Who doesn’t like their breads, smoothie bowls, desserts or another comparable dishes topped with a zingy fruity jam, unfold or preserve? This Fig Jam is simply going to be that pal to your toppings, making them more healthy, tastier and prettier as properly. Straightforward to organize and fuss-free, this Fig Jam recipe is made with contemporary figs and jaggery (will be made with sugar as properly). You actually can’t miss giving this a attempt!
Extra on this Fig Jam
The easiest way to make use of contemporary figs in season is to make a batch of this scrumptious, preservative, additive and pectin free, vegan and gluten-free Fig Jam.
This straightforward Fig Jam recipe additionally requires a more healthy alternative of sweetener, that’s, powdered jaggery as an alternative of sugar. With jaggery the jam has rustic earthy flavors.
Jaggery is principally Indian unrefined sugar made by boiling sugarcane juice. Jaggery is well out there in syrup, powder and blocks on-line. My recipes makes use of powdered jaggery however you possibly can simply swap it with jaggery blocks or syrup.
Additionally you don’t have to fret for those who do not need jaggery. Within the absence of jaggery at house, you need to use common sugar.
This Fig Jam recipe is impressed by my pal Anamika’s recipe. I had determined to recreate it at my house. It’s merely beautiful and fairly irresistible.
Simply as another jam, this Fig Jam will also be used as a topping on muffins, custards, muffins, ice lotions or another dessert that you could be wish to have it with.
You may give this to your children in paratha or roti roll-ups too. Simply unfold a heap of this Fig Jam on the paratha, roll and pack of their dabba (tiffin). They’re going to adore it!
Why go for Fig Jam
I’ve been a fruit lover all my life. And the easiest way I’d wish to eat my fruits, apart from of their uncooked fruit type, is in jams, jellies, spreads, marmalades, conserves or preserves.
One essential factor about fruits in these varieties is you can get pleasure from your favourite fruit any time of the season. There isn’t a higher method than these to protect the goodness of contemporary seasonal fruits.
A specific fruit will nonetheless have their shelf-life. However the backside line is that you just just about have an entry to it for a lot of months at a go!
I’ve been frequently making ready this Fig Jam recipe each time ‘it’s that point of the yr’ of contemporary figs. Figs are wealthy in nutritional vitamins and minerals too. Therefore, ought to be consumed as and when they are often.
Apart from relishing this Fig Jam with my selfmade Whole Wheat Bread, I additionally make a tasty Fig Jam Roll.
The right way to make Fig Jam
1. Rinse, dry and chop 12 to fifteen contemporary figs. You possibly can even mash or crush flippantly.
To rinse these many figs – soak the figs in a bowl or kitchen sink containing water masking them to which you’ve got added about 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of baking soda for about 10 minutes.
Then rinse once more with contemporary clear water a couple of occasions. Drain the entire water. Unfold the figs on a tray or plate to dry naturally or pat them dry with a clear kitchen towel.
Prepare dinner Figs
2. In a pan, add the chopped figs and 1 cup water.
3. Preserve the pan on a low to medium-low warmth and let the figs cook dinner. After 4 to five minutes, add ¼ cup natural powdered jaggery or uncooked sugar.
4. Stir and let the fig combination cook dinner slowly on low warmth.
Make Fig Jam
5. Later after about 15 to 18 minutes after including jaggery, the combination will start to thicken slowly. Preserve stirring and mash the cooked figs whereas stirring.
6. The fig jam combination will thicken extra and attain this consistency after about 7 to eight minutes.
7. Regulate the fig combination as it’s thickening. It is going to start to thicken shortly and for those who don’t maintain an eye fixed you would possibly find yourself with a thick gelatinous mass. That is after 3 minutes.
8. Lastly, after 5 extra minutes, that is the ultimate Fig Jam consistency that we require. On low warmth, it takes about 35 to 40 minutes to cook dinner this jam. When the combination begins to depart the perimeters of the pan, it means its finished. Different methods to verify the doneness is by these 2 steps:
- Plate Take a look at: Take a spoonful of the Fig Jam on a plate and let it cool. If it units on cooling and there’s no water separation, the jam is completed.
- Spoon/Sheet Take a look at: Take the Fig Jam in a spoon and permit it to fall. If the jam falls within the type of sheet from the spoon, it’s cooked and able to be bottled.
Additionally, in the direction of the tip, add 2 to three pinches of floor cinnamon and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir and blend properly.
Notice that the timing will fluctuate with the sort of pan, measurement of pan and the warmth depth.
11. Cowl the pan with a clear kitchen towel and let the jam cool. As soon as cooled, fill a clear sterilized glass jar with the jam and refrigerate it. Use it as a topping in your favourite desserts or unfold it in your toasts.
Do use a glass jar to retailer the jam. Keep away from utilizing plastic jars because the chemical compounds from them can leach within the meals.
Spoon the jam with a clear dry spoon within the sterilized glass jar. Seal tightly and maintain the jar within the fridge.
- Making jams or preserves is straightforward. Simply be sure to care for the hygiene. So, each time I put together jams that ought to final for months, I sterilize my glass jars in sizzling boiling water. In case the recipe offers a small yield, utilizing a clear jar and storing it within the fridge is sufficient.
- It’s essential to at all times use good high quality of contemporary fruits which must be rinsed properly after which dried fully with a clear kitchen towel.
- The quantity of jaggery/sugar will be adjusted as per your style or relying on the sweetness of the figs.
- One essential level that you will need to take note is that after the jam is cooked, no water or moisture ought to fall in it. Any moisture within the jam will scale back its shelf-life and may result in its spoilage. So, cowl the pan with a kitchen towel and never with a lid with a view to keep away from the condensation on the lid.
- Lemon juice is a pure preservative together with jaggery/sugar.
- The spices added to the jam not solely makes it flavorsome, but additionally act as preservatives.
- You possibly can verify the doneness of the Fig Jam by 2 strategies: Plate Take a look at or Spoon/Sheet Take a look at. Examine these strategies within the Step-by-Step Information above.
Usually, jam is made utilizing chopped or crushed fruit whereas jelly is made utilizing solely fruit juice and never the precise fruit itself. As such, jellies are largely thickened with pectin, whereas many jams will be made with out it.
This Fig Jam will be saved for a couple of month within the fridge.
No, it’s not essential to peel the figs because the peels are often very mushy.
Sure, you need to use common sugar as an alternative of jaggery.
Sure, you possibly can skip utilizing floor cinnamon powder. However I like to recommend you to make use of it because it solely elevates the style of the jam.
I’d not advocate utilizing honey as an alternative of jaggery or sugar. In keeping with Ayurveda, honey turns into poisonous when boiled and cooked.
Please be sure you price this recipe within the recipe card beneath if in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or comply with me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Fig Jam Recipe
Easy, straightforward, selfmade Fig Jam recipe made with contemporary figs and jaggery (will be made with sugar as properly).
Prep Time 10 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 40 minutes
Whole Time 50 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse the contemporary figs properly, allow them to dry naturally or dry with a kitchen towel. Be sure that there isn’t any moisture or water droplets on the figs. They need to be completely dry.
Trim the higher stalks and chop the figs.
In a thick bottomed pan, add the chopped figs and water.
On a low to medium-low warmth, cook dinner the figs.
After 4 to five minutes, add the jaggery powder or sugar.
- Proceed to cook dinner the fig combination on low warmth for about 35 to 40 minutes or as wanted, stirring ceaselessly. Mash the figs whilst you stir them. Preserve in thoughts that the cooking time of the jam will fluctuate with the sort of pan, measurement of pan and the warmth depth.
If the combination appears dry to you, then add some tablespoon or about ¼ cup sizzling water.
- Verify for doneness of the jam by doing any of the beneath assessments. 1. Take a spoonful of fig jam on a chilly plate and let it cool. If it units on cooling and there’s no water separation, this implies the jam is completed.2. Or take the fig jam in a spoon and permit it to fall. If the jam falls within the type of sheet, it’s finished and able to be bottled.
Lastly, add the bottom cinnamon and lemon juice. Combine properly.
Take away the pan from the stove-top and place on the kitchen countertop.
Cowl the pan loosely with a kitchen towel and permit the jam to chill at room temperature.
When the Fig Jam is totally cooled, pour right into a sterilized clear glass jar.
Preserve the jam in fridge. The fig jam retains properly for a couple of month within the fridge.
- This recipe will be scaled and you may make massive parts of jam.
- Swap jaggery with sugar. Additionally add sugar as wanted relying on the sweetness of the figs.
- For jaggery do verify for particles or stones. If the jaggery powder has impurities than soften it within the 1 cup water. Pressure and add this 1 cup of jaggery liquid to the figs.
- Bear in mind to cook dinner the jam on a low to medium-low warmth in a thick bottomed pan in order that the jam doesn’t get browned or burnt whereas cooking.
- At all times retailer the jam in sterilized glass jars for an extended shelf life. Place the jam jar within the fridge.
- The approximate diet information is for 1 small jar of Fig Jam.
Fig Jam Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 674 Energy from Fats 18
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Vitamin A 873IU17%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 14mg17%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Okay 30µg29%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 37µg9%
* % Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This Fig Jam recipe submit from the archives first printed on April 2013 has been republished and up to date on 22 Could 2022.