Tomato pulao is a one pot scrumptious tangy spicy pilaf made with rice, tomatoes, combine veggies, herbs and spices. That is a simple and attractive tomato pilaf made in a stovetop stress cooker and will be simply made in a pan or On the spot pot. You can also make this recipe with out the blended veggies and it’ll nonetheless style good.
I make this tomato pulao on events after I wish to make a hearty tomato based mostly rice dish with combine greens.
Tomato pulao because the identify suggests has extra tomatoes added to it and is a hero ingredient on this dish. Thus there’s a good tangy tasty that you simply get within the dish. I make this pulao in the same approach, I make the South Indian Mushroom Biryani.
To make the pulao extra nutritious, I’ve additionally added some blended veggies along with the tomatoes.
I do add veggies after I wish to use all of the leftover veggies from the fridge. However you may also make this tomato pulao minus the blended veggies. This can be a barely spicy model. Do scale back the inexperienced chilies, black pepper and crimson chili powder for a frivolously spiced style.
Vegetable pulao is a type of dishes which assist me in making fast meals when I’ve much less time readily available. All I’ve to do is to make the Pulao after which pair it with raita, yogurt or a fast veggie salad.
Tomato is certainly one of my favourite components to be added to recipes. I embody it in many of the dishes that I make. For those who like tomatoes then do verify the next recipes:
Serve tomato pulao scorching or heat garnished with coriander leaves. Accompany plain yogurt, raita or a veggie salad by the aspect.
Easy methods to make Tomato Pulao
1. Rinse 1 cup of rice very nicely in water after which soak the grains in water for 20 to half-hour. You need to use basmati rice or any common rice for the pulao. I used the Indian number of surti kolam rice.
2. After 20 to half-hour drain the water from the rice and hold them apart.
3. When the rice is soaking, prep the veggies and hold them apart. Additionally crush (½ inch ginger + 3 to 4 garlic cloves + 1 to 2 inexperienced chilies) to a semi wonderful paste in a mortar-pestle. It’s also possible to use a small chutney grinder to make this paste.
Making tomato pilaf
4. Warmth 2 tablespoons of any impartial flavored oil or ghee in a 2 litre stovetop stress cooker. Add the next entire spices and fry them for a number of seconds until they develop into aromatic.
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 inexperienced cardamoms
- 1 small star anise
- 1 tejpatta or Indian bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
It’s also possible to add about 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds and eight to 10 curry leaves whereas frying the entire garam masala.
5. Then add ⅓ cup finely chopped onions.
6. Stir and saute the onions stirring typically until they develop into mild golden on low to medium low warmth.
7. Add the crushed ginger+garlic+inexperienced chili paste together with 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves and 1 teaspoon of chopped mint leaves.
8. Stir and saute for some seconds or until the uncooked aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
9. Then add ¾ cup tightly packed finely chopped tomatoes.
10. Stir and saute stirring typically until the tomatoes develop into pulpy and soften.
11. Now add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder and ¼ teaspoon black pepper or crushed black pepper. Stir and blend once more.
12. Add the veggies – about ¾ to 1 cup chopped combine greens. You possibly can add greens like peas, snow peas, carrots, french beans, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli and mushrooms. The addition of veggies can also be optionally available.
13. Stir and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
14. Then add the rice. Stir and saute for a minute.
Cooking Tomato Pulao
15. Pour 1.75 cups water. It’s also possible to make this pulao in a pot or pan. Simply add 2 to 2.5 cups of water if making tomato pulao in a pan.
16. Season with salt as required. Stir and blend very nicely. Stress prepare dinner pulao on medium warmth for about 10 to 12 minutes or for two to three whistles.
17. Let the stress quiet down by itself. Then solely take away the rid and gently fluff the rice.
18. Serve Tomato Pilaf garnished with 1 to 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves. Accompany plain yogurt, raita or a veggie salad by the aspect.
This pulao style finest when eaten freshly cooked scorching or heat.
Extra scrumptious rice recipes
- Biryani – an genuine dum cooked vegetable biryani.
- Capsicum rice – simple, fast and scrumptious one-pot capsicum pulao.
- Peas pulao – fragrant and attractive inexperienced peas pulao.
- Pudina rice – spicy and attractive one-pot aromatic mint rice.
For those who made this recipe, please make sure you price it within the recipe card beneath. Sign Up for my electronic mail e-newsletter or you may comply with me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspirations.
Tomato pulao is a one pot scrumptious tangy spicy pilaf made with rice, tomatoes, combine veggies, herbs and spices.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 50 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
This Tomato Pulao put up from the archives (April 2015) has been republished and up to date on 27 September 2021.