Intently associated to the pulao and even biryani, Tehri a.okay.a Tahri or Tehari is a one-pot, aromatic and spiced Vegetable Rice dish from the delicacies of Uttar Pradesh. Since a Tehri recipe is primarily vegetarian, some of the integral greens that’s used on this dish is a potato. There could or might not be different veggies, however a Tahri recipe will need to have potatoes. Do that flavorful rice dish at your house too.
About This Tehri Recipe
A delicacy from Uttar Pradesh, additionally Awadhi delicacies, this Vegetable Rice or Tehri recipe has a medley of blended greens with potatoes being the outstanding one. Plus, there’s clearly basmati rice and a few spices. However don’t get intimidated with this checklist, as it’s fairly simple to arrange.
As I’ve mentioned about Tahri, pulao and biryani beneath, the strategy of constructing this Tahari recipe may appear like making a pulao, however the dum cooking approach (gradual cooking in a tightly sealed pot not permitting any steam to flee) makes the distinction within the style and flavors. Since principally pulao shouldn’t be cooked on dum.
Along with the should add potato, different greens which might be a standard in any Tahri are cauliflower and inexperienced peas. To this, I’ve added carrot and French beans and even you need to use whichever vegetable combine you like.
You’ll be able to even make a one or two Vegetable Rice like a easy potato, cauliflower or inexperienced peas, potato Tahri, or go for the essential Aloo Tehri recipe that has solely potatoes. My specific Tehari recipe is tailored from the cookbook ‘Basic Cooking Of Avadh’ by the well-known Jiggs Kalra.
This simple Vegetable Rice, paired with a creamy raita or simply plain curd/yogurt, makes for a great weekend lunch. So, do make it at dwelling and luxuriate in along with your close to and expensive ones.
Tips on how to make Tehri
1. Rinse 1.5 cups (300 grams) basmati rice very properly in water until the water runs away from starch. Then, soak the rice in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour.
2. After 20 to half-hour, drain all of the water and set the soaked rice apart.
3. Rinse and soak 2 cups mediums dimension cauliflower florets in scorching water for 15 to twenty minutes. This blanching step is optionally available and solely to do away with any bugs or worms within the cauliflower.
After blanching the cauliflower, drain water and hold the cauliflower florets apart. Additionally, chop the remainder of the greens and put aside.
Make Veg Tahri
4. Warmth 3 tablespoons ghee in a deep thick-bottomed pot or pan. Preserve warmth to a low in order that the ghee doesn’t burn.
5. Add the next spices:
- 1 tej patta
- 4 inexperienced cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- 4 to five cloves
- 2 sticks every of 1 inch cinnamon
On low warmth sauté the spices till they splutter and grow to be aromatic.
As an alternative of ghee, you may also use mustard oil or sunflower oil.
6. Then, add 1 cup heaped sliced onions.
7. Stir and start to sauté the onions.
8. Sautéing the onions takes a whole lot of time. So, add a pinch of salt for fast cooking of the onions.
9. Sauté until the onions grow to be golden.
10. Then, add 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste.
11. Sauté for some seconds until the uncooked aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
12. Add ¾ cup chopped tomatoes.
13. Sauté the tomatoes for a minute or two.
14. Then, add 1 cup tightly packed diced potatoes.
15. Sauté the potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes on low to medium warmth.
16. Subsequent, add ½ cup chopped carrots, ⅓ cup chopped French beans, ½ cup recent or frozen inexperienced peas and the blanched cauliflower florets.
17. Combine the greens with the remainder of the components.
18. Then, add 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves, 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and 3 slit inexperienced chilies.
19. Additionally, add 1 teaspoon pink chili powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder and ½ teaspoon turmeric powder.
20. Stir and blend very properly.
21. Add ½ tablespoon lemon juice.
22. Then, add rice.
23. Gently combine the rice very properly with the masala and sauté for a minute.
24. Pour 2.5 to three cups water. You may as well add 1 teaspoon rose water or kewra water at this step.
Notice that it’s important to add both rose water or kewra water and never their essences. If utilizing both rose or kewra essence, then solely add 1 to 2 drops.
25. Season with salt in response to style. Stir to mix. Test the style of the water and it must be barely salty.
Cook dinner Vegetable Rice
26. Cowl the pan with a good becoming lid, in order that the steam doesn’t cross from the perimeters. If you need, you may also seal the pan with an aluminium foil after which cowl the pan with the lid.
27. On low warmth (sim), cook dinner the Tahri until all of the water is absorbed and the rice grains are fluffy and comfortable.
It took me 20 minutes to cook dinner the rice. Time will differ relying on the scale and quantity of pan, the thickness of pan, flame depth, and so on.
You’ll be able to verify the rice grains whereas cooking a few times. If the rice grains look undercooked, add a couple of tablespoons of scorching water or as wanted. Gently stir with out breaking the rice grains. Cowl and proceed to cook dinner.
28. As soon as completed, give a resting time of 5 minutes. Then, gently fluff and serve the Veg Tahri with Raita or plain curd (yogurt). You may as well garnish it with some fried onions whereas serving.
- Each time utilizing cauliflower, blanch cauliflower florets in scorching water for about 15 to twenty minutes. This can you to do away with any bugs/worms in them.
- Use any good model of basmati rice to make Tehri. Aged basmati rice is ideal to make this conventional dish. The quantity of water that it’s essential add will rely upon the standard and age of rice.
- You’ll be able to cook dinner the recipe in mustard oil or sunflower oil as an alternative of ghee. You would additionally use any impartial oil.
- For sautéing onions rapidly, add a pinch of salt. It’s a must to stir typically when sautéing onions in order that they cook dinner evenly.
- Whereas cooking the rice, you possibly can even seal the pan with an aluminium foil after which cowl it with a lid. This can make sure that the steam doesn’t cross from the sides.
- The time taken to cook dinner this rice dish majorly depends upon the scale, quantity, thickness of the pan used and warmth depth. Test the rice grains a few times, whereas cooking.
- As soon as the rice grains are absolutely cooked, hold the pan to relaxation for five minutes. Then, gently fluff the rice and serve. Garnishing may be completed with some fried onions.
Tahri vs Pulao vs Biryani
Whereas Indian delicacies as an entire has innumerable methods to make a Vegetable Rice, however in terms of reputation, a Biryani tops the checklist with the pulao coming a detailed second to it.
Tehri may be referred to as as a variant of the pulao itself, although with its personal set of variations. Tahri is made with extra spices than a pulao and has a strong complicated style and taste in comparison with pulao which is normally delicate and lightweight.
Tehari additionally entails the dum technique of cooking in contrast to a pulao that may be stress cooked. A Tahari recipe may also have spices much like that of a biryani. However in contrast to a Biryani which has layers of par-cooked rice and gravy, each Tehri and Pulao would not have any layers.
Please remember to charge this recipe within the recipe card beneath you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Tehri Recipe | Tahri (Vegetable Rice)
A specialty from Uttar Pradesh delicacies, Tehri often known as Tahri or Tehari is a one-pot Vegetable Rice dish that’s aromatic, spiced and made with basmati rice, combine greens and spices.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 30 minutes
Complete Time 50 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse basmati rice in water very properly until the water runs away from starch. Then soak the rice in sufficient water for 20 to half-hour.
After 20 to half-hour, drain all of the water from the rice and hold the soaked rice grains apart.
Rinse and soak 2 cups medium-sized cauliflower florets in scorching water for 15 to twenty minutes.
This blanching step is optionally available and solely to do away with any bugs or worms within the cauliflower.
After blanching the cauliflower, drain all of the water. Set the blanched cauliflower apart. Additionally chop the remainder of the veggies and put aside.
Making vegetable tehri
Warmth ghee in a thick bottomed deep pot or pan. As an alternative of ghee you may also use mustard oil or sunflower oil.
Preserve the warmth to low in order that the ghee doesn’t burn.
Subsequent add the next spices and fry until the spices splutter and grow to be aromatic – tej patta, inexperienced cardamoms, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon.
Add the sliced onions. Stir and start to sauté the onions.
Sautéing the onions take a whole lot of time. Thus add a pinch of salt for fast cooking of the onions.
Sauté until the onions grow to be golden.
Then add ginger garlic paste. Sauté for a couple of seconds until the uncooked aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
Add chopped tomatoes. Sauté the tomatoes for a minute or two.
Subsequent add diced potatoes. Sauté the potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes on a low to medium warmth.
Subsequent add chopped carrots, chopped french beans , recent or frozen inexperienced peas and the cauliflower florets.
Combine the veggies with the remainder of the components.
Add chopped mint leaves, chopped coriander leaves, inexperienced chilies, pink chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
Stir and blend to mix the bottom spices. Add lemon juice.
Then add the rice. Combine the rice grains gently and evenly with the masala and sauté for a minute.
Pour 2.5 to three cups water. You may as well add 1 teaspoon rose water or kewra water at this step. Season with salt as wanted.
Cowl the pan with a good lid. If you need you may also seal the pan with an aluminium foil after which cowl the pan with a lid.
On a low warmth, cook dinner the tehri until all of the water is absorbed and the rice grains are fluffy and comfortable.
If the rice grains are undercooked and all of the water has been absorbed, add a about a couple of tablespoons of scorching water or as wanted. Cowl and proceed to cook dinner.
It took me 20 minutes for the rice to cook dinner. Time will differ relying on the scale and quantity of pan, the thickness of pan, flame depth and so on.
As soon as completed, give a resting time of 5 minutes. Then gently fluff and serve vegetable tehri with a raita or plain curd.
- Ideally use aged basmati rice for a separate, non sticky, fluffy texture within the rice.
- Be at liberty so as to add your most popular greens.
- For a much less spiced or spicier style, scale back the ginger-garlic paste, inexperienced chillies and pink chilli powder.
- Add water as wanted whereas cooking rice. The amount of water to be added depends upon the standard and age of rice. Normally natural sorts of basmati rice want extra water.
- You would additionally some nuts like cashews, almonds, pistachios within the tehri recipe when you like.
Tehri Recipe | Tahri (Vegetable Rice)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 487 Energy from Fats 108
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 7g44%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 3g
Ldl cholesterol 29mg10%
Vitamin A 5583IU112%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 59mg72%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 25µg24%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 80µg20%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Tehri Recipe publish from the archives first revealed in December 2015 has been republished and up to date on 22 July 2022.