Ragi halwa with step-by-step photographs. Ragi halwa is a candy dessert comprised of ragi flour (finger millet flour), milk, ghee, sugar, nuts and flavored with cardamom powder. It makes for a calcium wealthy, filling and scrumptious candy that will probably be preferred by everybody.
Since lots of you will have requested me so as to add ragi recipes, I’m including them one after the other. Ragi is a marvel millet grain and is also referred to as nachni or purple millet.
It has nice advantages as its loaded with calcium and wealthy in minerals. In India ragi is consumed within the type of Ragi Mudde, Ragi Ladoo, Ragi Kheer, Ragi Dosa, Ragi Idli, Ragi Roti and so forth.
In case you are on the lookout for a superb supply of calcium then ragi should be very excessive in your listing. 100 grams of ragi accommodates roughly 350 mg of calcium.
It’s a nutrient dense grain and a superfood. In South Indian delicacies you’ll discover many recipes the place ragi is used.
I’m sharing right here the way in which I learnt to make ragi halwa from my mother. Right here I’ve used used milk and ghee to organize this halwa.
Ghee offers a beautiful aroma and taste. Milk offers a good style. Ragi halwa is a wholesome candy for toddlers and youngsters. I’ve added some nuts too, however they’re non-obligatory and you may skip them or add your most well-liked nuts or dry fruits. Bear in mind to cut them after which add to the halwa.
You may make ragi halwa as a dessert and even for a candy breakfast.
How one can make Ragi Halwa
1. Warmth 3 to 4 tablespoons ghee in a heavy pan or kadai. Attempt to use a well-seasoned heavy pan in order to keep away from the halwa sticking to the pan.
2. Then add ½ cup ragi flour (nachni flour or finger millet flour). You too can use sprouted finger millet flour.
Ragi flour will get rancid shortly. So be certain that the flour doesn’t have any rancid aroma and is inside the shelf interval.
3. Preserve stirring the flour for 3 to 4 minutes on low warmth.
4. The combination will start to bubble.
5. When the combination begins effervescent, add ¼ cup of sugar. You need to use uncooked sugar or common sugar or you may as well add jaggery or palm sugar or coconut sugar.
6. Stir and blend the sugar very effectively with the ragi combination.
7. Now add 1 cup of sizzling milk. The milk needs to be sizzling earlier than you add. So warmth the milk individually in a small pan until it turns into sizzling.
8. Whenever you add the milk, stir additionally on the similar time. Carry on stirring whereas including milk.
Proceed to stir even after all of the milk has been added. Proceed stirring the halwa, until it begins thickening.
9. Quickly the combination will begin leaving the sides of the pan. Now add ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder. Stir and blend effectively.
At this level you may as well add your most well-liked nuts and dry fruits. Chop them and add. Some choices are cashews, almonds, walnuts, pecans, raisins, sultanas, pine nuts and pistachios.
10. Change off the warmth and switch the halwa to a serving dish. Because the halwa cools it would thicken extra.
11. Whereas serving garnish with finely chopped nuts. Within the beneath photograph I’ve garnished the halwa with finely chopped almonds and pistachios. You too can use finely chopped cashews. Serve ragi halwa heat or chilled.
It makes for a filling candy. You possibly can get pleasure from this candy at any time when starvation pangs strike you.
In case you are on the lookout for extra Halwa Recipes then do examine:
Please you’ll want to charge this recipe within the recipe card beneath in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Ragi halwa is a candy dessert comprised of ragi flour, ghee, sugar and milk.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook dinner Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 20 minutes
Forestall your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Warmth ghee in a pan or kadai.
Add the ragi flour.
Preserve stirring the flour for 3 to 4 minutes on low warmth. The combination will bubble
When the combination begins effervescent, add sugar.
Stir and blend very effectively.
Then add sizzling milk. The milk needs to be sizzling. So warmth the milk individually in one other pan.
Proceed stirring the ragi halwa, until it begins thickening.
Quickly the combination will begin leaving the sides of the pan. Now sprinkle cardamom powder.
Change off the warmth and switch the halwa to a serving dish.
Because the ragi halwa cools, it would thicken extra. Garnish with chopped dry fruits.
Serve ragi halwa heat or at room temperature.
- If the ragi halwa seems to be dry then add 1 to 2 tablespoons of sizzling milk.
- You too can add jaggery as an alternative of sugar. Add jaggery as required.
- You possibly can garnish the halwa together with your selection of nuts and dry fruits.
- To make a vegan model of ragi halwa use a impartial flavored oil as an alternative of ghee. Additionally add a plant primarily based milk or water as an alternative of milk.
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 568 Energy from Fats 234
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 14g88%
Monounsaturated Fats 5g
Ldl cholesterol 61mg20%
Vitamin A 800IU16%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Ragi Halwa publish from the weblog archives first revealed in August 2016 has been republished and up to date on 30 Jun 2022.