Parsi delicacies is a kind of cuisines that basically have to be spoken about extra. For, it’s a heat and loving meals tradition, similar to its individuals who make the world a happier place with their charming and witty demeanor. This Parsi Brown Rice is simply that. It’s a humble rice dish, however is fragrant and completely golden with a faint candy tinge of the caramelized onions in it.
Parsi Brown Rice, A Memoir
The primary time I acquired an opportunity to get acquainted with the celebrated Parsi Brown Rice was in my cooking faculty. What a beautiful time that was – simply cooking, studying new recipes, methods, scoring nicely in assessments and a lot extra. That was additionally the time after I majorly cooked in faculty, and infrequently at residence.
I can even clearly recall our meals and vitamin professor telling us that this particular rice preparation has a brown hue to it. This brown shade is as a result of caramelization of sugar and onions, and is a definite function of this dish.
Together with the Parsi Brown Rice, we have been additionally taught the Dhansak, which makes for a wow mixture together with this particular rice. Since then, I had turn into a whole fan of this delicacies. A lot that I wished my household to have a style of it.
I couldn’t make it potential for the longest time as my people at residence by no means ventured in another cuisines. They have been all the time contended with the common South Indian, Goan, Maharashtrian and Punjabi fares. Till not too long ago, the place I truly acquired an opportunity to make this Parsi Brown Rice for them. And I’m glad, they favored it too.
Extra On This Recipe
You have to’ve gotten an thought by now that this Parsi Brown Rice recipe too is an adaptation from my cooking faculty notes. Since I’m normally looking out for simpler and easy cooking strategies, I actually contemplate this recipe too as an excellent straightforward and fuss-free technique of constructing this dish.
Whereas on the face of it it’s possible you’ll assume that the recipe is made with brown rice. However that’s not the case. The recipe is so referred to as as a result of shade of the rice being a lightweight golden brown which occurs as a result of caramelization of sugar.
Basmati rice, entire spices, onions and sugar are primarily what you have to make this Parsi Brown Rice. The spices make this rice dish aromatic like its different counterparts Jeera Rice, Saffron Rice, Veg Pulao or Ghee Rice. Nevertheless, the flavour continues to be completely different on this Brown Rice.
As talked about earlier, the Parsi Brown Rice has candy undertones as a result of presence of sugar and onions in it. However as an alternative of caramelizing the sugar individually, I do it with the onions itself. Saves on some extra time.
The last word pairing is understood to be of this Parsi Brown Rice and a comforting Dhansak. However I attempted it with a Parsi dal as nicely, and that too was pleasant. The gentle dal goes rather well with the candy and fragrant rice.
If you’re choosing this rice-dal mixture, you can even add a potato roast or a spicy patio as an accompaniment to finish the meal.
Why This Recipe Works
This dish with strong Persian influences is refined in your face, however inside holds a fancy taste profile that intertwines completely along with your palate. Identical to different dishes of this versatile delicacies. You could not have tasted one thing so distinctive, but easy, all of sudden.
Subsequent, how can I not point out the convenience with which this Parsi Brown Rice will get achieved. Whether or not you’re a expert cook dinner or an newbie, there’s nothing so troublesome on this recipe that you’ll find yourself racking your brains over.
You simply should guarantee that the caramelization course of is on level, as a result of that’s the USP of this dish. The onions must be good and golden, and never burn!
It’s one and all pleasant! Turns into successful with each youngsters and adults alike due to its beautiful flavors.
How one can make Parsi Brown Rice
1. Measure all of the substances required and hold prepared for the rice.
2. Rinse 1 cup basmati rice 3 to 4 occasions in water.
3. Soak the basmati rice in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour.
4. After 20 to half-hour, drain the entire water from the rice and hold apart.
Make Parsi Brown Rice
5. Warmth 2 tablespoons of ghee or oil in a thick-bottomed pot.
6. Add 1 inch cinnamon, 2 to three inexperienced cardamoms, 2 to three cloves and a pair of to three entire black peppercorns. You can even add 1 tej patta.
7. Fry on low warmth until the spices flip aromatic.
8. Add 1 medium-sized sliced onion – about ½ cup sliced onions.
9. Stir and sauté the onions until they flip translucent and are softened.
10. Now, add ½ teaspoon sugar.
11. Stir nicely to combine.
12. Proceed frying the onions until they caramelize or get browned. The sugar may also caramelize. Preserve stirring in between to make sure even browning.
13. When the onions are caramelized, rapidly take out some onions and reserve for garnishing.
They’ll have a candy style and will probably be a little bit sticky as a result of caramelization of the sugar as nicely.
14. Add the drained basmati rice.
15. Gently stir.
16. Pour 1.5 to 2 cups water or as required.
17. Stir and blend nicely.
18. Add salt as required and stir to combine.
19. Cowl tightly, and cook dinner until the rice is totally achieved and all of the water is absorbed.
20. Test a couple of times in between, when the rice is cooking.
21. If the water is all absorbed and the rice will not be cooked utterly, then add a couple of tablespoons of sizzling water.
22. Don’t stir as you don’t need to break the rice grains. Cowl and cook dinner the rice for two to three minutes extra.
23. Lastly, gently fluff the rice and garnish with the reserved caramelized onions.
24. Serve Parsi Brown Rice with veg dhansak, patio or parsi dal.
Sure, in fact you possibly can cook dinner this in an Immediate Pot.
The most effective factor to do is to have it instantly and I actually received’t recommend you to retailer it. You probably have leftovers, refrigerate. However make certain to complete it in a day.
You might use another number of aromatic rice that’s non-sticky or lengthy grained rice. You can even use brown rice. On this case, it should extra time to cook dinner. Alter the amount of water too accordingly.
Please make sure you charge this recipe within the recipe card beneath when you’ve got made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Parsi Brown Rice
This Parsi Brown Rice is a flavorful rice dish made with basmati rice, entire spices, sugar and onions. It’s aromatic and completely golden with a faint candy tinge of the caramelized onions in it.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Soaking Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 40 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Soak the basmati rice in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour. After 20 to half-hour, drain the water from the soaked rice. Set the rice apart.
Warmth oil or ghee in a thick bottomed pot. Add the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and black pepper. You can even add 1 tej patta. Fry the entire spices on a low warmth until they get aromatic.
Add the sliced onions. Stir and fry the onions until they get translucent and are softened.
Now add sugar and stir. Proceed frying the onions until they caramelize or get browned.
The sugar may also caramelize. Carry on stirring in between to make sure even browning.
- When the onions have gotten browned, rapidly take away some onions for garnishing. They’ll have candy style and will probably be a little bit sticky as a result of caramelization of sugar.
Add the rice and gently stir. Pour 1.5 to 2 cups water or as required. Add salt and stir.
Cowl tightly and let the rice cook dinner until achieved and all of the water is absorbed.
Test a couple of times when the rice is cooking.
If the water is all absorbed and the rice will not be cooked utterly, then add a couple of tablespoons of sizzling water.
Do not stir as you do not need to break the rice grains. Cowl and cook dinner the rice for two to three minutes extra.
Serve Parsi Brown Rice garnished with the fried onions with dhansak, patio or dal.
- You may make this recipe with any number of non-sticky rice and even lengthy grained rice.
- If making the recipe with brown rice, you have to so as to add extra water.
- Simply scale the recipe to halve or double it.
Parsi Brown Rice
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 289 Energy from Fats 45
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 4g
Vitamin A 2IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 3mg4%
Vitamin E 2mg13%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 12µg3%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Parsi Brown Rice recipe put up from the weblog archives first printed in July 2013 has been republished and up to date on 3 August 2022.