This straightforward blueberry cobbler recipe is a scrumptious showcase for summer time fruit. A layer of juicy, jammy berries bubbles beneath a golden biscuit topping.
When life provides you blueberries, make blueberry cobbler!
In our nook of the Midwest, blueberry season has simply begun. We’re having fun with these bursty, sweet-tart fruits in as some ways as we will. Contemporary, in muffins, simmered right into a syrupy compote… However once we’re within the temper for an actual deal with, I make this blueberry cobbler.
I actually love this recipe as a result of it places the recent fruit entrance and middle. I solely sweeten it calmly, letting the berries’ pure sweetness shine, and I skew heavy on the ratio of fruit to biscuit topping. This blueberry cobbler recipe includes a skinny layer of golden, buttery biscuits with numerous juicy, jammy blueberries effervescent beneath. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and it’s absolute heaven.
Blueberry Cobbler Recipe Elements
Right here’s what you’ll must make this recent blueberry cobbler recipe:
- Blueberries, in fact! Two pints create the bottom of this comforting blueberry cobbler.
- Cane sugar – Simply two tablespoons are sufficient to sweeten the fruit. You’ll use somewhat extra sugar within the biscuit topping.
- Cornstarch – It thickens the blueberry juices because the cobbler bakes.
- Lemon juice and zest – The juice’s tart taste completely accents the candy berries, whereas the zest brightens the biscuits.
- Vanilla extract – It provides heat depth of taste to the fruit layer.
- All-purpose flour and complete wheat flour – For the biscuit dough.
- Coconut milk and unsalted butter – They add richness and buttery taste to the biscuit topping.
- Baking powder – It helps the biscuits rise.
- And sea salt – It perfects the biscuits’ calmly candy and buttery taste.
Discover the whole recipe with measurements under.
The way to Make Blueberry Cobbler
Oh, and one other wonderful thing about this blueberry cobbler? It’s easy to make! Right here’s the way it goes:
First, make the biscuit dough. Begin by grating the butter on the big holes of a field grater. To do that, you’ll want the butter to be chilly. I like to recommend freezing it for one hour earlier than you grate it. Don’t freeze it for for much longer than that, although! In the event you freeze the butter for too lengthy, will probably be too exhausting to grate.
Subsequent, whisk collectively the dry components. Kind a effectively within the middle and pour within the coconut milk.
Add the butter, and use a spatula to fold and type the combination right into a cohesive ball of dough.
Then, roll out the dough. Place it on a calmly floured floor, and roll it out right into a 1/2-inch-thick circle. Use a 2 1/4-inch biscuit cutter to chop biscuits out of the dough, re-rolling the scraps as obligatory. When you’ve lower out 9 to 11 biscuits, switch them to a big plate or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pop them within the fridge to sit back whilst you make the filling.
To make the filling, place the blueberries in a big bowl.
Add the cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla, and toss till the fruit is effectively coated.
Then, assemble the cobbler. Switch the fruit to a greased baking dish, and prepare the chilled biscuits on prime.
Brush the biscuits with melted butter…
…and sprinkle them with coarse sugar.
Lastly, bake till the fruit is effervescent and the biscuits are golden brown.
Permit the blueberry cobbler to chill for quarter-hour. Then, serve with vanilla ice cream. Coconut whipped cream (or common whipped cream) could be nice too!
Simple Blueberry Cobbler Recipe Suggestions
- Chunky coconut milk? Pop it within the blender. Typically, whenever you open a can of coconut milk, you’ll discover that the solids and liquid have separated. Please, don’t be tempted to push apart the solids and simply use the watery liquid that you simply discover within the can. For this recipe, it’s important that the solids are absolutely included with the coconut milk, as they make the biscuits tender and flavorful. To mix the solids and liquid, dump the contents of the can right into a blender, and rapidly pulse to mix. Then, measure out 1/2 cup of the creamy coconut milk to make use of within the recipe. No coconut milk? Buttermilk or complete milk would work right here too.
- Grate the butter. In a standard biscuit recipe, you’d use a pastry cutter or your arms to work the butter into the flour. Right here, I grate the butter as a substitute. This foolproof approach eliminates among the guesswork of the normal methodology, as you don’t must determine when the items of butter are an acceptable measurement, nevertheless it nonetheless ensures that small items of butter are evenly distributed all through the dough. Attempt it, and also you’ll find yourself with excellent biscuits each time!
- Chill the biscuits whilst you make the filling. Similar to whenever you’re making pie crust, you need to maintain the biscuit dough chilly till you place it within the oven. That means, the butter within the dough will soften because the biscuits bake, making them mild and properly layered. To stop the butter from melting earlier, stick the biscuits within the fridge whilst you put together the filling.
Extra Favourite Summer season Treats
In the event you love this blueberry cobbler recipe, strive considered one of these summer time treats subsequent:
This blueberry cobbler recipe is a scrumptious summer time dessert! Within the unlikely occasion that you’ve leftovers, cowl them and retailer them at room temperature for as much as 2 days.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons complete wheat flour, spooned and leveled
- 2½ tablespoons cane sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, freeze for 1 hour, grate on giant holes of a field grater, plus extra melted butter for brushing
- Coarse sugar or extra cane sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 pints (4 cups) recent blueberries
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon recent lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease an 8×8-inch baking dish.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the all-purpose flour, complete wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Kind a effectively within the middle and add the coconut milk and grated butter. Use a spatula to fold and type the combination right into a cohesive ball of dough.
Place the dough on a calmly floured floor and use a calmly floured rolling pin to roll it out right into a ½-inch-thick circle. Use a 2¼-inch spherical biscuit cutter to chop out 9 to 11 biscuits, rerolling the scraps and dusting the floor with extra flour as obligatory. Switch the biscuits to a parchment-lined plate or baking sheet and refrigerate whilst you make the filling.
Make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and vanilla and toss till the fruit is effectively coated. Switch the combination to the ready baking dish and prepare the biscuits evenly on prime. Brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or till the fruit is effervescent and the biscuits are golden brown. Permit to chill for quarter-hour earlier than serving.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.