THE beauty of hen is that it’s so versatile and scrumptious when mixed with daring flavours. Let’s begin this week by first my crispy tandoori spiced hen wings. It is a fusion recipe from one of many cookery programs at Dunbrody Home, the place my cooks educate each week. I take advantage of tandoori paste to boost the flavour of the wings however you can use balti or Chinese language curry paste in its place. For the coating we have now a easy secret — baking powder. When cooking within the oven, the baking powder will assist make the wings crispier and crunchier, which solely makes them even tastier. Subsequent we have now the hen katsu curry.For this I all the time recommend utilizing butterflied hen which cuts down on the cooking time. The mix of rice, hen and coconut curry sauce is divine. You probably have an air fryer then this recipe is right for you because the air fryer will will let you create crispy hen items very quickly.The one drawback to an air fryer is area, so you will have to prepare dinner them in batches and hold the cooked ones within the oven at 70C. Don’t overlook so as to add some contemporary cucumber when serving for much more flavour. Completely satisfied cooking, Kevin
Hen Katsu Curry
Components (serves 4)
FOR THE CURRY SAUCE:
■ 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
■ 1 onion, chopped
■ 2 garlic cloves, crushed
■ 1 carrot, thinly sliced
■ 2cm ginger, peeled and grated
■ 2 tbsp gentle curry powder
■ 1 tsp floor turmeric
■ 400ml coconut milk
■ 1 tsp honey
FOR THE KATSU:
■ 4 skinless hen breasts
■ 50g plain flour
■ 2 tbsp soy sauce
■ 1 tbsp water
■ 2 egg yolks, evenly overwhelmed
■ 100g breadcrumbs
■ Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
■ 200g basmati rice, boiled
■ 1 cucumber, lower into ribbons
■ 4 tbsp contemporary coriander leaves
■ 1 lime, lower into wedges
■ 4 tsp peanut rayu (non-compulsory)
1. First, make the curry sauce. Warmth the rapeseed oil in a saucepan, sauté the onion, garlic and carrot for about eight minutes till comfortable and evenly caramelised.
2. Add the ginger and prepare dinner for an additional 30 seconds. Take away from the warmth then stir within the curry powder and turmeric.
3. Fold within the coconut milk and honey and sseason properly. Cowl and simmer over a low warmth for 5-8 minutes.
4. Within the meantime, for the katsu, combine the flour with a tbsp of water and the soy sauce in a big bowl to create a lightweight coating batter.
5. In a second bowl, beat the egg yolks and place the breadcrumbs in a 3rd bowl. Dip the hen items within the flour combination, then the egg combination, and, lastly, within the breadcrumbs, turning till properly coated.
6. Pre-heat a deep fats fryer to 180C. Place the hen within the fryer for 4-6 minutes or till cooked by. Alternatively, pre-heat an air fryer and spray the hen with oil and prepare dinner within the air fryer for 10 minutes till cooked by.
7. Take away the hen from the oil or air fryer. Place onto a board and carve into items.
8. Place some boiled rice in serving bowls, add some curry sauce and prime with the katsu hen.
9. Serve with cucumber ribbons, coriander leaves, lime wedges and a few peanut rayu, if utilizing.
Crispy Tandoori Spiced Hen Wings
Components (serves 8):
■ 20 hen wings
■ 200ml pure yogurt
■ 2 tbsp tandoori paste
■ 120g wholemeal flour
■ 1 tsp baking powder
■ 50g breadcrumbs
■ 2 tsp garlic salt
■ 2 tsp black pepper
■ ½ tsp chilli flakes
■ 50g butter, melted
■ 1 tbsp contemporary coriander leaves
1. Pre-heat oven to 200C.
2. Put the wings, pure yogurt and tandoori paste right into a bowl. Toss to mix, cowl with cling movie and put aside within the fridge to marinate for half-hour or in a single day.
3. In a second bowl, mix the flour, breadcrumbs, baking powder, 1 tsp garlic salt, black pepper and chilli flakes.
4. Switch the hen wings with out an
extreme quantity of the yogurt coating
the wings into the flour combination. Toss to mix.
5. Line a big baking tray with parchment paper and brush with a few of the melted butter.
6. Add the coated hen wings to the baking tray and drizzle the leftover butter over the wings.
7. Place within the oven for 40-45 minutes, turning the wings twice till crispy and cooked by.
8. Take away from the oven and season with the remaining garlic salt.
9. Sprinkle the crispy wings with coriander leaves and serve with blue cheese dip (see prime tip).
TOP TIP: CHEESY DOES IT WITH THIS TASTY SAUCE TO MAKE CRISPY WINGS SOAR
My go to dip with any crispy hen is ready with blue cheese. Blue cheese resembling Cashel blue cheese are scrumptious mixed with crème fraiche or cream cheese and even mascarpone.
Do that recipe, it should tempt everybody. Mix 100g of blue cheese with 1 uncooked shallot lower into very small dices. Add the crème fraiche and a zest of lemon. Sufficient to assist steadiness the flavour. stir in some finely chopped chives and set it apart till wanted.