Whereas chickpeas made in a curried approach is hottest within the northern a part of India, this one here’s a South Indian model Chickpea Curry Recipe. A extremely protein laden dish, this Coconut Chickpea Curry is a spicy and tremendous scrumptious curry preparation made with wholesome white chickpeas, daring spices and aromatic coconut. That is even vegan. Additionally, don’t get intimidated with the lengthy record of substances. When you observe the recipe effectively, making this curry just isn’t that troublesome.
About Chickpea Curry
In my private assortment of recipes, I’ve fairly a couple of styles of the Chickpea Curry which I make repeatedly at house.
My all-time favourite is that this sturdy and flavorsome one, the genuine Punjabi Chana Masala. This recipe has a great stability of spiciness and tanginess, which reinforces the general flavors too. It is rather like the Chickpea Curry you get on the streets of Delhi and Punjab.
Nevertheless, the Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe that I’ve right here on this submit is a South Indian model. So, the actual style comes from the coconut and entire spices which might be used on this specific variation of the dish.
The distinct style of coconut is kind of dominant on this South Indian variant. Additionally, there’s a delicate sweetness on this preparation, and it’s not bitter or tangy.
Mainly, on this Chickpea Curry recipe, all generally used substances of South Indian cooking are added. The grated coconut being one of many most important substances which simply makes the dish superior.
You may also experiment and make the identical recipe with black chickpeas, inexperienced peas or cauliflower or potato as effectively.
The masala paste of the Punjabi or North Indian model Chickpea Curry makes use of onions, tomatoes, spices, dried pomegranate seeds or dried mango powder. This additionally imparts the specified spiciness spicy and sourness within the curry.
Together with these substances, garam masala powder or chana masala powder can also be main on this typical approach of getting ready the dish.
However on this Coconut Chickpea Curry Recipe from South India, I add 2 mildly scorching dried pink chilies for a lesser spicy model at occasions.
On another events, I add 4 dried pink chilies to extend the fieriness. So, you possibly can differ the amount of pink chilies as per your style, spice desire and the standard of pink chilies.
Dried Chickpeas or Canned Chickpeas
I at all times use dried chickpeas when making any recipe with it. Soaking dried chickpeas after which cooking them is a further prep work that it’s essential to do. However my recipe works nice with canned chickpeas too.
The coconut and spices curry base is so flavorful, that after you add water, merely add the canned chickpeas (after draining the liquids and rinsing). Combine and stir to mix and simmer for some minutes.
To make Chickpea Coconut Curry with canned chickpeas, add 3 cups of the canned chickpeas. Keep in mind to empty all of the liquids from the canned chickpeas and completely rinse the chickpeas a couple of occasions in water, earlier than you add them to the curry base.
How you can make Chickpea Curry
Strain Cook dinner Chickpeas
1. First, rinse 1 cup dried white chickpeas for a few occasions in water. Then, soak the chickpeas in 3 cups water in a single day or for 8 to 9 hours. Under is a photograph of the soaked chickpeas.
Tip: When you have forgotten to soak the chickpeas, soak them in scorching water for two hours.
2. Drain the water. Rinse the chickpeas once more a few occasions.
3. Once more drain all the water and add the soaked chickpeas in a 3 litre stovetop stress cooker. Add ½ teaspoon salt.
When you would not have a stovetop stress cooker, cook dinner chickpeas in a pot or pan overlaying them with 3.5 to 4 cups of water. Or choose to cook dinner them within the Prompt Pot including 3 cups of water.
5. Add 3 cups water.
6. Stir to combine. Cowl tightly with the stress cooker’s lid. Strain cook dinner the chickpeas for about 20 to 22 minutes or 18 to twenty whistles on medium to excessive warmth. The chickpeas needs to be fully cooked and have a melt-in-mouth consistency.
Word: If cooking chickpeas in a pot, add about 3.5 to 4 cups water with salt to the chickpeas. Cowl and cook dinner the chickpeas until softened.
Make Chickpea Curry Base
7. Whereas the chickpeas are cooking, put together the curry base. Collect the spices listed beneath:
- ½ tablespoon fennel seeds
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 4 to five black peppercorns
- 2 inexperienced cardamoms
- 2 to three cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 dried pink chilies (gentle to medium scorching), seeds eliminated
- 1 small piece stone flower (dagad phool), non-compulsory
For a spicy style, add about 3 to 4 dried pink chilies. The quantity of pink chilies to be added is determined by the warmth quotient within the chilies.
So, should you use pink chilies which have a excessive warmth quotient, then simply 1 or 2 dried pink chilies could be high-quality.
8. It’s good to toast or roast the spices first. In a frying pan or skillet, dry roast all of the spices stirring usually on low warmth until they turn out to be aromatic – taking care that you don’t burn them.
9. Subsequent, add ½ cup tightly packed grated recent coconut and proceed to roast.
Don’t worry should you would not have recent coconut. As a substitute add about ⅓ cup of unsweetened desiccated or shredded coconut.
10. Stir constantly whereas roasting the coconut, so that there’s uniform browning.
11. Roast until the coconut turns into golden. Take away the pan from warmth and permit this combination to chill.
12. As soon as the coconut-spice combination is cooled, add it to a high-speed blender or a mixer-grinder jar.
Additionally bear in mind to take away the husk from the black cardamom and simply add its seeds within the blender or grinder.
13. Add about ⅔ to ¾ cup water and grind to a high-quality and easy paste. Make sure that the curry paste just isn’t gritty or has high-quality chunks of the spices or coconut. Put aside.
Make Coconut Chickpea Curry
14. Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a pan. Conserving warmth to a low, add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and permit them to crackle.
16. Then, add 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf) and stir.
17. Add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
18. Stir and sauté until the onions flip translucent and soften on low to medium warmth.
19. Add the beneath listed substances:
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (floor turmeric)
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
20. Stir and sauté on low warmth for a couple of seconds or till the uncooked aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
21. Add ½ cup chopped tomatoes.
22. Sauté on low to medium warmth for about 2 to three minutes or until the tomatoes soften.
23. Add the ready curry paste.
24. Stir very effectively to mix with the remainder of the sautéed substances.
25. Then, add the drained and cooked chickpeas.
26. Stir effectively once more and sauté for a minute.
27. Now, add 1 cup water and 1 or 2 slit inexperienced chilies.
28. Season with salt as required. Combine once more.
29. First deliver to a boil on medium warmth and later simmer the curry on low to medium warmth for 10 to fifteen minutes; or until the curry thickens a bit and also you see some oil floating on prime.
Mash a couple of chickpeas with the again of the spoon to thicken the curry. Examine the seasonings and add extra salt as per your style. Add extra water, if wanted relying on the consistency you like.
30. Lastly, change off the warmth and add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro). Stir effectively.
31. Serve Chickpea Curry scorching with Indian breads like poori, naan, tandoori roti, bhatura, aloo paratha, bread, jeera rice or steamed rice accompanied with lemon wedges and onion slices.
- Chickpea High quality: Keep in mind to at all times use recent dried white chickpeas and those that are of their shelf interval. When you use aged chickpeas, it’s going to take extra time to cook dinner and the dish is not going to even style good.
- Swapping with Canned Chickpeas: In case you may have canned chickpeas at house over dried chickpeas, you may make the dish with it as effectively. Chances are you’ll use about 3 cups canned chickpeas in that case.
- Cooking Chickpeas in a pan: When you plan to cook dinner the chickpeas in a pot, add about 3.5 to 4 cups water and salt to the chickpeas. Then, cowl and cook dinner until the chickpeas soften.
- Spiciness: Make the curry much less or extra spicy by including much less or extra dried pink chilies. The amount can even rely on the spice and warmth quotient of the chilies.
- Fat: You need to use ghee instead of oil to cook dinner this recipe. On this case, it is not going to be vegan. The recipe can also be doable with black chickpeas as an alternative of white chickpeas. You may also add make the identical curry cauliflower, potatoes or inexperienced peas.
- Leftovers: The leftover curry may be refrigerated for 1 to 2 days. Nevertheless, I like to recommend you eat it the identical day to keep away from any digestion-related points. Earlier than serving the refrigerated curry, gently reheat it in a pan. If the curry has turn out to be too thick, add some water to dilute the consistency a bit after which reheat.
Chances are you’ll attempt. However I recommend you do as a curry base ready with freshly toasted/roasted and floor spices imparts a distinct and distinctive taste within the dish as in comparison with the one made with pre-ground spices.
This Coconut Chickpea Curry will keep good within the fridge for about 1 to 2 days.Simply be certain that to reheat it correctly earlier than serving.
Since canned chickpeas are pre-cooked, you simply have to arrange the bottom curry. When you make it, add the canned chickpeas in it and let the curry simmer for a some minutes or till it’s barely thickened or reached the specified consistency.
Sure, you possibly can definitely put together the curry in ghee. Word, then it received’t be anymore vegan.
Please make sure you price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark beneath in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Chickpea Curry Recipe | Coconut Chickpea Curry
A extremely protein laden dish, this vegan Chickpea Curry is a spicy and tremendous scrumptious curry preparation made with wholesome white chickpeas, daring spices and aromatic coconut. Serve the Coconut Chickpea Curry over a bowl of scorching steamed rice for a comforting meal.
Prep Time 9 hrs
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Whole Time 9 hrs 30 minutes
For soaking & stress cooking chickpeas
For toasting or roasting spices
Different substances to make curry
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
First rinse the dried chickpeas for a few occasions in water. Then soak the chickpeas in 3 cups of water in a single day or for 8 to 9 hours.
Drain the water. Rinse the chickpeas once more for a few occasions.
Once more drain all of the water and add the soaked chickpeas in a 3 litre stovetop stress cooker.
Add ½ teaspoon salt and three cups water. Stir to combine.
Strain cook dinner the chickpeas for 20 to 22 minutes or 18 to twenty whistles on medium to excessive warmth.
If cooking chickpeas in a pot, then add about 3.5 to 4 cups water and salt to the chickpeas. Cowl and cook dinner the chickpeas until they softened.
Making curry paste
When the chickpeas are cooking, you possibly can roast or toast the spices. Collect all of the spices you will want and set them apart.
- In a pan or skillet, on a low warmth dry roast the spices besides coconut – listed beneath the “toasting or roasting the spices” heading above, until they turn out to be aromatic. Take care to not burn them, so roast them on low warmth and stir usually.Keep in mind to roast all spices besides coconut.
- As soon as the spices odor aromatic, add the recent grated coconut to the spices and start to roast or toast on low warmth.Word you could possibly use both recent grated coconut or frozen shredded coconut and even ⅓ cup of unsweetened shredded or desiccated coconut.
Stir constantly whereas roasting the coconut, so that there’s uniform and even cooking.
Roast until the coconut turn out to be golden. Take away the pan from the stovetop permit the this combination to chill at room temperature.
- As soon as the coconut-spice combination is cooled, add them to a high-speed blender or mixer-grinder. Make an observation to take away the husks from the black cardamom and simply add its seeds within the blender or grinder.
Add ⅔ to ¾ cup water and grind to a easy and high-quality consistency ensuring the curry paste doesn’t have any small chunks or bits of the spices and coconut.
Making chickpea curry
Warmth 3 tablespoons oil in a pan. Preserve warmth to a low or medium-low.
Add the mustard seeds and permit them to crackle. Then add tejpatta and stir.
Subsequent add the finely chopped onions. Stir and sauté on low to medium warmth until the onions flip translucent and soften.
Add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric energy, asafoetida and curry leaves.
Stir and sauté for a couple of seconds on low warmth until the uncooked aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
Add the chopped tomatoes. Sauté on a low to medium warmth, for about 2 to three minutes until the tomatoes soften.
Add the bottom coconut and spices curry paste. Stir very effectively to mix.
Then add the drained and cooked chickpeas. Stir once more effectively and saute for a minute.
Now add 1 cup of water and 1 or 2 slit inexperienced chilies.
Season with salt as required.
Give a boil first after which simmer the curry for 10 to fifteen minutes on a low to medium warmth or until the gravy thickens a bit and also you see some oil floating on prime.
Mash a couple of chickpeas with the edges of the spoon to thicken the gravy. Examine the seasonings and add extra salt should you choose.
Change off the warmth. Lastly add chopped coriander leaves. Stir effectively.
Serve Chickpea Curry scorching with chapati, poori, bread or steamed rice accompanied with lemon wedges and skinny onion slices or a facet of vegetable salad.
Ingredient Notes & Substitutions
- Dried Chickpeas: Use 3 cups of canned chickpeas.
- Stone flower: Could be skipped.
- Asafoetida: Non-obligatory ingredient and may be neglected.
- Recent Coconut: Swap with ⅓ cup of unsweetened shredded coconut or could make the curry paste with frozen shredded coconut.
- Curry leaves: Offers numerous taste to the curry, so don’t omit it from the recipe. You would additionally add dried curry leaves as an alternative.
- Black mustard seeds: Swap with small yellow mustard seeds.
- Dry pink chillies: Add chillies that are much less spicy or medium-spicy. You would additionally use the Indian number of Kashmiri pink chillies. If out of pink chillies, add ½ teaspoon pink chilli powder or cayenne pepper or paprika while you add turmeric powder to the softened onions.
- When you have forgotten to soak chickpeas, soak them in scorching water for two hours.
- For a much less spicy curry, add just one pink chilli or half of 1 chilli.
- Since coconut is without doubt one of the vital ingredient within the recipe, be certain that it’s recent and never rancid. The coconut ought to have a light candy style.
- You may cook dinner chickpeas in an Prompt Pot or in a pan on the stovetop including water as wanted.
- If utilizing canned chickpeas, add them while you add water to the curry paste. Simmer for some minutes till the curry thickens a bit and the chickpeas take up the flavour of the curry.
- Leftovers may be refrigerated for 1 to 2 days.
- For a gluten-free curry, don’t add asafoetida (hing).
Chickpea Curry Recipe | Coconut Chickpea Curry
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 343 Energy from Fats 162
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 4g25%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 10g
Vitamin A 377IU8%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.3mg20%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 30mg150%
Vitamin B6 0.3mg15%
Vitamin C 58mg70%
Vitamin E 5mg33%
Vitamin Ok 8µg8%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 581µg145%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Chickpea Curry recipe from the weblog archives, first revealed in July 2013 has been republished and up to date on December 2022.