at all times make this dish spicier by rising the amount of inexperienced chili and/or crimson chili powder.
- As soon as the tamatar sabji is cooked, modify the salt and sugar, if wanted. You possibly can even make the consistency thicker, if you want.
- To benefit from the crispiness of the sev, sprinkle it on the tomato shaak simply earlier than serving, or else it’ll get soggy. As an alternative of sev, you may as well use gathiya. The gathiya may be combined with the curry.
- Use tomatoes which can be overly bitter or too tangy. A little bit of sweetness within the tomatoes is most popular. If the curry turns into very tangy, enhance the sugar by a bit.
- You too can decide to make use of jaggery as a substitute of sugar. Add jaggery in accordance with your style preferences.
Please make sure you price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath when you’ve got made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Sev Tamatar ki Sabji | Sev Tameta nu Shaak
Referred to as Sev Tamatar ki Sabji in Hindi and Sev Tameta nu Shaak in Gujarati, this spicy, tangy, candy tomato curry is topped with sev (fried, crispy, gram flour vermicelli). This recipe is made with out onion and garlic.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Complete Time 30 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First rinse after which finely chop the tomatoes, ginger and inexperienced chilli.
Warmth oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and crackle them on low warmth.
Then add cumin seeds and sauté until they alter coloration. This takes just a few seconds.
Then add chopped ginger, inexperienced chilies and asafoetida. Stir and saute on low warmth for 10 to 12 seconds or till the uncooked aroma of ginger goes away.
Add the chopped tomatoes.
Stir to combine. Add the spice powders – turmeric powder, crimson chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder.
Combine very properly. Sauté for a minute on low warmth. Then add salt as required and sugar.
Combine and proceed to sauté. You need to stir just a few occasions in order that the tomatoes get cooked evenly.
Sauté on low to medium warmth until the tomatoes soften and turn out to be pulpy or mushy.
- Then add water. Stir to mix.You can also make the curry extra thick additionally, when you desire, by including much less water.
Deliver the tomato curry to a simmer. Flip off the warmth and examine the style. Add extra salt and sugar if required.
When carried out, pour the tomato curry or sabzi in serving bowl/bowls.
Sprinkle sev evenly throughout on prime of the curry.
Garnish with coriander leaves and serve the Sev Tamatar ki Sabji or Sev Tameta nu Shaak with phulka, chapati or methi thepla or bajra roti.
- As an alternative of sev, you need to use gathiya. In case you add gathiya, then combine it with the curry or gravy.
- Use contemporary, ripe, juicy, crimson tomatoes that aren’t very tangy. A slight sweetness within the tomatoes is most popular for this curry. If in case the curry turns into very bitter, then enhance the quantity of sugar.
- You too can use jaggery as a substitute of sugar. In case you are not a fan of candy style within the curry, be at liberty to omit including the sugar.
- For a spicy curry, enhance the quantity of inexperienced chillies and crimson chilli powder.
- I’ve not added onion and garlic, however you may add these two substances.
Sev Tamatar ki Sabji | Sev Tameta nu Shaak
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 195 Energy from Fats 81
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g13%
Polyunsaturated Fats 5g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Vitamin A 18235IU365%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 7mg35%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 13mg16%
Vitamin E 23mg153%
Vitamin Ok 70µg67%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 29µg7%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Sev Tamatar ki Sabji from the archives first printed on December 2014 has been republished and up to date in January 2023.