Right here’s a dish that’s the South Indian variant of the North Indian suji ka halwa. Meet Kesari Recipe – a preferred, scrumptious South Indian candy dish made with rava or suji (cream of wheat or semolina), sugar, ghee (clarified butter), saffron, nuts and dry fruits. This melt-in-mouth, orange coloured preparation can be known as Rava Kesari Recipe. Make this decadent candy deal with with my easy recipe that I’ve shared with step-by-step photos and video.
About Kesari Recipe
Kesari is a pudding like candy that’s good to take a look at as it’s to eat. To make this scrumptious candy dish the rava is roasted/toasted in ghee till the advantageous rava granules grow to be aromatic and alter colour.
Later a effervescent scorching sugar syrup is added to the properly roasted rava and this combination is cooked additional till it thickens and all of the water has been absorbed. Lastly inexperienced cardamom powder and fried cashews, raisins are added for extra flavors.
Kesari Recipe is frequent throughout festivals in addition to poojas, auspicious events or another celebrations in South India. It’s also made and provided to the deities in lots of temples in South India.
In Hindi, ‘rava’ is called ‘sooji’ and in English, it is called ‘semolina or cream of wheat.’ The phrase ‘kesari’ means an orange or yellow colour and in some situations additionally means ‘saffron’ that’s ‘kesar’ in Hindi. So, mainly Rava Kesari Recipe is an orange hued dessert of semolina pudding flavored with saffron.
So, the primary elements on this Kesari Recipe are rava, ghee, sugar, water and saffron or orange meals colour. The recipe is sort of easy, in the event you comply with it properly and won’t provide you with sleepless nights too!
Rava Kesari vs Suji Halwa
Like I discussed at first, the North Indian counterpart of Kesari Recipe is Suji Ka Halwa, an equally fashionable and delectable dessert. In Maharashtra and Gujarat, this identical dish is named as sheera.
Nevertheless, there are some extra variations within the preparations of sooji halwa, sheera and Rava Kesari recipe. The distinction between this Kesari Recipe and suji halwa or sheera is majorly the colour.
Sheera and suji halwa are usually not yellow or orange coloured. Additionally, extra amount of ghee and sugar are used within the South Indian model Rava Kesari Recipe as in comparison with sooji halwa or sheera.
In Karnataka, Kesari Recipe variant is named as Kesari Tub. For breakfast, each Khara Bath (uppittu or upma) and Kesari Bath are served collectively. This can be a well-known mixture known as as Chow Chow Bath there.
About My Recipe
Like I mentioned earlier, Kesari Recipe has a typical orange colour. Normally, artificial orange meals colour is added in it. Since I don’t use any artificial colours in meals, I exploit saffron and a pure orange colour extract to herald the orange hue. Do not forget that the addition of solely saffron will give yellow tones and never orange.
Along with the colour, saffron offers a pleasant taste and aroma as properly within the Kesari Recipe. If you need orange tones, then add orange meals colour. I recommend utilizing a pure orange colour or pure yellow colour extract.
Addition of ghee and sugar can all the time be minimized in my Kesari Recipe, while you’re making it at house. On this recipe, I’ve added barely much less portions of each ghee and sugar. However be happy so as to add extra sugar or ghee in response to your preferences.
I typically put together this conventional candy as naivedyam for the deities or throughout Indian festivals like Ganesh Chaturthi, Navratri, Janmashtami, Ugadi and Diwali.
Find out how to make Kesari Recipe
Fry Cashews and Raisins
1. In a heavy kadai or a thick bottomed frying pan, take 6 tablespoons ghee.
2. Warmth ghee on medium-low warmth until it melts fully.
3. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons cashews.
4. Start to fry cashews, stirring them typically.
5. Fry cashews until golden. Take away with a slotted spoon and preserve apart on kitchen paper towel or in a plate.
6. Subsequent, add 1 tablespoon raisins within the scorching ghee.
7. Stirring constantly, fry the raisins.
8. The raisins will grow to be plump and swell.
9. As quickly because the raisins grow to be plump, take away them and preserve apart together with the fried cashews.
10. Scale back warmth to low and add 1 cup (160 grams) advantageous rava to the ghee.
11. Mix and blend the rava with the ghee.
12. Start to roast rava on low to medium-low warmth. Stir typically in order that rava roasts evenly.
13. Stir continuously, whereas roasting rava, for even cooking.
14. The colour of the rava shouldn’t grow to be brown. Roasting rava takes about 9 to 11 minutes on low to medium-low warmth.
Timing will range with the kind and make of the kadai or pan and the warmth depth.
15. Roast until you possibly can see the ghee getting separated and the colour of rava can even change. A pleasant aroma can even emanate from the roasted rava.
Make Sugar Syrup
16. Whenever you start to roast rava, at the moment, take ¾ cup (190 to 200 grams) sugar in a saucepan. The sugar syrup must be cooked concurrently whereas roasting rava.
17. Add 2 to three pinches of saffron strands.
18. Add 2.5 cups water. Optionally, you may also add a pure yellow or orange colour extract. I added 2 drops of pure orange colour extract.
19. Preserve the pan on stovetop and on medium to medium-high flame, start to warmth the sugar resolution.
20. Whenever you preserve the pan on the stovetop for heating, at the moment, stir with a spoon so that each one the sugar is dissolved.
21. Deliver this sugar syrup to a rolling boil.
In case the sugar syrup has come to a boil, however rava has not but roasted, then scale back the warmth to low and simmer the sugar syrup for a few minutes. In order that it stays scorching.
Nevertheless, don’t simmer for a very long time as then the sugar consistency will change and the syrup can grow to be sticky or have the sugar thread consistencies.
Make Kesari Recipe
22. By the point the sugar syrup begins boiling, the rava can even get roasted properly.
23. Decrease the warmth and thoroughly pour the ready sugar syrup within the scorching ghee-rava combination in a gradual and sluggish stream.
24. Take care whereas pouring because the combination splutters.
On this Kesari Recipe, lumps are usually not shaped as the amount of water is extra. In case if lumps kind, then simply break them with the spatula or spoon.
25. Stir and blend very properly. Break lumps, if any, whereas mixing.
26. Prepare dinner the combination on low to medium-low warmth, stirring typically.
27. The rava will take up the water and swell and the combination will start to thicken. It will likely be mushy and moist and the consistency might be like that of easy pudding.
28. When the combination begins thickening, add the fried cashews and raisins, reserving just a few for garnishing.
29. Additionally, add ½ teaspoon inexperienced cardamom powder.
At this step, you may also add a pinch of edible camphor, in order for you.
30. Combine very properly.
31. Stir until the combination releases some ghee and the rava has absorbed all of the water and cooked properly.
Additionally, you shouldn’t see any whitish or creamish tiny specks on the rava. In case you see, then because of this the rava continues to be not cooked properly.
32. Flip off the warmth and canopy the pan for five minutes, simply to permit the Kesari to steam.
33. After 5 minutes, take away the lid and provides a stir.
If you wish to make slices, then instantly pour the Rava Kesari in a metal pan or tray. Unfold evenly and when heat or cooled, minimize into diamond-shaped or sq. slices.
34. Serve Rava Kesari scorching or heat. Garnish with the reserved fried cashews and raisins, whereas serving. You can too serve it as a candy dish.
Serving Ideas and Storage
You possibly can put together the Rava Kesari Recipe and relish it scorching or heat. Garnish with just a few of the reserved fried cashews and raisins, whereas serving.
It may also be served as a candy dish. You possibly can eat it as-is, with none sides. Retailer leftovers in a lined container within the fridge for 1 to 2 days.
Reheat in a skillet or frying pan by gently sautéing it or steam for a couple of minutes in a pan including water as wanted.
Utilizing the fundamental Kesari Recipe, many variations are attainable. Add milk and also you get the beautiful milk kesari. Embrace combined fruits or only one sort of fruit and also you get a pleasant fruity flavored model. Some extra experiments that may be carried out with this base recipe are:
- Pineapple Kesari: A delish model made with chopped contemporary pineapples. The pineapple offers a pleasant candy tangy chew within the dish.
- Mango Kesari: In the course of the mango season, you possibly can attempt a model made with candy or ripe mangoes.
- Semiya Kesari: This variant is exclusive as it’s made with semiya or vermicelli. Thus, because of the addition of vermicelli, the feel and style may be very completely different.
- Kind of rava: Use advantageous rava like Bombay rava or chiroti rava for a melt-in-mouth texture. In case you stay outdoors India, search for cream of wheat or advantageous semolina. You can too purchase the rava or sooji on-line, or decide to make use of packaged roasted rava. Be sure that the rava is roasted properly. Generally, readymade roasted rava shouldn’t be correctly roasted.
- Roasting rava: Keep in mind to roast the rava very properly. This step is essential as a result of if not carried out properly, you’ll not get the right texture within the dish. There can even be a slight uncooked style. Stir continuously whereas roasting rava, for even cooking. The rava will launch ghee as soon as it’s roasted properly and have a pleasant toasted perfume too.
- Liquids: You need to use milk as an alternative of water. This makes the dish richer. Use identical amount of milk as the amount of water talked about within the recipe. You can too add equal proportions of water and milk.
- Including liquids: When including the sugar resolution to the new rava-ghee combination, guarantee that the sugar resolution is effervescent scorching. So, you need to prepare dinner them concurrently. Add the sugar resolution slowly and thoroughly because the rava combination splutters.
- Proportion: To get a mushy, good texture dish, the proportion of rice and water for use is 1:2.5 for each rava and water, respectively. You possibly can even add 3 cups water, which provides a barely moist dish. In case your rava is coarser then additionally add 3 cups water.
- Nuts: The amount of nuts and dry fruits may be diversified and may be of your alternative. However historically, cashews and raisins are added.
- Vegan possibility: To make this recipe vegan, exchange the ghee with a impartial flavored oil.
Please make sure to charge the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under when you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Kesari Recipe | Excellent Rava Kesari Recipe
Rava Kesari is a well-liked South Indian pudding like candy that’s made with rava or suji (semolina), ghee, cashews, raisins, sugar, water and saffron. This Kesari recipe offers you a very scrumptious soften within the mouth candy that may be made in much less time.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Complete Time 25 minutes
For frying cashews, raisins and rava
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Frying cashews and raisins
In a heavy kadai or a thick bottomed pan take 6 tablespoons ghee. Warmth ghee on a medium-low flame until it melts fully.
Add the cashews.
Start to fry cashews stirring them typically until they grow to be golden. Take away with a slotted spoon and preserve fried cashews apart.
Subsequent add the raisins to the new ghee.
Stirring continuous fry the raisins until they grow to be plump and swell.
Take away them and preserve apart with the fried cashews.
Now scale back warmth to a low and add the advantageous rava to the ghee. Combine properly.
Start to roast rava on a low to medium-low warmth.
Stir continuously whereas roasting rava for even cooking.
Roast until you possibly can see the ghee getting separated and the colour of rava can even change. A pleasant aroma can even emanate from the roasted rava.
The colour of the rava shouldn’t grow to be brown.
Roasting rava takes about 9 to 11 minutes on low to medium-low warmth. However do word that the timing will range with the kind and make of the kadai or pan and the warmth depth.
Making sugar syrup
Whenever you start to roast rava, at the moment take the sugar in a saucepan. I added ¾ cup sugar.
Add 2 to three pinches of saffron strands. You can too add a pure yellow or orange colour extract. I additionally added 2 drops of pure orange colour extract.
Add 2.5 cups water.
Preserve the pan on stovetop and on a medium to medium-high flame start to warmth the sugar resolution.
Whenever you preserve the pan on the stove-top for heating, at the moment stir with a spoon so that each one the sugar is dissolved.
Deliver this sugar resolution to a rolling boil.
Making rava kesari
By the point the sugar resolution begins boiling, the rava can even get roasted properly.
Decrease the warmth and now rigorously pour the sugar-saffron resolution within the properly roasted ghee-rava combination in a gradual stream and slowly.
Take care whereas pouring because the combination splutters.
Stir and blend very properly. Break lumps, if any whereas mixing.
Prepare dinner rava kesari combination on a low to medium-low warmth stirring typically.
The rava or sooji will take up the water and swell and the combination will start to thicken.
When the combination begins thickening, add the fried cashews and raisins reserving just a few for garnish.
Additionally add the inexperienced cardamom powder. At this step you may also add a pinch of edible camphor in order for you. Combine very properly.
Stir until the combination releases some ghee and the rava has absorbed all of the water and cooked properly.
Then flip off the warmth and canopy the pan for five minutes simply to permit the rava kesari to steam.
- After 5 minutes, take away the lid. Stir rava kesari. If you wish to make slices, then instantly pour it in a metal pan or tray. Unfold evenly and when heat or cooled, minimize into diamond formed or sq. slices.
Serve rava kesari scorching or heat. You can too serve it as a facet candy dish with a South Indian lunch or dinner.
- You possibly can add just a few tablespoons of extra ghee or sugar in order for you within the rava kesari.
- Keep in mind to roast the rava very properly to get one of the best texture within the dish.
- You may make a small batch of this recipe or scale it to feed a crowd.
- As an alternative of water you need to use milk or equal proportions of each water and milk. Milk offers a richer style to the kesari.
- In case you use a coarser textured rava, add 3 cups of water. Additionally to make the candy extra moist and pudding like, you possibly can decide so as to add 3 cups of water when utilizing the finer textured rava.
- For a vegan kesari recipe, use a impartial tasting oil instead of ghee.
- You possibly can range the quantity of nuts. Historically solely cashews and raisins are added. However be happy so as to add nuts that you just like.
Kesari Recipe | Excellent Rava Kesari Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 368 Energy from Fats 153
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 10g63%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 6g
Ldl cholesterol 38mg13%
Vitamin A 2IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.2mg12%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin C 0.4mg0%
Vitamin E 0.1mg1%
Vitamin Ok 2µg2%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 53µg13%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Rava Kesari recipe from the archives first revealed in September 2013 has been republished and up to date on March 2023.