Say hey to Beetroot Poriyal – a evenly spiced South Indian particular preparation made with beets, coconut, spices and herbs. When you is perhaps consuming beetroot in salads and juices, that is a kind of simple methods the place you may even prepare dinner this tremendous nutritious root vegetable. As apparent, this dry dish has a fantastic pink coloration to it as a result of the beetroot completely colours it with its pure hue. The addition of spices and coconut add to the earthiness of this tasty dish.
If you’re within the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu, you’ll come throughout the favored meals time period ‘poriyal,’ which might usually imply a type of sautéed or fried dish. Related phrases in different languages are ‘mezhukupuratti’ (Malayalam), ‘palya’ (Kannada) and ‘vepudu’ (Telugu).
A sort of aspect dish, it sometimes has a vegetable (shredded or finely chopped) which is cooked with complete spices, curry leaves and black gram (urad dal). Typically onions, dried pink chilies and different spice powders may be added. It’s often completed with heap of coconut and coriander (optionally).
Extra on Beetroot Poriyal
I typically make this Beetroot Poriyal and different veggie poriyals at dwelling. This dish is a most well-liked one as a result of it’s actually easy to make (identical to the Kerala thorans) and is wholesome too. So, each time I’m making a sambar, a vegetable poriyal or thoran is also an choice by default.
This recipe of Beetroot Poriyal can also be a no onion, no garlic one. Different fundamental components that go on this preparation are mustard seeds, inexperienced chillies, curry leaves, urad dal, asafoetida and a few coconut. Make it gluten-free by not including the asafoetida.
Whether or not you wish to chop or grate the beetroot, the selection is yours. The poriyal is tasty each methods. Although, utilizing grated beetroot will at all times reduce the time to prepare dinner the vegetable.
I at all times prepare dinner the Beetroot Poriyal in coconut oil as that’s what’s the essence of this dish. However you may substitute it with sesame oil (gingelly oil) as properly.
You may make the poriyal with different veggies like those I’ve talked about within the above part. There is no such thing as a finish to that. Each shall be simply as fab as the opposite, this a lot I can guarantee you.
At dwelling, I had this Beetroot Poriyal with a yummy sambar and steamed foxtail millet combo. For normal occasions, this poriyal goes good with a Sambar-rice or Rasam-rice mixture. You possibly can have it with chapati too for a healthful meal.
Tips on how to make Beetroot Poriyal
1. In a pan, warmth 2 tablespoons coconut oil or sesame oil (gingelly oil). Hold the warmth to a low and add 1 teaspoon mustard seeds.
2. Let the mustard seeds crackle.
3. When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add 1 teaspoon urad dal (cut up and husked black gram).
4. Stirring typically, fry the urad dal on low warmth.
5. Fry until the urad dal turns golden.
6. Then, add 1 chopped inexperienced chili (about ½ to 1 teaspoon, chopped), 10 to 12 torn or chopped curry leaves and 1 pinch asafoetida (hing). Combine properly.
7. Now, add 2 cups finely chopped beetroot (or 2 medium to massive beetroot or 250 grams finely chopped beetroot). You can even add grated beetroot.
8. Combine very properly.
9. Add salt as per style and blend once more.
10. Add ⅓ cup water or add as required.
11. Cowl the pan with a lid and let the beetroot prepare dinner on low to medium-low warmth.
12. Do examine and stir, in between. If the water dries up, add some water after which proceed to cowl and prepare dinner.
13. The beetroot ought to soften and get cooked utterly. Earlier than continuing to the subsequent step, guarantee there isn’t a water within the pan.
If the beetroot items are softened and there may be some water, then prepare dinner with out the lid, so that each one the water evaporates.
14. Lastly, add 3 to 4 tablespoons grated recent coconut.
15. Combine very properly. Change off the warmth and canopy the pan.
16. Serve the Beetroot Poriyal scorching or heat as a aspect dish with sambar-rice, rasam-rice and even dal-rice. It may also be had with chapatis, plain paratha or bread.
Please you’ll want to price the recipe within the recipe card or depart a remark under if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Beetroot Poriyal is a evenly spiced South Indian particular preparation made with beets, coconut, spices and herbs. The addition of spices and coconut add to the earthiness of this tasty dish.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 15 minutes
Complete Time 20 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
In a pan warmth the coconut oil or gingelly oil (til ka tel or sesame oil produced from uncooked sesame seeds). Hold warmth to a low and add mustard seeds.
When the mustard seeds start to crackle, add urad dal. Stirring typically fry the urad dal until they get golden and fragrant.
Then add chopped inexperienced chillies, curry leaves (chopped or complete) and asafoetida. Combine properly.
Then add finely chopped or grated beetroot.
Combine very properly.
Add salt as per style and blend once more.
Add ⅓ cup of water or add as required.
Cowl the pan with a lid and let the beetroot prepare dinner on a low to medium-low warmth.
In between do examine and stir. If the water dries up, then you may add some water after which proceed to cowl and prepare dinner.
- The beetroot ought to soften, develop into tender and get cooked utterly. Earlier than continuing to the subsequent step guarantee there isn’t a water within the pan. If the beetroot items have softened and there may be some water, then prepare dinner with out lid, so that each one the water evaporates.
Lastly add 3 to 4 tablespoons grated recent coconut. Combine very properly. Change off the warmth and canopy pan.
Serve the Beetroot Poriyal scorching or heat as a aspect dish with sambar-rice or rasam-rice and even dal-rice. It may also be had with chapati or paratha.
- Use recent, tender and juicy beets.
- You might skip coconut for those who wouldn’t have it or add desiccated coconut as a substitute. Word that with desiccated coconut the style will change barely.
- The recipe may be doubled or tripled.
- This approximate diet information is per serving (made with coconut oil).
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 277 Energy from Fats 198
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 19g119%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 2g
Vitamin A 231IU5%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 58mg290%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 110mg133%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 732µg183%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Beetroot Poriyal recipe from the archives first printed on July 2013 has been republished and up to date on November 2022.