This Chinese language American model of the Cantonese dish relies on a recipe from The Chinese Cookbook, the groundbreaking 1972 quantity by Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee. Our model gives a sweet-and-sour sauce that’s most sometimes used on fish, however is simply as scrumptious on twice-fried pork.
Candy and Bitter Pork
This Chinese language American model of the Cantonese dish relies on a recipe from The Chinese language Cookbook, the groundbreaking 1972 quantity by Craig Claiborne and Virginia Lee. Our model gives a sweet-and-sour sauce that’s most sometimes used on fish, however is simply as scrumptious on twice-fried pork.
Yield: serves 4
- 1¼ lb. pork loin, trimmed and reduce into 1-in. cubes
- 1 tbsp. dry sherry
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce, divided
- 2 tbsp. peanut oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 cup cornstarch, divided
- ⅓ cups distilled white vinegar
- ½ cups sugar
- Kosher salt
- 6 drops crimson meals coloring
- 1 mall onion, reduce into 1-in. items
- ½ massive ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, and reduce into 1-in. chunks
- ½ small crimson bell pepper, cored, seeded, and reduce into 1-in. items
- ½ small inexperienced bell pepper, cored, seeded, and reduce into 1-in. items
- 4 skinny “cash” of peeled recent ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Utilizing the flat facet of a meat mallet, evenly pound every pork dice to a ¼-inch thickness. Switch to a medium bowl, add the sherry and 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, and toss to mix.
- Right into a wok, pour peanut oil to a depth of 1 inch. Warmth over medium-high warmth till the oil is scorching and shimmering however not fairly starting to smoke (375°F on an instant-read thermometer). Line a big plate with paper towels and set by the range.
- Put all however 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch into a large dish. Dredge the pork within the cornstarch, one piece at a time, urgent down along with your fingers to coat effectively. Working in batches, fry the pork in till mild golden-brown and cooked by means of, 4–5 minutes. Utilizing a slotted spoon, switch to the paper towel-lined plate and put aside to chill barely.
- Flip the range as much as excessive warmth and permit the oil to warmth a bit additional (about 400°F on an instant-read thermometer). Return the pork to the oil in a single batch and fry once more till the meat is crispier and deep golden-brown, 1–2 minutes. Take away from the warmth, switch the pork again to the lined plate, and discard all however ¼ cup of the cooking oil.
- In a small bowl, combine collectively the remaining 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with ¼ cup of cool water. To a small pot, add the remaining tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 cup water, vinegar, sugar, and salt to style; carry to a boil over medium-high warmth. Flip down the warmth to medium-low and stir till the sugar has utterly dissolved. Stir within the cornstarch slurry, the meals coloring, and a couple of tablespoons of recent peanut oil into the pot and simmer for 1 minute.
- Warmth the wok with the reserved cooking oil over medium warmth. When it simply begins to smoke, add the onions, pineapple, peppers, ginger, and garlic and stir-fry till the greens are crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir the ready sauce into the wok and produce to a boil. Add the crispy pork and toss to mix. Take away from warmth and switch the stir fry to a serving platter. Serve heat with cooked rice.