All the great thing about a fruitcake — in cookie type! My fruitcake cookies are the final word strategy to get pleasure from fruit and nuts in addition to heat spices and flavors like cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
When the temperatures begin to drop, I instantly get into vacation mode — Thanksgiving and Christmas are an enormous deal in my dwelling!
It’s an opportunity to spend extra time with household, and I additionally simply love this season of giving.
Not surprisingly, one among my favourite issues to offer is meals! Who doesn’t get pleasure from getting a plate of cookies as a present?!
And, after slightly little bit of experimenting, I’ve discovered one other addition that I wish to share with you: chewy fruitcake cookies!
The thought behind this seasonal dessert is fabulous — conventional fruitcake is stuffed with fruit, nuts, and earthy spices like cinnamon.
However, I’ll say the execution generally is a little troublesome. I’ve eaten many arduous and flavorless fruitcakes in my day.
I’ve taken this traditional recipe and upgraded it into cookie type. I’ve additionally mastered the fruit to nut to spices ratio, and the outcomes are excellent!
You received’t discover any yucky fruitcakes right here!
Right here’s what I’m going to show you on this submit:
- All the substances you’ll have to make the proper fruitcake cookies recipe.
- Step-by-step directions to observe to be able to make this yummy dessert at dwelling.
- Solutions to questions like are fruitcake cookies wholesome? Plus, suggestions for what kind of fruit to make use of.
Step up your vacation cookie recreation and impress your visitors with this distinctive fruitcake cookies recipe. You’ll by no means take into consideration fruitcake the identical once more!
The best way to Make Fruitcake Cookies
A full printable model of this recipe with ingredient measurements is offered on the backside of this submit.
STEP ONE: Create the bottom of your fruitcake cookies recipe by combining the melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Then, add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk to mix. Place the flour, baking soda, orange zest, floor cinnamon, and floor nutmeg in a separate bowl and mix.
Fold the dry and moist substances collectively in order that there are not any giant lumps of flour. I like to recommend you utilize a rubber spatula!
STEP TWO: Now it’s time so as to add the celebrities of your chewy fruitcake cookies: cherries, raisins, pecans, and orange peel. You may as well be at liberty to make use of no matter kind of fruit and nuts you have got readily available! I like the thought of utilizing dried peaches and walnuts or pistachios as nicely. Ensure to not overmix right here.
STEP THREE: Cowl the cookie dough and place it within the fridge, permitting it to relax for half-hour. Whilst you wait, preheat your oven to 350 levels F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper. When the dough is chilled, scoop out 1.5 tablespoon-sized parts and place them evenly on the baking sheets.
STEP FOUR: Bake your chewy fruitcake cookies for 13-Quarter-hour or till the perimeters of the cookies develop into barely golden brown. Take away from the oven and permit them to chill earlier than having fun with!
Are Fruitcake Cookies Wholesome?
Whereas I’m not a health care provider, the “are fruitcake cookies wholesome” query does come up quite a bit, so I needed to the touch on it right here.
I’ve to imagine that consuming cookies isn’t as nutritious as say, consuming dried fruit and nuts on their very own. There may be fairly a little bit of sugar and butter on this recipe.
When you’re involved about whether or not or not one thing is wholesome, it is best to speak to a well being skilled!
What Liquor Is Utilized in Fruitcake?
Conventional fruitcake recipes do use liquor. Most rely upon sherry, rum, whisky, or Cointreau (an orange liqueur) for heat and taste.
My recipe doesn’t have any liquor in it, that means you may give them to your youngsters (or those that don’t wish to eat alcohol) guilt-free!
Does Fruitcake Want To Be Refrigerated?
You may retailer your cookies in an hermetic container in your counter or in your pantry for as much as 3 days.
You don’t need to refrigerate them if you happen to don’t wish to, however I admit generally I get pleasure from a relaxing cookie! When you’re the alternative and wish to warmth them up, you are able to do so within the microwave.
Can I Make Fruitcake Cookies Gluten-Free?
Undoubtedly! Merely substitute the all-purpose flour together with your favourite gluten-free choice. After I wish to make mine GF, I’m an enormous fan of utilizing almond flour.
The refined almond taste compliments the fruit and nuts completely!
Different Cookie Recipes You’ll Love:
Cook dinner Time
- Add the melted butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar to a big bowl and whisk to mix.
- Subsequent, add the egg and vanilla extract. Whisk once more to mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, orange zest, floor cinnamon, and floor nutmeg.
- Add the dry substances to the moist and fold them collectively till no giant lumps of flour stay. A rubber spatula works finest for this!
- Subsequent, add the cherries, raisins, pecans, and orange peel. Fold the fruit into the cookie dough. Ensure to combine simply till the fruit is integrated– you don’t wish to overmix.
- Cowl the cookie dough and place it within the fridge to relax for half-hour. Whereas the dough chills, preheat the oven to 350F and line two giant baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop out 1.5 tablespoon sized parts and place them at the least 2” aside on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-Quarter-hour, or till the perimeters of the cookie are simply golden brown.
- Permit the cookies to chill fully on the pan, after which retailer them in an hermetic container at room temperature for as much as three days.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 176Complete Fats: 2gSaturated Fats: 0gTrans Fats: 0gUnsaturated Fats: 2gLdl cholesterol: 16mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 2g
This diet data relies on the precise merchandise I used on this recipe. Manufacturers and sizes of merchandise might alter actual diet and may at all times be calculated independently.