A no oil, 3-ingredient and easiest but yummy pickle – this Turmeric Pickle or Haldi Ka Achar is a Gujarati particular and made with kachcha haldi or contemporary turmeric root, lemon juice and salt. Whereas this Turmeric Pickle recipe is tangy, there’s one other candy Gujarati protect known as the Aam Chunda made with inexperienced unripe mangoes that you have to strive earlier than the mango season is over.
My tryst with this pickle
I’ve all the time thought of turmeric as an essential spice in my recipe and meals generally, due to the distinctive pure shade it will probably impart to any dish and its many dietary advantages.
Whereas having fun with a daily lunch at considered one of our Gujarati buddy’s place, she had served us two pickles. One was with contemporary turmeric roots and the opposite with mango ginger (aam haldi or amba haldi) roots.
The pickles have been actually easy with none oil or spices. However the flavors hit a jackpot for my style buds! I liked them a lot that I made a decision to strive the recipe at residence, particularly the Haldi Ka Achar.
I’ve a very good assortment of cookbooks and examine a pickle recipe which had ginger, turmeric and mango ginger in ‘Gujarati Kitchen: Household Recipes for the World Palate,’ a cookbook by Bhanu Hajratwala. So, I loosely tailored this Turmeric Pickle recipe from there.
About Turmeric Pickle
No pickle can get so simple as this Turmeric Pickle as this doesn’t contain any cooking and will get accomplished by simply mixing the substances. The one time that’s required is to prep the contemporary and uncooked turmeric roots by peeling and chopping/slicing them.
Then, simply dunk this together with the squeezed-out lemon juice and salt in a big bowl or immediately in a glass jar. Cove the jar and refrigerate the Haldi Ka Achar for six days. Publish this, the pickle is able to serve and could be refrigerated for about 2 months.
Throughout these 6 days, you have to shake the jar as soon as on daily basis and place it again within the fridge. The lemon juice has to cowl the turmeric utterly with the intention to keep away from the pickle from getting spoilt.
As for alternate options, this Turmeric Pickle recipe will also be made with mango ginger as a substitute of turmeric roots. Should you like a little bit spice think about your pickles, be happy so as to add some inexperienced chilies too.
Nonetheless, you have to be cautious of staining that the turmeric will trigger, in your arms too. So, don’t go for something white (board or serviette). Keep away from sporting white garments as properly.
The Turmeric Pickle is nice when served earlier than meals to assist digestion in addition to with the meals for a scrumptious punch.
Aside from this lovely Turmeric Pickle, strive together with this Turmeric Milk or Haldi Doodh too in your weight-reduction plan. It’s a pure immunity-boosting beverage, with an easy-peasy recipe.
Well being Advantages of Turmeric
Turmeric in any kind is really a gem for the human system due to its varied well being advantages. Ayurveda, conventional Chinese language and Siddha traditions additionally approve of it due to its many medicinal properties and makes use of.
Learn on to know why your meals have to be good buddies with this widespread spice.
- Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and has antioxidants. Thus, helps in decreasing irritation of tonsils, throat, knees, and many others. and offers reduction from many aches. A gargling water made with turmeric, salt and heat water is efficient in opposition to sore throats.
- It’s antimicrobial and has nice impact in opposition to sure pathogens.
- A turmeric and salt paste can be utilized on the human pores and skin to remedy swellings, bruises and abrasions.
- Based on Ayurveda, turmeric is tremendous good for digestion.
- Be sure that the lemon juice utterly covers the turmeric, or else the pickle would possibly spoil.
- You need to use mango ginger or edible wild turmeric too as a substitute for contemporary ginger on this recipe.
- So as to add some fieriness within the pickle, you may add inexperienced chilies.
- The jar or bottle that you simply use for storing the pickle have to be clear and sterilized properly. Retailer the pickle in a glass or ceramic jar. Don’t use plastic jar.
- The pickle takes a couple of week to mature. Preserve the pickle within the fridge because it matures. When the pickle is prepared, proceed to refrigerate and retailer it for about 2 months. It stays good for that a lot time.
Please make sure you fee this recipe within the recipe card beneath in case you have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Turmeric Pickle (Haldi Ka Achar)
A no oil, 3-ingredient and easiest but tasty pickle – this Turmeric Pickle or Haldi Ka Achar is a Gujarati particular and made with contemporary and uncooked turmeric roots, lemon juice and salt.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Whole Time 15 minutes
Stop your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Firstly, rinse the turmeric roots in water totally.
Peel and chop them into small items. This is essential. Don’t chop them into massive chunks.
Extract the juice from the lemons and put aside.
In a non reactive bowl, add the chopped turmeric items, salt and lemon juice. Stir to mix evenly.
Spoon all the things in a clear sterilized jar.
Shut the jar with its lid and preserve it within the fridge for six days.
Shake the jar on a regular basis. After 6 days, the pickle shall be able to serve.
Serve a really small portion, about ½ to 1 teaspoon of the Turmeric Pickle with any Indian meal.
This Haldi Ka Achar stays good for about 2 months within the fridge.
- Add extra lemon juice if wanted. The pickle ought to all the time be lined by a layer of lemon juice.
- Bear in mind to retailer the turmeric pickle within the fridge. Don’t preserve at room temperature as it will probably get spoiled.
- To make a barely extra massive batch scale up the recipe.
This Turmeric Pickle publish from the archives first revealed on Could 2014 has been republished and up to date on 20 Could 2022.