This put up has a recipe of the nutritious Milk Masala Powder that was made at residence throughout my rising up years. Made with many nuts and flavoring spices, this mix is just not solely wholesome however good for everybody. With this easy, no-frills recipe, even you may make this home made Masala Dudh Powder in bulk and use it every time required.
What’s Milk Masala Powder
‘Masala’ means a ‘spice mix’ or a ‘combination of spices.’ ‘Milk powder’ as on this recipe, means a ‘floor powdered type of nuts and spices’ which is added to exploit to taste it.
This aromatic nuts and spice mix may also be added to plant based mostly milks like almond milk or cashew milk. Personally, I don’t just like the style of plain soy milk. So, I’m not suggesting it. However you possibly can positively attempt with soy milk.
It’s also possible to add a couple of teaspoons of the Milk Masala Powder to varied Indian sweets like Phirni, Kheer, Gulab Jamun, Suji Halwa and the likes. This may solely improve the flavour and richness of those conventional Indian sweets.
Other than including to sweets, I normally make a beverage by including this aromatic mix of Masala Dudh Powder to scorching milk.
Simply add a 2 to three teaspoons of this nut-spice powder in a glass of milk (dairy or vegan). Add sugar or every other sweetener you favor. Stir and sip on.
You possibly can skip the sugar too. Keep away from including honey. As per Ayurveda, honey turns into poisonous when heated. Therefore, shouldn’t be added to scorching drinks. If not heating up the milk and serving chilled or at room temperature, then you possibly can add honey.
One glass of scorching milk with the Milk Masala Powder within the evening additionally aids in getting sound sleep. The spice nutmeg within the powder calms, relaxes and helps in getting sleep.
With all of the nuts and spices in it, this Masala Dudh Powder makes for a superb milk-based beverage, for each children and adults alike.
About My Recipe
Once we had been at school, mother would give me Turmeric Milk within the morning and a chilly or heat masala milk (relying on the season) within the evenings or nights.
Nicely, milk was fairly a compulsory for my household. We had been by no means uncovered to tea or espresso. Though, an occasional sip of Tea or Coffee was allowed after we would exit to dine at eating places.
As a household, we’ve got tried each home made in addition to store-brought Milk Masala Powder. I might at all times give a thumbs as much as the home made one. This recipe is once more a household recipe, with a couple of variations of my very own so as to add a extra healthful contact.
Along with the nuts (almonds, cashews and pistachios), what I even have added on this Masala Dudh Powder are pumpkin seeds and dried rose petals. These will not be important and you may skip them.
The aromatic spices added are cardamom, black pepper, nutmeg, turmeric and saffron. I’ve additionally included fennel seeds that are good for digestion. However once more, you possibly can skip it.
Saffron is pricey. So, as an alternative of saffron, you possibly can improve the amount of turmeric powder. I’ve talked about the main points within the notes part of the recipe card beneath.
The turmeric powder offers a pleasant faint yellow colour and is sweet for the physique too. If saved within the fridge, the shelf lifetime of this masala powder is about 1 to 2 months. It’s also possible to retailer within the freezer to extend the shelf life.
Learn how to make Milk Masala Powder
1. Warmth a pan and add the nuts and seeds:
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup pistachios
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
Dry roast for 3 to 4 minutes on low warmth. Take away and hold apart on a plate or tray.
Use recent nuts to make the milk powder. Keep away from utilizing nuts whose shelf life has expired or nuts which have gone rancid.
2. In the identical pan, add ½ teaspoon saffron strands (kesar).
3. Stir until the colour of the saffron modifications to a darker shade. Take away and hold apart.
4. Grate the nutmeg (jaiphal) and hold apart. Measure and take about 3.5 teaspoons of grated nutmeg or nutmeg powder.
Make Milk Masala Powder
5. As soon as the nuts cool, add them in a mixer-grinder jar or spice grinder together with the components listed beneath:
- 3.5 teaspoons of grated nutmeg
- ½ to 1 tablespoon dried rose petals
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
- seeds from 20 grams inexperienced cardamom
- 5 tablespoons sugar
When you have a small dry grinder jar, then you’ll have to grind in batches. Take away the husks of the inexperienced cardamoms and add solely the seeds.
6. Grind to a advantageous powder. Whereas grinding, grind briefly spurts and never at a stretch, in order that you don’t find yourself making a flavored blended nut butter from the assorted nuts.
7. Take away the Masala Dudh Powder and hold in an air-tight container or jar. Retailer within the fridge, because the nuts could get rancid.
The recipe yields a medium jar of Milk Masala Powder. If saved within the fridge, then shelf lifetime of this powder is about 1 to 2 months. It’s also possible to freeze it.
8. To serve, dissolve 2 to three teaspoons of Milk Masala Powder in a glass of scorching milk or chilled milk. Add sugar if required. Stir and serve.
- If skipping saffron, add an total ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder in whole.
- In case you determine to not add the pumpkin and melon seeds too, then, the next spices must be lowered in amount – 14 to fifteen inexperienced cardamoms, ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns, ½ teaspoon fennel seeds (non-compulsory), 2 to 2.5 teaspoons nutmeg (grated or powdered), ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Ensure that to make use of recent nuts and the edible seeds which are of their shelf life and haven’t turned rancid.
- Whereas grinding the components, guarantee eradicating the cardamom husks and use solely the seeds.
- This milk spice mix stays good within the fridge for about 1 to 2 months.
- For a dairy free or vegan model, use almond milk or soy milk. If utilizing soy milk, then use natural and Non-GMO soy milk.
Extra Related Recipes To Strive!
Please you’ll want to price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark beneath in case you have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Milk Masala Powder | Masala Dudh Powder
Milk Masala Powder is a aromatic wholesome combine or mix that’s added to taste milk. This wholesome mix is made with nuts, rose petals and some aromatic spices.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Whole Time 10 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Warmth a heavy frying pan or skillet and add these components – almonds, pistachios, cashews, pumpkin seeds/melon seeds.
Dry roast for 3 to 4 minutes on a low warmth stirring usually till calmly toasted.
Take away and hold apart in a plate or tray. Use recent nuts and never those whose shelf life has expired.
In the identical pan, add the saffron strands.
Maintaining warmth to a low, stir and roast for greater than half a minute, until the colour of the saffron modifications to a darker shade. Take away and hold apart.
Grate the nutmeg and hold apart.
As soon as the nuts calm down, then add every part in a dry grinder jar, together with rose petals, fennel, black pepper, turmeric powder, cardamom seeds and sugar.
When you have a small dry grinder jar, then you’ll have to grind in batches. Grind to a advantageous powder. Grind briefly spurts and never at a stretch.
Take away the Milk Masala Powder and hold in an hermetic container or jar. Retailer within the fridge or freezer, because the nuts could get rancid.
The recipe yields a medium jar of milk powder.
To serve, dissolve 2 to three teaspoons of the Milk Masala Powder in a glass of scorching milk or chilled milk. Add sugar as required. Stir and serve the flavored milk.
- If you wish to skip saffron and add turmeric powder, then simply add an total quantity of ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- It’s also possible to skip including turmeric powder, should you choose.
- If not including pumpkin/melon seeds, then scale back the amount of following spices to:
Inexperienced cardamoms – 14 to fifteen
Black pepper – ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon
Fennel seeds – ½ teaspoon, non-compulsory
Grated or powdered nutmeg – 2 to 2.5 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon, non-compulsory
- If saved in fridge, then shelf lifetime of this milk masala powder is about 1 to 2 months. It’s also possible to retailer it within the freezer.
- For a dairy free model, use almond milk or soy milk. If utilizing soy milk, then use natural and Non GMO soy milk.
- Notice that the approximate diet information is for the whole lot of the mix made with this recipe.
Milk Masala Powder | Masala Dudh Powder
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 1713 Energy from Fats 1017
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 16g100%
Trans Fats 0.03g
Polyunsaturated Fats 29g
Monounsaturated Fats 59g
Vitamin A 181IU4%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 6mg30%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 12mg15%
Vitamin E 21mg140%
Vitamin Okay 34µg32%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 103µg26%
* % Each day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.
This Milk Masala Powder recipe from the archives first revealed in August 2014 has been up to date and republished on January 2023.