Listed below are her recipes for sausage roll, royal trifle, purple, white and blue buttercream cookes and Union Jack cake that will help you have fun in mouth-watering fashion.
You can even stage your very personal Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Bake Off contest with buddies, household and neighbours…
Juliet’s Jubilee Bakes, from Could 16, ITV’s This Morning from 10am.
Sausage roll ( Serves 16-20)
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
100g dried white breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon contemporary chopped thyme
1 tablespoon contemporary chopped sage
1½ tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp white pepper ½ tsp salt
700g sausage meat (veggie or common)
1 x 500g block puff pastry
1 egg, overwhelmed
1. Preheat the oven to Fuel Mark 6, 180C fan, and line a big baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
2. Warmth the oil in a frying pan and gently soften the onion till translucent for about 12 minutes. Add the garlic and cook dinner for an additional couple of minutes. Permit to chill.
3. Place the breadcrumbs, thyme, sage, tomato paste and seasoning into a big bowl.
4. Add the cooked onion and garlic, stir properly to mix, then add the sausage meat to the crumb combination. Combine properly, utilizing your palms to mix every thing collectively.
5. On a calmly floured floor, roll out the pastry to a 30cm x 35cm rectangle and place on to the baking tray. Reduce away a size of pastry (roughly 4cm) to make use of for the letters. Put aside onto the floured floor whilst you assemble the sausage roll.
6. Place the sausage filling on to the floor subsequent to the pastry and make a sausage form that’s the size of the longest a part of the pastry, line up by eye to verify, then place this on to the pastry.
7. Place the sausage combination on one facet of the pastry – alongside the longer facet – leaving an area of about 5cm alongside the facet. Brush egg over the strip of pastry, then fold the remainder of the pastry over the filling and press gently over to seal, then seal the pastry edge by crimping and pinching small sections along with your thumb and finger. Should you like, you’ll be able to reduce the ends off with a serrated knife to neaten both facet.
8. Reduce out the lettering (I selected Jubilee 2022) utilizing letter cutters. Dipping the cutters in flour and utilizing a lolly stick with push the pastry out makes the job simpler.
9. Brush the sausage roll with egg wash. Connect the letters and gently glaze over with extra egg wash. If you need the letters to be even, use a bit of string as a information lined up in a straight line throughout the sausage roll. Connect the letters, adjusting as essential, then take away the string.
10. Bake for about 45-50 minutes till the pastry is crisp and darkish golden and the filling is totally cooked by way of.
11. Enhance utilizing sparklers, mini flags or no matter else you fancy!
Royal Trifle (Serves 18-22)
For the underside layer:
1 pint strawberry jelly
For the second layer:
Sponge – 1½-2 Swiss rolls (relying on measurement)
60-100ml Dubonnet or sherry (elective)
For the third layer:
100g custard powder
1 litre complete milk
60g caster sugar
12 massive strawberries reduce in half
For the fourth layer:
600ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g icing sugar
Plus sprinkles/biscuits for adornment
For the elective Royal biscuit topper:
200g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
375 plain flour, plus additional for dusting
Edible gold spray or glitter
Milk chocolate crisp sugar shells colored sweets or massive sprinkles
8.5cm fleur de lis template or biscuit cutter or any Royal themed form
1. Backside layer: Make up the jelly in accordance with packet directions and go away till cool however not set.
2. Pour into a big trifle dish and pile within the contemporary fruit. Depart to set within the fridge till agency.
3. Whereas the jelly units, if utilizing, make the biscuit toppers. Preheat the oven to Fuel Mark 6/180C fan.
4. Combine the butter, sugar and vanilla collectively till mixed however not creamed. Beat within the egg, then add within the flour and convey collectively till a dough is shaped. Calmly knead the dough then use additional plain flour to roll out the dough to about an 8mm thickness.
5. Fastidiously reduce round a template, or use a cutter and raise the biscuit on to a parchment lined baking tray. Maintain your palm calmly on the biscuit and push in a lolly stick about ¾ of the best way in, taking care to not spoil the form. You possibly can maintain the template again over this as soon as the stick is in and alter along with your fingertips if want be. You will want 8 or 9 biscuits for the trifle but it surely’s value making a couple of additional in case of breakages.
6. Bake for round Quarter-hour till agency and going golden. Depart to chill on the trays. As soon as cooled, beautify with gold shimmer mud and stick on the sweets or massive sprinkles to complete utilizing a bit royal icing or icing sugar blended with water to type a sticky paste and fix to the biscuits. Depart to dry. Put aside whilst you proceed making the trifle.
7. Make the custard in accordance with pack directions. Utilizing caster sugar will make a thick custard. Cowl the floor with baking paper whereas it cools a bit.
8. Second layer: Reduce the Swiss rolls into slices and slice in half. Layer the sponge with the jam facet in direction of the surface of the trifle dish in a neat layer. Fill within the centre of the dish too. Drizzle with alcohol if utilizing.
9. Third layer: Place the halved strawberries reduce facet outwards across the sponge layer and gently spoon the thick custard into the centre, pushing in direction of the facet of the dish to seal within the cake and maintain the strawberries towards the glass. Depart to chill within the fridge at this stage. Use a calmly oiled piece of clingfilm to cowl the highest.
10. Fourth layer: Whip the double cream, sugar and vanilla till it has become delicate peaks, then spoon around the bowl over the set custard. Enhance as proven within the image with sprinkles within the centre and the royal biscuit toppers, if utilizing.
Pink, white and blue buttercream cookies (Serves 50 chunk measurement biscuits)
For the cookies:
200g salted butter, softened
200g golden caster sugar
1 medium free-range egg
375g plain flour plus additional for dusting
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
For the buttercream:
250g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
500g icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract or bean paste
Meals colourings in royal blue and purple
1. Preheat the oven to Fuel Mark 5/ 170C fan.
2 Put the butter and sugar right into a mixing bowl. Add the vanilla extract or paste and blend collectively till simply mixed, not creamed. Beat the egg.
3. Tip in all of the flour and to combine till a clean and pliable dough is shaped. Tip out and provides it a fast knead.
4. Roll the dough out on a floured floor – use loads of flour to forestall sticking. Hold the dough even and about 6-7mm thick.
5. Reduce out the rounds and place on the tray leaving a bit room in between every one.
6. Bake for round 12-Quarter-hour till golden brown, agency and springy to the contact. Cool on a wire rack.
7. To make the buttercream, beat the butter and vanilla till creamy, then add within the icing sugar, beating properly till fluffy.
8. Divide into 3 and color one bowl blue and one bowl purple.
9. To create the tri-colour impact, spoon every color on to a bit of clingfilm and roll as much as make a protracted pointy sausage and put them collectively into the big piping. Squeeze the icing on to the cookies by holding the bag in a vertical place with the nozzle touching the cookie. Transfer in a round movement round every cookie, ranging from the surface edge, winding inwards and constructing top to create a peak.
Union Jack cake
YOU NEED :
For the sponge:
600g unsalted butter, softened
600g caster sugar
12 medium free vary eggs
600g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp fantastic sea salt
For the buttercream filling and piping:
400g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
800g icing sugar
3 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
For the filling:
300g strawberry or raspberry jam (elective)
Colouring the buttercream: You’ll have to tint a few of the icing for the flag. Hold abour 350g of it white and color 300g vibrant purple and 100g blue. Use gel meals colourings solely to color the icing. Vivid colors like royal blue will work properly.
To make the sponge:
1. Preheat the oven to Fuel Mark 5/170C fan.
2. Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla till very mild, pale and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one by one till all included.
4. Dry whisk the baking powder by way of the flour and fold into the moist combine in increments of three, ensuring it’s gently blended by way of.
5. Divide equally between every tin and utilizing a palette knife or comparable, stage the floor.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes or till golden and risen. A cake tester or skewer ought to come out clear from the center of the sponge when it’s cooked. Depart to chill for five minutes then end up on to a rack to chill utterly. In the meantime, make the buttercream.
7. Should you’re utilizing contemporary cream as a substitute of buttercream, it’s greatest to whip this as much as a delicate peak consistency simply earlier than topping and adorning.
TIP: If you need your sponge and frosting to look very white versus cream, use white vegetable fats as a substitute of the butter, or half and half. You could want so as to add a bit extra salt and vanilla to style.
To make the buttercream:
8. Add 1/3 of the icing sugar and butter
to a stand mixer bowl or combine with an electrical whisk or by hand. Combine collectively on a sluggish setting till all the sugar is mixed into the butter, then add the vanilla.
9. Beat on a medium velocity for a minute or so till clean, then add the remaining sugar in two elements in the identical manner. Beat till pale, fluffy and delicate. Put aside 450g of the buttercream for the filling.
10. Place the primary layer of cake on to a big rectangle board, tray or serving platter and unfold over with the jam (if utilizing) and the reserved 450g of buttercream for the filling (or high with whipped double cream, relying on desire). Unfold over the complete cake, leaving a bit border across the fringe of the cake so the buttercream or cream doesn’t spill out when inserting the second cake on high.
11. Add the second layer of cake to sandwich the filling. It’s greatest to show the sponge the wrong way up and have the graceful facet that was within the base of the tin uppermost, it gives you a neater end.
12. Now is an efficient time to check out an image of a Union Jack flag to comply with the design (it helped me).
13. Unfold over the remaining white buttercream (flag design portions) thinly to cowl the highest of the cake. Mark midway lengthways and horizontally to offer you a central cross to base the flag piping from. Start by piping two equal-sized blobs of purple both facet of the mark and persevering with alongside to construct up the traces to offer you a large purple flag design throughout each methods.
14. Now pipe up towards the sting of this purple cross with the white buttercream in neat blobs to stipulate all of it the best way up and down.
15. Pipe with the purple blobs from every nook to fulfill the centre of the cross.
16. Pipe white blobs a bit smaller through the use of much less strain up towards these 4 purple traces to border them.
17. Lastly utilizing little blobs, fill the remaining sponge space blue to finish the design.
18. Serve and luxuriate in!