Earlier than extolling the delights of Hancock County within the second installment of “Prime causes to go to the Mississippi Gulf Coast,” I’d be remiss if I neglected the charming cities of Lengthy Seashore and Cross Christian. They’re value a cease on U.S. 90 as you make your approach to the Bay Bridge to enter Bay St. Louis.
I’m in all probability going to obtain irate emails from the opposite cities about this subsequent assertion, however right here goes: In my view, the 2 neighboring cities of Lengthy Seashore and “The Cross,” as locals calls it, supply among the greatest seashore views on the Gulf Coast.
Sweeping vistas of sand, sky and water alongside this scenic stretch of freeway are mesmerizing, particularly when a vibrant blue sky transforms the gulf to an identical hue.
Stopping in for a Coast-inspired meal on the patio of Lengthy Seashore’s Harbor View Café is the right approach to benefit from the view. Or, drive somewhat additional to The Cross and chill out on Shaggy’s open-air deck with panoramic water views and the assure of a scrumptious meal.
Prepared for extra sight-seeing and eating? Journey over the Bay Bridge and your blood stress is bound to plummet as you view the shimmering bay on both facet. The bridge was rebuilt post-Katrina at 85 ft above the bay at its highest level, so the view is completely gorgeous. In the event you’re feeling adventurous, park your automobile at both finish and journey throughout the bridge within the enclosed strolling/biking path.
As soon as on dry land, take a left onto scenic Seashore Boulevard. On one facet of the quaint road is the bay fronted with a brand new harbor. On the opposite are family-owned eating places serving recent seafood and different inventive dishes. Listed here are only a few of my favourite eating places and issues to see and do within the Bay:
1. Considered one of my favourite eating places is Trapani’s. A neighborhood favourite for many years, all the pieces on the menu is scrumptious, however my favourite menu merchandise is the overflowing shrimp po’boy.
2. Subsequent door is 200 North Seashore. It’s a comfortable, family-oriented area providing pasta dishes, steaks and seafood.
3. Holding courtroom on the nook of The Pearl, a brand new boutique resort on the nook of Predominant Road and Seashore Boulevard is The Thorny Oyster. It’s a spacious, well-appointed restaurant providing recent, native, coastal fare, inventive seafood and traditional dishes and desserts ready with a contemporary twist.
It’s uncommon that I dream a few dessert merchandise, however that’s precisely what occurred final summer season after I dined right here. I ended my meal with probably the greatest berry crisps I’ve ever tasted. Recent peach and blueberry fruit filling was topped with a scrumptious crunchy, buttery rolled oats and toasted nuts topping that just about outshone the filling. A scoop of selfmade vanilla bean ice cream took it to new heights. I’m lengthy overdue for a repeat of this chic expertise.
4. Don’t depart city with out a go to to charming Previous City. Situated just a few blocks from the bay, the tree-lined streets are full of the historic Depot museum, locally-owned outlets and eating places and a scenic park with a duck pond.
5. No journey to The Bay could be full with out a cease by the Angel Tree. It’s situated on the seashore facet close to the brand new harbor. I’ve witnessed emotional responses from vacationers from all over the world to the oak tree carved into the likeness of angels, full with hovering wings and piercing eyes. When Katrina’s eye handed over Bay St. Louis, three folks and a small canine had been driving out the storm in a close-by constructing. Because the storm surge elevated, they fled from the constructing and climbed an oak tree. The centuries-old oak served because the group’s lifeline for 4 hours. Due to the tree’s sturdy branches, they had been unhurt when the water subsided.
The stays of the oak had been moved to the beachfront and secured in concrete only a few hundred ft from the place it saved the lives of three folks and a canine. A chainsaw artist created magnificence from ashes, expertly carving an angel and huge birds retaining watch on the limbs. Cease by the Angel Tree for a photograph, prayer or a glimpse of a life-saving tree. Like a go to to The Bay, it’s an expertise you’ll always remember.
Kara Kimbrough is a meals and journey author from Mississippi. E mail her at [email protected]