This Simple Breakfast Casserole is made with eggs, floor sausage, shredded cheese, and day-old bread. Comforting and so flavorful, it’s the right make-ahead breakfast or vacation brunch.
Tremendous Simple Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Mornings welcomed with this best-ever breakfast casserole are assured to be nice. Hearty and scrumptious, however really easy to make, this superb casserole is made with simply seven predominant substances – yellow onion, floor sausage, eggs, milk, parmesan cheese, gouda cheese, and bread. The entire household will love this yummy recipe, it’s excellent for the vacation season or as a particular weekend breakfast or brunch. Merely put together forward of time and bake the morning of – really easy!
Do I would like to sit back this breakfast casserole earlier than baking it?
No. Nonetheless, it is strongly recommended. Chilling for at the very least 1 hour (as much as in a single day) within the fridge permits the milk and egg combination to soak into the day-old bread making it good and soggy excellent for baking. In case you think about French toast, one of the best recipes actually permit the milk and eggs to soak into the slices of bread earlier than cooking.
Learn how to Make Breakfast Casserole
Begin by spraying a big 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. In case you plan to prepare dinner this breakfast casserole straight away, preheat your oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit, in any other case you possibly can skip this step.
Step one is to sauté the onions and sausage in slightly olive oil till totally cooked. As soon as cooked take away from warmth and permit them to chill barely. Subsequent, whisk collectively the eggs, milk, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder till totally mixed. As soon as the sausage has cooled slightly, add the sausage and the shredded cheese to the egg combination. In case you add scorching sausage to raw eggs, it’s going to begin to prepare dinner the eggs.
Prepare the day-old bread within the backside of your ready baking dish then pour the egg and meat combination excessive.
Cowl with foil and refrigerate for as much as 12 hours.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for 35 minutes (coated) adopted by a further 25 minutes (uncovered). You recognize your breakfast casserole is totally cooked when the surface edges are agency and golden, and the middle isn’t jiggly anymore.
Gradual Cooker Breakfast Casserole
It’s simple to make this breakfast casserole within the crock pot. Merely put together the evening earlier than, set your gradual cooker to low, and let it prepare dinner as you sleep.
- Spray the bowl of your gradual cooker with non-stick olive oil or butter cooking spray.
- Prepare dinner the onion and sausage in a big skillet over medium warmth till cooked by way of. Switch to the gradual cooker with the day-old bread cubes.
- Whisk collectively the eggs, milk, cheese, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder till totally mixed, and pour over the sausage and bread. Combine to mix every part collectively.
- Prepare dinner for a complete of 7-8 hours, or till eggs are totally cooked. Don’t prepare dinner on excessive warmth.
Modifications and Substitutions
- Sneak in some greens by including child spinach or kale. You may even add sliced mushrooms, bell peppers, or tomatoes. I wish to sauté the veggies earlier than mixing them with the egg and milk combination.
- Swap the sausage for diced ham or bacon.
- Use no matter cheese is your favourite – cheddar cheese, goat cheese, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, Swiss, pepper Jack, Colby Jack cheese, and many others.
- For a creamier, extra luscious casserole, swap the entire milk for half-and-half. Or attempt some mixture of milk plus heavy cream.
- The perfect sort of bread will range from household to household. I don’t often like making breakfast casseroles with any form of wheat bread or complete grain bread. My favourite consists of day-old French bread, sourdough bread, challah bread, or Brioche.
What to Serve with Breakfast Casserole
This sausage breakfast casserole is implausible with a aspect of fruit or a recent fruit salad. I all the time like to serve mine with an enormous glass of orange juice. After I make this recipe for Christmas morning I’ll add freshly baked cinnamon rolls or blueberry muffins and tater tots.
When serving as leftovers, generally I’ll serve it over a pile of recent greens, or wrap it in a heat tortilla for a straightforward on-the-go breakfast.
Extra Breakfast Recipes,
In case you attempt making this Breakfast Casserole Recipe, please depart me a remark beneath! I all the time like to learn your ideas and suggestions!
This Simple Breakfast Casserole is made with eggs, floor sausage, shredded cheese, and day-old bread. Comforting and so flavorful, it is the right make-ahead breakfast or vacation brunch.
Forestall your display from going darkish
Preheat oven to 350 levels Fahrenheit and spray a big 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Put aside.
In the meantime, warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the onion and prepare dinner for 2-3 minutes, or till the onion turns translucent. Add the bottom sausage and prepare dinner till the sausage is totally cooked. Take away from warmth and put aside.
In a medium bowl whisk collectively the eggs, milk, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder till totally mixed.
As soon as the sausage has cooled, add the shredded cheese and cooked sausage to the egg combination. Combine effectively.
Within the backside of your ready 9 x 13-inch baking dish prepare the diced day-old bread in a good layer. Pour the egg and meat combination excessive.
Cowl the baking dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate for as much as 12 hours (non-obligatory, however advisable).
When able to bake, tent with foil and bake for 35 minutes, then take away the foil and bake for a further 25 minutes or till the surface edges are agency and golden and the middle is not jiggly anymore.
Take away from the oven and permit to chill for five minutes earlier than serving.
- Leftovers: Retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- To Freeze: As soon as the casserole is ready, however earlier than baking, cowl it with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for as much as 3 months.
- To Thaw: Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than baking.
- Whole baking time will range. You recognize your casserole is prepared when the perimeters are golden brown and the middle is not jiggly.
- This recipe could be made with scorching or candy Italian sausage or your favourite breakfast sausage. If most popular, swap the sausage for diced ham.
- This recipe is finest when it’s made with complete milk or a mix of milk (2% or complete milk) with heavy cream. It simply relies on how heavy and wealthy you want your breakfast casseroles to be.
Energy: 502kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 28g | Fats: 30g | Saturated Fats: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 4g | Monounsaturated Fats: 11g | Trans Fats: 0.1g | Ldl cholesterol: 224mg | Sodium: 1059mg | Potassium: 390mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 582IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 499mg | Iron: 3mg
(Diet data supplied is an estimate and can range based mostly on cooking strategies and particular manufacturers of substances used.)