Listed here are two issues I discovered in growing this recipe for my Creamy Hen Enchiladas:
- Selecting the correct enchilada sauce is essential to creating this dish.
- It’s onerous to make white rooster enchiladas look good in pictures.
OK. That’s not fully true. I already knew selecting the correct enchilada sauce was necessary. My recipe for 5-Ingredient Beef Enchiladas makes use of pink enchilada sauce, so I purchased all of the manufacturers accessible to me and did a style take a look at. The Hatch model was the winner.
For this recipe I knew I wished to make use of inexperienced enchilada sauce. So we purchased all of the totally different manufacturers we may discover and threw in a number of pink sauces for comparability. I actually anticipated the Hatch model to be my favourite once more, however I used to be shocked. The Las Palmas was essentially the most flavorful – by far. And, truthfully, the entire inexperienced sauces we tasted had been higher than any of the reds. In actual fact, I’m trying to discover the Las Palmas pink sauce so I can evaluate it to the Hatch.
So, what makes these enchiladas particular? Effectively, a number of issues…
They’re fairly dang straightforward and name for under seven elements. Whereas that’s a number of greater than the final enchilada recipe I shared with y’all, it’s nonetheless not many.
These enchiladas don’t skimp on the filling. They’re generously stuffed. When you don’t like quite a lot of filling, you’ll be able to scale back all of the filling elements by half.
That rooster filling is fairly scrumptious. Made with shredded cooked rooster, cream cheese, bitter cream and salsa, it has tons of creamy taste. The salsa is the proper shortcut because it provides tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic into the filling with out ever having to peel, chop or cook dinner a single vegetable.
Let’s speak about tortillas.
Most genuine Mexican-style enchiladas name for corn tortillas. My household isn’t large on corn tortillas until we’re making tacos. So I exploit flour tortillas. You need to choose no matter your loved ones likes.
Simply take into account that the corn tortillas will maintain up slightly higher because the flour ones can get slightly soggy. That’s a danger we’re prepared to take as a result of even when they collapse, they’ll nonetheless style nice.
In terms of the rooster within the filling, you’ll want about 4 cups of shredded cooked rooster. Many grocery shops promote packages of shredded cooked rooster within the deli part, which makes these even simpler. You’ll want about 1 pound in the event you’re shopping for it that means. You may also seize a rotisserie rooster and shred the meat from that. And, after all, you’re welcome to cook dinner some rooster breasts and shred these. Cooking it within the sluggish cooker is a superb possibility, too.
Creamy Hen Enchiladas
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook dinner time: half-hour
- 4 cups shredded rooster (about 1 pound)
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese
- ½ cup bitter cream
- ½ cup chunky salsa
- 8 (8-inch) tortillas* (corn or flour)
- 1 (8-ounce) bundle shredded Monterey Jack cheese (2 cups)
- 1 (10-ounce) can inexperienced enchilada sauce (1¼ cups) (I desire Las Palmas or Hatch model.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 levels and calmly spray a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Put aside.
- Place the cream cheese in a small bowl and canopy it with a paper towel. Microwave for 15-second intervals till very delicate.
- In a big bowl, combine the softened cream cheese, bitter cream and salsa collectively till easy.
- Add the rooster and stir to mix.
- Warmth the tortillas in response to the bundle directions.
- Pour about half of the enchilada sauce into the underside of the ready pan.
- Place about ½ cup of the rooster combination down the middle of every tortilla.
- High every with a heaping tablespoon of the cheese.
- Tightly roll up every tortilla and place them within the dish, seam aspect down.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce excessive of the enchiladas and sprinkle the remaining cheese excessive.
- Tightly wrap the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. To brown the tortillas slightly, take away the foil over the past 5 minutes of cooking.
- High as desired.
Corn tortillas are conventional, however my household prefers flour.