The Mexican Agua Fresca is just a refreshing beverage/drink which doesn’t comprise any alcohol. This Agua Fresca recipe is a low-fat, vegan model made with recent juicy watermelon, good to beat the warmth throughout summers. So, why not stir-up a singular beverage this time and welcome a change from these traditional watermelon drinks that you’re used to consuming.
What’s Agua Fresca
The sunshine, non-alcoholic drinks well-liked in Mexico, Southwest United States and Central America are known as Aguas Frescas. This can be a Spanish time period which accurately interprets to ‘cool or recent waters.’
These are often a mix product of fruits, flowers, cereals or seeds with water and sugar. Some well-liked flavors of the Agua Fresca with fruits embrace grapes, watermelon, berries, citrus and bitter fruits, guava, mango, papaya, prickly pear, melon, cantaloupe. Different taste variants embrace chia seeds, tamarind, hibiscus, vanilla, horchata and extra.
This beverage isn’t just a widely known avenue discover in these areas, however are additionally bought at comfort shops. Locals like pairing their meals with this drink at juice bars and eating places too.
About Watermelon Agua Fresca
Summers are not far away and what higher method to cool the physique than to sip on a brilliant refreshing and cooling beverage product of watermelon. This Watermelon Agua Fresca recipe is a fully straightforward vegan and low-fat recipe that will get finished in a jiffy.
As watermelon is synonymous with the intense scorching climate situations in India and is a private favourite fruit too, I made a decision to recreate this Mexican drink at my house.
The consistency and style of the Mexican Agua Fresca is totally different than the common Watermelon Juice. The watermelon juice within the Agua Fresca recipe is strained and extracted from the pulp not like the watermelon juice which has the pulp.
I used half a big watermelon which yielded about 5 glasses of the beverage. To convey a slight twist within the traditional recipe, I’ve added hints of ginger to my model.
This creates an earthy undertone which matches rather well with the general taste of watermelon, lemon and recent mint. You’ll be able to skip including the ginger when you want to.
This non-alcoholic watermelon drink is greatest had when chilled or served with ice cubes within the sweltering summer time warmth. It will also be that good celebration mocktail the place you may serve it in spice/salt rimmed glasses, with lemon wedges, a elaborate stirrer or mint sprig.
How one can make Agua Fresca
1. First take the chopped watermelon cubes in a blender. Be sure to take away the seeds from the watermelon whereas chopping them.
You will want 4 to five cups of chopped watermelon cubes. Additionally add ½ teaspoon chopped ginger (about ½ inch peeled ginger). Pour 1 to 2 cups water or as wanted relying on the consistency you favor.
Additionally add sugar when you like. I often select to skip sugar on this drink however you may add about ¼ cup or extra as wanted.
2. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
3. Mix to a easy and high-quality consistency.
4. Place a big bowl beneath a medium mesh strainer. Pour the juice within the strainer.
5. Press the remaining pulp on the strainer with a spoon so that each one the juice is squeezed via. Discard the pulp.
Should you choose you may omit this step of straining the juice.
6. Pour the juice in glasses. Add just a few ice cubes when you like. Garnish with mint leaves or lemon slices or function is.
If you wish to serve chilly, then refrigerate for just a few hours. Or select so as to add chilly water whereas mixing.
- Since watermelon already has a excessive water content material, you may alter the amount of water to be added. Select so as to add much less or extra water as wanted.
- Including sugar is optionally available and it may be added as per your sweetness degree preferences.
- Including ginger can be optionally available and you’ll skip including it.
- The easiest way to serve Agua Fresca is chilled or with ice cubes. In case you don’t wish to achieve this, you should utilize chilled water to mix the drink and devour it instantly.
Sure, Agua Fresca is an especially wholesome drink when made with none sugar or sweetener. It’s vegan, low-fat and is hydrating too.
This can be a private selection. But it surely’s higher to maintain it the way in which it’s to totally acquire from its well being advantages.
It’s best to devour the Agua Fresca as quickly as potential. If storing then retailer for just a few hours within the fridge.
The principle distinction between the 2 is within the consistency. The watermelon juice within the Agua Fresca is strained and extracted from the pulp not like the watermelon juice which has the pulp. So the agua fresca is extra thinner and lighter than watermelon juice which has extra thickness and quantity.
Sure, you may as there are numerous traditional Mexican variations of the Agua Fresca which might be made with totally different fruits like orange, melon, berries, papaya, pineapple, and many others. Select to omit straining of the juice when you choose.
Extra Beverage Recipes To Attempt!
Please be sure you charge this recipe within the recipe card beneath when you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Watermelon Agua Fresca | Refreshing Mexican Drink
This Watermelon Agua Fresca is a cooling, refreshing, alcohol-free, vegan and gluten-free Mexican drink made with watermelon, ginger, lemon juice, sugar (optionally available) and water. Excellent to beat the warmth throughout summers.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 0 minutes
Whole Time 15 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Chop half of a big watermelon. Should you choose you should utilize all the watermelon too. Take away the seeds whereas chopping watermelon.
Mix all of the chopped watermelon cubes, ginger, lemon juice, sugar and water in a blender.
Hold a big bowl or pan beneath a medium mesh strainer.
Pour the juice on the strainer.
- Press the pulp on the strainer with the again of a spoon in order that the additional juice additionally filters via. If you would like you may skip this step of straining the juice.
Discard the pulp.
Pour the agua fresca in glasses and add just a few ice cubes when you like.
Serve watermelon agua fresca immediately garnished with lemon slices or mint sprigs. You can too benefit from the drink as is with out the ice cubes and garnishes.
- The quantity of water will be adjusted. Since watermelon already has a excessive water content material, you may alter the quantity of water to be added.
- Including sugar is optionally available. Add as per your necessities and relying on the sweetness of the watermelon. You can too add your most popular sweeteners.
- Attempt to use a candy watermelon to be able to omit or scale back the sugar.
- For a slighter thicker juice, it’s also possible to add ½ cup water.
- Ginger and lemon juice will be skipped.
- The recipe will be scaled down or up based on your wants.
Watermelon Agua Fresca | Refreshing Mexican Drink
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 78 Energy from Fats 9
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 1g
Vitamin A 692IU14%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 11mg13%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 1µg1%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 4µg1%
* P.c Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Agua Fresca recipe publish from the archives first revealed on April 2013 has been republished and up to date on 21 Could 2022.