A foolproof recipe for the softest, most tender and scrumptious Complete Wheat Bread that’s straightforward to make with my step-by-step photographs and secret (however tremendous easy!) ingredient. I’m certain you’ll love this do-it-yourself Wholemeal Bread (or Atta Bread) made with the same old bread baking staples.
About Complete Wheat Bread Recipe
This comfortable and tender complete wheat bread has an identical fluffy consistency as your favourite White Bread,, however with the yummy taste and well being advantages of complete wheat.
How is it attainable to make such a magical loaf? After a lot trial and error I lastly stumbled throughout the key ingredient that’s key for the softest crumb.
Just like Naan and Bhatura, my wholemeal bread recipe consists of yogurt (or curd). The creamy, barely acidic consistency of the yogurt creates a pleasant texture each time! Plus, yogurt is fairly gentle in taste, so that you get that full earthy style of wheat you like.
And YES, this recipe might be made vegan-friendly! The acidity of yogurt is what creates the nice rise for a brilliant comfortable crumb, however this may be simply replicated. Merely swap with vegan almond yogurt or cashew yogurt, and even simply lemon juice or vinegar.
I’ve tried making the bread with cashew yogurt, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, white vinegar they usually all work nicely.
Under are my step-by-step photographs and directions for making the perfect complete wheat bread from scratch. I take advantage of my arms to knead the bread, however be at liberty to make use of a standing mixer with a dough hook as a substitute.
This Wholemeal Bread recipe works splendidly with any form of baker’s yeast. Be it immediate yeast (or speedy rising yeast), dry energetic yeast or contemporary yeast.
Bear in mind to proof dry energetic yeast or contemporary yeast in lukewarm water. And in addition notice that the leavening time or the time taken for the dough to rise will probably be extra when utilizing these two forms of yeast.
Observe: To make this wholemeal bread, I’ve used immediate yeast (speedy rising yeast). Within the recipe card under I’ve talked about proportions if utilizing dry energetic yeast or contemporary yeast.
Methods to make Complete Wheat Bread
1. In a big bowl or within the bowl of a standing mixer, add ½ cup of water and 1 tablespoon of uncooked sugar. The water might be room temperature or lukewarm.
Nevertheless, if utilizing energetic dry yeast or contemporary yeast, then be sure you use lukewarm water.
Questioning which yeast to decide on? The leavening and rising time of immediate yeast is quicker in comparison with dry energetic yeast. You additionally don’t must proof the moment yeast just like the dry energetic yeast, however I nonetheless present you the complete proofing methodology to assist in case you are utilizing dry energetic yeast.
2. To the bowl add 1 teaspoon of immediate yeast (speedy rise yeast).
If utilizing dry energetic yeast, add 1.5 teaspoons. Swirl the bowl round or stir with a spoon to assist the yeast dissolve within the water.
3. Combine nicely and let the yeast proof for 10 to fifteen minutes.
Make Wholemeal Bread Dough
4. Now add 3 cups of complete wheat flour (360 grams), 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of your favourite impartial flavored oil (or butter or ghee) and a couple of tablespoons of yogurt (curd).
For a vegan-friendly loaf: Use both 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, or 2 tablespoons of almond or cashew yogurt rather than dairy yogurt.
5. Combine nicely with a spoon.
6. Add ½ cup of water in components as you combine.
7. Now start to knead the combination right into a comfortable dough, including water at intervals as wanted.
8. The dough will probably be barely sticky at first, however it will likely be wonderful after the preliminary rise. If the dough seems to be dry, nevertheless, you’ll be able to add some extra water.
Work in 1 tablespoon at a time. If the dough seems to be too sticky (is actively sticking to your arms), then sprinkle in a little bit of flour.
Knead very nicely for a complete of 8 to 10 minutes to get a supple, pliable and comfortable dough. A barely sticky dough is ok.
Proof Dough (First Rise)
9. Flatten the dough to fill the underside of the bowl. Frivolously brush the highest of the dough with water.
10. Place a towel over the bowl, and proof the dough for 30 to 35 minutes you probably have used immediate yeast.
For dry energetic yeast, give a time of about 1.5 to 2 hours for the dough to double in dimension.
11. After the preliminary rise, the dough needs to be almost double in dimension like within the picture under.
12. Use your fist to punch the dough evenly into the bowl, and knead once more evenly.
Form to a Loaf and Proof Loaf (Second Rise)
13. Work the wholemeal bread dough out of the bowl and onto a clear work floor. Roll right into a ball.
14. Now type the dough right into a log, and gently pinch the sides right into a seam.
15. Place the dough log right into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. Cowl once more with a kitchen towel and let rise.
- If in case you have used immediate yeast – leaven for 20 to half-hour.
- For dry energetic yeast or contemporary yeast – put aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour or extra relying on the temperature situations.
16. Whereas the dough leavens, preheat the oven for 20 minutes at 220 levels celsius (425 levels Fahrenheit).
If utilizing a convection oven or oven with a fan, then preheat at 200 or 205 levels celsius (400 levels Fahrenheit) for 20 minutes.
Rating and Bake Complete Wheat Bread
17. Make a ¼ inch cross or slits on the bread. This helps the steam escape because the bread bakes, and creates a young and comfortable loaf.
18. Frivolously brush the highest of the loaf with milk (dairy or vegan). You possibly can even brush with some oil or butter or ghee.
That is an elective step but it surely positively offers a beautiful golden coloration and likewise a superbly chewy crust and moistest crumb.
19. Bake within the preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes. If utilizing a convection oven, shorten bake time by a couple of minutes.
20. Bake the entire wheat bread dough till the highest crust is golden.
Take away the bread from the oven and let it sit for a couple of minutes to chill. Then gently faucet on high of the loaf: if baked correctly, the bread ought to ought to hole.
If the bread doesn’t sound hole, put it again within the oven to bake for a number of extra minutes.
21. Whereas the wheat bread continues to be scorching, rigorously take away it from the pan (utilizing oven mittens/gloves) and place it on a wire rack to chill.
The underside of your loaf will get soggy when you go away it within the pan for too lengthy!
Let the Atta Bread cool utterly earlier than slicing with a serrated knife.
Take pleasure in do-it-yourself complete wheat bread sliced with butter, ghee, jams, peanut butter, or any of your favourite spreads.
As soon as cooled, wrap in a cling movie or hold in a bread field at room temperature for as much as one week. In case you stay in a heat or scorching place, refrigerate the wheat loaf.
To freeze, place the entire wheat loaf in an hermetic bag after wrapping in cling movie, and hold within the freezer for as much as 1 month.
Please be sure you price the recipe within the recipe card or go away a remark under you probably have made it. For extra veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Complete Wheat Bread | Wholemeal Bread (Atta Bread)
Make the perfect comfortable Complete Wheat Bread or Wholemeal bread made with easy pantry components. This Atta Bread is made with 100% complete wheat flour, yogurt and yeast.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook dinner Time 25 minutes
Leavening Time 1 hr
Whole Time 1 hr 45 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Forming Complete Wheat Dough
Subsequent add the entire wheat flour, salt, most well-liked impartial flavored oil (or butter or ghee) and yogurt.
Combine with a spoon.
Subsequent add ½ cup of water little by little and start to knead for 8 to 10 minutes or as wanted.
Knead to a comfortable, supple and easy dough. A nicely kneaded dough which when stretched mustn’t tear.
Add extra water if required whereas kneading. The dough might be barely sticky.
- Brush some water all around the dough and hold in a deep extensive bowl lined with a lid or kitchen towel for 30 to 35 minutes you probably have used immediate yeast.If dry energetic yeast or contemporary yeast has been used – hold within the lined bowl to leaven for 1.5 to 2 hours or extra till the dough doubles.
After the preliminary rise, the dough will probably be double in dimension. Take away after which evenly punch and knead the dough once more.
On a clear work floor roll the dough right into a neat ball.
Make a log of the dough and gently pinch the sides right into a seam – which means tuck within the edges on the corners.
Place the ready dough log in a greased 9×5 inches loaf pan with tucked edges dealing with downwards. Cowl with kitchen towel once more.
- Cowl and let it rise the second time for 20 to half-hour you probably have used immediate yeast.For dry energetic yeast or contemporary yeast – put aside for 45 minutes to 1 hour or extra relying on the temperature situations in your metropolis or city.
Baking wheat bread
Preheat the oven at 220 levels C/425 levels F for at-least 20 minutes.
- As soon as the bread has risen within the loaf pan, make a ¼ inch cross or slits on the bread. This helps the steam escape because the bread bakes, and creates a young and comfortable loaf.
Maintain the loaf pan within the oven and bake at 220 levels C/425 levels F for 22 to 25 minutes or till the bread sounds hole when tapped.
Whereas baking, if the wheat bread begins to brown an excessive amount of from the highest, then cowl with parchment paper or aluminium foil.
- Take away the bread from the oven and let it sit for a couple of minutes to chill. Then gently faucet on high of the loaf: if baked correctly, the bread ought to ought to hole.If the bread doesn’t sound hole, put it again within the oven to bake for a number of extra minutes.
When the bread continues to be scorching, take away it from the loaf pan utilizing oven mittens/gloves and hold it on a wired tray to chill.
Let the Wholemeal Bread loaf cool utterly earlier than slicing it with a serrated knife.
- Take pleasure in do-it-yourself Complete Wheat Bread sliced with butter, ghee, jams, peanut butter, or any of your favourite spreads. Or use the Atta Bread to make your favourite sandwiches or snacks from bread.
Retailer bread within the fridge for a couple of week or the freezer for a couple of month.
- You may also instantly combine the moment yeast granules with flour and different components. However do notice that generally immediate yeast granules don’t dissolve utterly within the dough and so you’ll be able to choose to dissolve them individually in water first.
- In case you desire, sift the entire wheat flour with salt a few times.
- Be sure that to make use of curd or yogurt that’s not tasting very bitter.
- This recipe has been examined efficiently with each the entire wheat flour (accessible in US and Europe) and the finely floor complete wheat flour which we name Atta in India. Each some of these flours work fantastically to make a more healthy and comfortable loaf.
- Do bear in mind so as to add water as wanted as the quantity of water varies with the type and high quality of flour getting used.
- The recipe might be doubled or tripled to make many loaves of bread.
Complete Wheat Bread | Wholemeal Bread (Atta Bread)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 132 Energy from Fats 27
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 0.5g3%
Polyunsaturated Fats 0.4g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Ldl cholesterol 1mg0%
Vitamin A 7IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.3mg20%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.1mg6%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin B12 0.02µg0%
Vitamin C 0.02mg0%
Vitamin D 0.01µg0%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 37µg9%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Complete Wheat Bread recipe from the archives first printed in December 2013 has been up to date and republished on December 2022.