Chopping Chai with step-by-step pictures. Chopping chai is a phrase that each individual in Mumbai is effectively versed with. What’s slicing chai? It’s half a portion of chai/tea. Its served in particular sort of glasses as a substitute of cups. I’ve shared the photograph of this glass beneath. This robust chai is made with black tea, milk, cardamom powder, grated ginger and sugar.
Chai is nostalgic as throughout my faculty days in addition to workplace days, I’d exit throughout the breaks to have some chai with snacks. Earlier with my faculty buddies after which later with workplace colleagues, we used to go to the chai stall (additionally referred to as as Tapri) and have chai with some biscuits or khari biscuits.
Generally we’d have vada pav or bhajiya pav with chai. I additionally used to go to Irani eating places (the Irani cafe close to Andheri station which has closed now and one in fort) and have chai there with bun maska.
Having slicing chai is kind of an everyday affair in Mumbai. Plus they aren’t costly too. You don’t get to see slicing chai being served, wherever else besides on the streets of Mumbai. I used to be lacking slicing chai so made this. Finest a part of making this tea at house is you could possibly have the total glass as a substitute of half glass 😉
How is slicing chai made?
Tea is brewed with tea leaves, ginger and cardamom powder together with milk. The tea is boiled for an extended time so it turns into a very robust chai and has a dominant taste of cardamom adopted by ginger.
You may membership the slicing chai with Onion Pakoda or Samosa or masala vada. You can even have sandwiches or veg cutlet or aloo tikki with tea. Bun maska and slicing chai is our favourite. Generally I simply pair slicing chai with bread-butter. Easy meals however superb.
Find out how to make Chopping Chai
1. Maintain all of the components prepared for making the slicing chai. Peel the ginger pores and skin and preserve apart. The variety of cardamoms within the beneath pic is just for reference and never the precise quantity added within the chai.
2. Crush 2 to three inexperienced cardamoms in a mortar-pestle.
3. Crush until you get a semi-fine or coarse powder. Alternatively, you may as well grind inexperienced cardamoms in a small espresso grinder till a wonderful powder is fashioned.
Additionally grate or crush the ginger and preserve it apart.
4. Warmth 2 cups water in a vessel or pan. When the water turns into scorching, then add 2 to three tablespoons of sugar or in line with style.
5. Now add the grated or minced ginger. You may also crush the ginger after which add it. Select so as to add much less ginger if you would like.
6. Simmer for two to three minutes on a medium warmth.
7. Add the crushed cardamom powder.
8. Boil for 1 to 2 minutes extra.
9. Add 2 teaspoons of Assam tea powder or black tea powder. The tea used to make chai is within the type of granules and we name them tea powder.
Assam tea makes for a powerful brew. For a lighter brew add Darjeeling tea powder or your most well-liked tea.
10. Boil the tea on a medium warmth for 3 to 4 minutes or as wanted. For a extra stronger tea, you’ll be able to boil for some extra minutes.
We normally boil the tea after including the tea powder. You probably have used Darjeeling tea or any lighter model of tea powder or tea leaves then steep the tea within the scorching water for 3 to 4 minutes or as wanted.
For steeping add the tea leaves or your most well-liked tea and change off the warmth. Stir to combine and canopy the pan with a lid.
11. Pour ¼ to ½ cup of milk. When you like robust tea then add ¼ cup of milk. When you like extra milk then add ½ cup.
12. Proceed to simmer the tea for 1 to 2 minutes on medium warmth.
13. Change off the warmth, pressure the tea onto a mesh strainer saved above the serving glasses or cups.
14. Serve the slicing chai scorching together with some tea time snacks like nankhatai, pakora or samosa or murukku or sandwich or biscuits.
Few extra comparable recipes for you!
- Masala chai – Indian spiced tea made with complete spices.
- Ginger tea – heat, spiced Indian tea made with milk, ginger and cardamom.
- Mint tea – mild, fragrant and refreshing Indian type mint tea with milk.
- Herbal tea – Indian type natural tea constituted of herbs, ginger, cardamom and lemon grass.
- Filter coffee – simple to organize and in style South Indian filter espresso recipe in simply quarter-hour.
Please remember to charge this recipe within the recipe card beneath you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Mumbai slicing chai is a powerful tea made with Assam tea powder or black tea powder, milk, sugar and spices like ginger and cardamom.
Prep Time 2 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 17 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Getting ready Chopping Chai
Warmth water in a vessel or pan with a deal with or a saucepan.
Then add 2 to three tablespoons of sugar.
Now add the grated ginger. Simmer for two to three minutes on medium warmth.
Then add the crushed cardamom powder. Boil for 1 to 2 minutes extra.
Then add 2 teaspoons of Assam tea powder or black tea powder.
Brew the tea on medium warmth for 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour ¼ to ½ cup of milk. When you like robust tea then add ¼ cup of milk when you like extra milk then add ½ cup of milk.
Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or till the tea involves a boil on medium warmth.
Change off the warmth. Pressure the tea on a mesh strainer. Pour into glasses or cups.
Serve slicing chai scorching alongside together with your favourite tea time snacks.
- You can use retailer purchased cardamom powder as a substitute of do-it-yourself one.
- If ginger isn’t accessible then use dry ginger powder. Nonetheless, the flavour and aroma will change.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 46 Energy from Fats 9
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Ldl cholesterol 2mg1%
Vitamin A 33IU1%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 1µg0%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight loss plan.
This Chopping Chai put up from the archives first revealed in July 2016 has been republished and up to date on 28 June 2022.