These buffalo cauliflower wings are an irresistible facet dish or sport day snack! They’ve scrumptious crispy edges and a tremendous spicy, tangy taste.
Within the final couple of years, buffalo cauliflower wings, a plant-based spin on buffalo rooster wings, have change into a traditional sport day snack. However after testing and perfecting this recipe, I’m right here to let you know that buffalo cauliflower is wayyyy too good to solely make on sport day. I’ve been whipping it up for fall gatherings and film nights, for TV binge periods and even the occasional lunch or dinner. It’s crispy on the perimeters and tender within the center, spicy, tangy, and a bit of bit candy. Attempt one
floret erm, wing, and I promise, you’ll be again for extra earlier than you realize it.
My Buffalo Cauliflower Wing Sauce
Earlier than I break down the steps to this buffalo cauliflower recipe, let’s discuss buffalo sauce. Named after Buffalo, New York, its metropolis of origin, this wealthy, tangy, spicy condiment earned its fame as a sauce for normal rooster wings. It’s historically made with a cayenne pepper sizzling sauce like Frank’s RedHot, melted butter, and vinegar. You should buy ready buffalo sauce at many grocery shops, however for this buffalo cauliflower recipe, I want to make my very own.
Like most recipes, I begin with Frank’s RedHot and melted butter, however I forego any additional vinegar as a result of I discover the new sauce to be tangy sufficient by itself. As an alternative, I stir in honey, which makes the sauce thick and shiny, and I add garlic powder and paprika for savory complexity. It’s tremendous simple to stir collectively and so scrumptious! Don’t do butter or honey? Take a look at my buffalo sauce recipe for a vegan possibility.
The way to Make Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
When you put together your sauce, you may get happening the buffalo wings!
- Begin by breaking your cauliflower into giant, wing-size florets.
- Then, make a easy batter out of water, flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt. The flour makes the batter thick sufficient to coat the cauliflower florets, and the cornstarch helps them bake up good and crispy. Clearly, the spices add nice taste!
- Dip the cauliflower florets within the batter (it’ll give them a enjoyable fried impact with none frying) and organize them in a single layer on two giant, parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes, then flip and bake for 10 minutes extra.
- Take away from the oven and brush on a few of the buffalo sauce. Bake one final time till the cauliflower wings are darkish and crisp across the edges, 12 to fifteen minutes. Don’t skimp on this bake time! You wish to give the florets loads of time to caramelize and crisp up across the edges.
- Brush with extra buffalo sauce and serve!
The wings are a implausible appetizer or snack on their very own, however we additionally love them with a facet of celery sticks and vegan ranch dressing for dipping. I don’t have a recipe for blue cheese dressing, however it’s a traditional pairing with buffalo wings. Should you want it to ranch as a dip, by all means, go for it!
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
Suggestions for Making the BEST Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- Don’t skip the parchment paper. For this recipe, it’s important. With out it, the cauliflower wings will persist with the baking sheet whenever you attempt to flip them. Even with the parchment, ensure that to make use of a spatula and flip them rigorously. After simply 10 minutes of baking, the batter surrounding them continues to be delicate, and it may well simply tear through the flipping course of.
- Brush with extra sauce earlier than serving. Let’s be sincere: nearly as good as buffalo cauliflower wings are, they’re principally a automobile for buffalo sauce. To essentially pack in that crave-worthy buffalo taste, you’ll brush the wings with the sauce twice, as soon as mid-bake and as soon as proper earlier than serving. FYI, this isn’t a napkins-optional snack scenario.
- Eat them straight away. Nicely, perhaps not straight away, as a result of these buffalo cauliflower bites are tremendous sizzling once they come out of the oven. However they’re greatest inside a couple of minutes of baking, once they’re nonetheless heat and their edges are deliciously crisp. If you find yourself with leftovers, retailer them in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3 days. They gained’t be crispy, however they’ll nonetheless style nice!
Extra Favourite Snacks and Appetizers
Should you love these baked buffalo cauliflower wings, attempt considered one of these tasty snacks or appetizers subsequent:
Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
These baked buffalo cauliflower wings are such a enjoyable appetizer or snack! They’ve irresistible crispy edges and a scrumptious spicy, tangy taste. Move the napkins!
Preheat the oven to 450°F and line two giant baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt. Add the water and whisk till clean. Add the cauliflower and stir to coat.
Raise the cauliflower florets out of the batter, permitting any extra batter to drip again into the bowl. Prepare in a single layer on the ready baking sheets and bake for 10 minutes. Use a spatula to rigorously flip the florets. Bake for one more 10 minutes, swapping the pans on the oven racks.
Take away the cauliflower from the oven and brush with a few of the buffalo sauce. Bake for one more 12 to fifteen minutes, or till the cauliflower is darkish and crisp across the edges.
Take away from the oven and brush with further buffalo sauce. If desired, serve with vegan ranch for dipping.