I like meals, particularly sweets, however I can’t bake or cook dinner.
My kitchen experiences are largely restricted to slicing uncooked greens and steaming tofu for salads. Nothing too sophisticated.
Are you aware what else isn’t presupposed to be too sophisticated? TikTok recipes.
With a mean video period of underneath one minute, how advanced can they get?
Utilizing several types of LIN sugar, we tried three TikTok recipes.
1. Air-fried chocolate chip cookies
This cookie recipe intrigued me as my few experiences with an air-fryer had been largely restricted to savoury meals.
In keeping with the TikTok video, these air-fried cookies will prove smooth, like a Subway cookie.
We substituted the baking chocolate with a smaller quantity of chocolate chips, however be at liberty so as to add extra chocolate should you’re a serious chocoholic.
- ½ cup LIN Pure Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup LIN Caster Sugar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
1. We put the caster sugar, brown sugar, and melted butter right into a mixing bowl and whisked.
2. We added the egg and vanilla extract in and whisked once more.
3. We added the flour, baking soda, and chocolate chips, and whisked once more.
4. When the components had been effectively combined, we left it within the freezer for half-hour. Within the meantime, we preheated the air-fryer at 170°C.
5. As soon as the half-hour had been carried out, we scooped them out with a spoon into the air-fryer that lined with parchment paper.
Opposite to the video directions, we suggest smaller and flatter scoops to make sure that the cookies are absolutely baked.
6. We air-fried the cookies for eight minutes at 170°C.
7. We suggest letting the cookies relaxation for round 30 to 45 minutes should you discover the cookies too smooth once they’re contemporary out of the air-fryer.
The cookies appeared a little bit unpolished however most significantly, they appeared and tasted like chocolate chip cookies.
Our colleagues who tried the cookies described the style as “not dangerous” and “not too candy”.
2. Brown sugar iced latte
As a fan of brown sugar boba with oat milk, I used to be fairly enthusiastic about this one regardless that I’m not a espresso drinker.
Sadly, this TikTok recipe didn’t include any measurements so we got here up with our personal.
You may need to regulate the recipe based on the dimensions of your glass and style preferences.
We additionally substituted the espresso granules for brewed black espresso.
- 1 tablespoon of LIN Pure Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of LIN Pure Icing Sugar
- 2 tablespoons of scorching water
- 3 drops of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¾ cup of black espresso
- ¾ cup of oat milk (or different milk options)
- ⅓ cup of heavy cream
1. We combined brown sugar into scorching water, ¼ cup of espresso, vanilla extract, and cinnamon and set it apart.
2. In one other cup, we whisked the heavy cream, icing sugar, and two tablespoons of brewed espresso to create foam.
3. We stuffed our glass of alternative with ice and added the milk, adopted by the sugar-coffee combination.
4. We topped the drink with the froth and dusted some cinnamon powder.
The espresso, oat milk, and brown sugar flavour complemented each other very effectively whereas the froth added creaminess to every sip.
Non-coffee drinkers can take into account swapping out the espresso with tea or simply have it as brown sugar milk.
In case you don’t have a lot of a candy tooth, take into account dialing again on the sugar or including extra espresso.
Hardcore espresso drinkers may also want to go for Espresso as a substitute of brewed espresso for a stronger espresso style.
3. Candied fruits (tanghulu)
I’ve all the time wished to do this recipe after seeing Jennie and Jisoo from Ok-pop woman band BlackPink do it.
It appeared easy sufficient, based on this TikTok recipe.
- 1 cup LIN caster sugar
- ½ cup water
- Strawberries or different fruits of your alternative
- Iced water tub (non-compulsory)
- Picket chopsticks or satay sticks
1. We put the sugar and water in a saucepan on medium to excessive warmth with out stirring.
2. As we didn’t have a cooking thermometer, we eyeballed the effervescent of the sugar to see when it matches that within the video.
3. As soon as that occurred, we took the saucepan off the warmth and began dipping our fruits in.
In contrast to the particular person within the video who dipped the strawberries in by holding the leaves, we selected to make use of picket chopsticks for security (and in addition as a result of we’re scared).
4. After dipping the fruit in, let the surplus sugar syrup drip off into the saucepan first earlier than you switch it to the iced water tub or to your plate.
5. We let the tanghulu relaxation for a little bit longer on the plate earlier than consuming.
In comparison with contemporary strawberries (sure, I pinched just a few earlier), the strawberry tanghulu felt a little bit juicier.
Apart from including a crunch to the feel, the hardened sugar layer helps minimize by the tartness of the strawberries.
Whereas the grape one appeared loads like quintessential tanghulu, the sugar overpowered the style of grapes.
Which is why fruits with a stronger tart flavour like strawberries, pineapples, oranges, and kiwi, work higher with this tanghulu recipe.
To explain it in Jennie’s phrases, it was “not dangerous”.
Experimentation with LIN Caramel Granulated Sugar
Out of curiosity, we additionally tried the tanghulu recipe by substituting LIN Caster Sugar with LIN Caramel Granulated Sugar that’s enriched with fructose and boasts a sandy tint.
The whole lot labored effectively till we tried to eat them.
In contrast to the caster sugar tanghulu that bore the traditional hardened sugar layer that melted a little bit however largely remained on the fruits’ floor, the one made with caramel granulated sugar didn’t adhere very effectively to the fruits.
Once we tried to elevate the tanghulu off the plate, the caramel granulated sugar layer was slowly “peeled” off the fruit.
The feel was additionally very totally different — very sticky with a gumminess that jogged my memory of traditional malt candy that caught to the insides of my mouth.
On this case, Jisoo’s phrases, “not dangerous however not good”, is perhaps extra apt right here.
LIN sugar by Maxwill Group
Apart from brown sugar, caster sugar, caramel granulated sugar, and icing sugar, LIN provides a variety of sugar merchandise to your on a regular basis and baking wants.
For instance, they’ve refined sugar in handy sachets to your every day cuppa.
These sugar merchandise will be discovered at chosen shops of NTUC FairPrice, Sheng Siong, Haomart, and Bake with Yen.
Apart from sugar, one in every of Maxwill’s newest merchandise consists of zero per cent calorie syrup.
Whereas it is but to hit our shores but, Maxwill has plans to convey this in quickly so maintain your eyes peeled.
Established in 1996, Maxwill is a sugar specialist firm and is the only distributor of LIN Sugar.
Take a look at the complete vary of sugar and different merchandise which are supplied by Maxwill here.
This sponsored article by Maxwill x LIN sweetened this author’s boring afternoon.
High photos by Karen Lui.