I got here throughout this well-liked New York Occasions strawberry shortcake recipe (practically 4,000 5 star opinions!) and browse essentially the most fascinating “overview” of all, one from the writer herself, who revealed the recipe greater than 30 years in the past.
“Such enjoyable to see a recipe I revealed greater than 30 years in the past spring again to life once more – the fantastic thing about the NYT recipe assortment. I see the purpose that the recipe makes excess of 4 servings however again residence in Maine right now of 12 months when our native berries are at their luscious peak, strawberry shortcake is commonly served by itself as a considerable supper, what we name in Italy a ‘piatto unico’ … In that case, it’s nearly proper for 4 individuals, with wholesome seconds.”
I simply love this! Strawberry shortcake for supper?! Sounds good to me!
New York Occasions republished Nancy Harmon Jenkins’ recipe through the digital age of recipe sharing, and residential cooks are thrilled about it! I like the thought of dessert for dinner and I like that the writer herself rediscovered her personal dessert recipe greater than 30 years later. And now these of us who get pleasure from discovering nice recipes on-line can get pleasure from it, too!
Prep Time: half-hour
Cook dinner Time: quarter-hour
Whole Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 4 very beneficiant servings
- 2 pints ripe strawberries (effectively rinsed!)
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, or extra to style (divided)
- 4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups butter (divided)
- 3 cups whipping cream (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Here is the right way to make it:
- Hull strawberries. Lower in half or slice, relying on measurement. Gently crush a couple of quarter of the berries with a fork to launch their juices. Combine juice with remaining berries and the 1/2 cup of sugar, including extra sugar for those who desire. Put aside, lined, for about half an hour to develop taste.
- In a big mixing bowl, sift collectively flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and baking powder. Add 3/4 cup of softened butter, and rub into dry components (as for pastry). Add 1 1/4 cups cream and blend to a tender dough. Knead the dough for 1 minute on a evenly floured floor, then roll it out to about 1/2-inch thickness. Utilizing a 3-inch biscuit cutter, reduce a fair variety of rounds, 2 rounds per serving.
- Use just a little of the butter to grease a baking sheet. Place half the rounds on it. Soften remaining butter and brush just a little on the rounds. Place remaining rounds on high. Bake in a preheated 450-degree F oven for 10 to fifteen minutes, or till golden brown.
- Take away from the oven and pull shortcakes aside. Brush the insides with a number of the remaining melted butter.
- Beat remaining cream till it thickens. Add vanilla and beat once more, simply till thick.
- Place a backside half of a shortcake on every plate. High with a beneficiant spoonful of berries. Cowl with a high half, add a couple of extra berries and high with whipped cream. Serve instantly.
The shortcakes freeze effectively however be sure you heat earlier than serving.
And from Ms. Harmon Jenkins herself: “Strawberries are the traditional alternative, however this might even be heavenly in excessive summer time with very ripe peaches or another juicy, macerated fruit.”
Need assistance changing cooking and baking measurements? Listed here are some helpful kitchen conversion charts.
Associated Merchandise on Amazon We Assume You Might Like:
30Second Cell, Inc. is a participant within the Amazon Providers LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to supply a way for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites.