Sheer Khurma (often known as Sheer Khorma) is a wealthy, decadent, conventional dessert of vermicelli pudding made through the festive event of Eid al-Fitr within the South Asian nations of India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Pakistan. Within the Persian language ‘Sheer‘ means milk and ‘Khurma‘ means dates. This creamy and delish Sheer Khurma recipe is made with milk, dates, nuts and dry fruits, vermicelli and flavorings like rose water, saffron or cardamom powder.
Extra on Sheer Khurma
Sheer khurma is a wealthy dessert consisting of assorted dry fruits, nuts, ghee, and milk. Consider it like a rice pudding, besides as an alternative of rice, you employ angel hair pasta.
As with most Indian dishes, there are lots of totally different variations of constructing it. My straightforward recipe calls for less than a handful of pantry staples, that means you don’t have to search around for elements like condensed milk or khoya (mawa).
In my recipe, I roast the vermicelli (often known as seviyan in Hindi) first after which add it to exploit which has been simmering and thickening barely. The roasted vermicelli will get an virtually nutty taste, which is then imparted to the sweetened milk combination because it simmers. Because the vermicelli-milk combination thickens, I add dates along with extra dry fruits and nuts for sweetness and texture.
I solely add about 4 tablespoons of sugar in my sheer khurma recipe as a result of I exploit each dates and raisins, which lend their sweetness to the pudding. You’ll be able to regulate the proportion of sugar in accordance with the dates you employ and your style desire.
This scrumptious, candy pudding can be a wonderful dessert to be made in winters because it has loads of dry fruits and nuts which give a whole lot of warmth and heat to the physique. It’s best to have sheer khurma served sizzling from the pan throughout winters.
Distinction between Sheer Khurma and Seviyan Kheer
Although Sheer Khurma and Seviyan Kheer (Vermicelli Kheer) look comparable, they don’t seem to be the identical. Dates are added to sheer khurma, however are usually not added to vermicelli kheer.
The strategy of cooking sheer khurma can be totally different than vermicelli kheer. In sheer khurma, milk is thickened barely earlier than including vermicelli. This leads to a thicker, creamier pudding consistency than kheer.
In India, many candy puddings are made with rice or vermicelli throughout festive events. I’ve listed some widespread Indian pageant pudding recipes beneath.
Make Sheer Khurma
Prep Dry Fruits, Dates and Nuts
1. Collect and rinse the dried fruits and nuts aside from chironji (charoli seeds). In order for you, you’ll be able to rinse them too. Later drain all of the water.
You will want the next dried fruits:
- 30 pistachios (roughly 3 tablespoons or 20 grams)
- 20 almonds (roughly 20 grams)
- 16 to 18 cashews (roughly 20 grams)
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 4 massive or 8 small to medium-sized dates (about 100 grams)
2. Chop the dates and measure. It’s best to get about ½ cup of chopped dates.
3. Subsequent chop all of the nuts – pistachios, almonds, cashews and likewise the raisins.
4. Break 40 grams skinny and positive wheat vermicelli to shorter strands. It’s best to get 1 cup of damaged or chopped vermicelli strands.
5. Warmth a heavy bottomed skillet or pan or kadai (wok). When the pan turns into sizzling, decrease the warmth. Add the vermicelli. Stirring typically, dry roast the vermicelli on low warmth.
NOTE: If utilizing pre-roasted vermicelli, then skip this step of roasting them.
6. Roast till golden and put aside in a plate or tray. You may also decide to roast the vermicelli in ghee when you choose.
Sauté Nuts, Dates and Dry Fruits
7. In one other skillet or frying pan, warmth 3 tablespoons ghee.
8. Add chopped dry fruits and nuts (chopped dates, raisins, cashews, almonds, pistachios. Additionally add 2 tablespoons chironji seeds.
Chironji seeds give a pleasant nutty texture, however you’ll be able to select to omit them if they don’t seem to be accessible to you.
9. Stirring typically, sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on a low warmth.
10. In the meantime warmth 1 litre entire milk in the identical kadai (wok) or skillet through which you roasted the vermicelli. Stir the milk a number of occasions whereas it turns into sizzling and involves a boil.
11. Let the milk come to boil on medium-low to medium warmth.
12. Decrease the warmth and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes till the milk barely thickens. Stir the milk at intervals.
Cook dinner Vermicelli
13. When the milk has thickened barely, add the roasted vermicelli.
14. Add 4 tablespoons sugar (or as required) to the pan. Combine very effectively.
15. Simmer till the vermicelli are cooked and are softened. It will take about 8 to 10 minutes. The milk may even thicken and scale back by the point the vermicelli cooks.
16. The vermicelli must be properly cooked and softened.
Make Sheer Khurma
17. When the vermicelli has softened and cooked effectively, add the flavorings: 15 to 18 saffron strands and 1 teaspoon cardamom powder.
18. Add your complete combination of sautéed dry fruits, dates, nuts, and ghee from the pan.
19. Swap off the warmth and blend effectively. The chopped dates will thicken the consistency extra. Test the style and add extra sugar if wanted.
If the sheer khurma is If too thick to your liking, add ¼ to ½ cup sizzling milk. Bear in mind so as to add sugar as wanted while you add extra milk.
Serve sheer khurma sizzling or heat in particular person bowls. Sheer khurma will thicken because it cools, so permit it to cook dinner to the consistency you need.
20. Lastly add 1 tablespoon rose water and blend to mix. As a substitute of rose water, you should use kewra water (pandanus water).
21. Serve sheer khurma sizzling, heat or chilled. You may also garnish sheer khurma with rose water, saffron strands, rose petals or powdered cardamom whereas serving.
Understand that the consistency of sheer khurma thickens because it cools. So be certain that to maintain a lighter flowing consistency when the khurma is sizzling.
Sugar and its replacements
As a result of the dates usher in a whole lot of sweetness in sheer khurma, you don’t want so as to add a whole lot of sugar to this recipe. However you’ll be able to all the time add extra in accordance with your style desire. You may also decide to skip it solely – simply improve the quantity of dates.
If you wish to substitute sugar with another sweetener, be happy. Jaggery, palm sugar, coconut sugar, maple syrup or agave are all stable choices.
TIP: If you’re including jaggery, palm sugar, or coconut sugar, observe these steps: First, cook dinner the sheer khurma utterly. Then take away the pan from the stovetop and set it apart for 4 to five minutes. Add chopped jaggery, palm sugar, or coconut sugar in accordance with the sweetness you favor.
Knowledgeable Ideas & Non-obligatory Variations
- Vermicelli: The kind of vermicelli added in sheer khurma are the skinny, lengthy, and positive strands of entire wheat vermicelli. These have lengthy strands, so it’s important to break them earlier than roasting. Historically sheer khurma is all the time made with wheat vermicelli. If in case you can not supply this number of vermicelli, decide to make use of rice vermicelli. However the texture and taste will likely be totally different.
- Nuts & Dry Fruits: Sheer khurma recipe has loads of nuts and dry fruits added in it. If you’re allergic to some nuts, you’ll be able to simply skip them. You may also add your individual favourite mixture of nuts to it.
- Dates: Use any good high quality delicate dates; Medjool and Ajwa are good selections. If there are seeds within the dates, then chop them and discard the seeds. Dry dates (referred to as kharik) will also be added. If utilizing dry dates, then soak them in water for a number of hours till they soften. Add the dates while you add the roasted nuts and ghee.
- Chironji: Questioning what chironji is? These are small brown-colored seeds with a nutty taste and style. In India, we simply get them in any grocery store. They’re often known as ‘charoli‘. In case you don’t have these seeds, then merely skip them. Make sure to use contemporary chironji as they go rancid in a short time.
- Coconut: You’ll be able to add about 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut (unsweetened) to this recipe.
- Condensed milk or Khoya: For a richer style and taste, you’ll be able to add ¼ cup grated khoya (mawa) to the milk. If utilizing sweetened condensed milk, add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons (or as wanted), skipping the sugar solely within the recipe.
- Flavorings: Whereas cardamom powder and rose water are the popular flavorings, you’ll be able to optionally add 12 to fifteen saffron strands. Swap rose water with pandanus water (kewra water). Combine the saffron strands in a number of tablespoons of heat milk for that stunning yellow colour within the sheer khorma. Add this saffron-infused milk while you add the sautéed dates, nuts and dried fruit combination.
Within the Persian language, “sheer khurma” means milk with dates, however principally it’s a creamy and wealthy pudding made with vermicelli, milk, dates and lot of nuts.
Certain! Simply be aware that the pudding will proceed to thicken because it cools. In case you choose a runnier consistency, reheat the pudding and skinny the consistency barely by including some milk, previous to serving. Sheer Khorma will final for a number of days within the fridge.
Actually! Merely swap refined coconut oil or any impartial oil for the ghee and go for full fats coconut milk or almond milk as an alternative of dairy.
Simply be aware that the ultimate product could have the flavour of coconut or almond when you go for this methodology!
And warmth the coconut milk or almond milk gently and don’t boil it. Additionally keep in mind to cook dinner the vermicelli in water as an alternative of the plant-based milks.
Later drain the cooked vermicelli and add it to the almond or coconut milk and gently simmer till sizzling.
Please make sure you fee this recipe within the recipe card beneath you probably have made it. For extra vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or observe me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Sheer Khurma Recipe
Sheer khurma is a wealthy creamy pudding made with vermicelli, milk, dates, nuts, dry fruits, sugar and ghee. ‘Sheer’ means milk and ‘khurma’ refers to dates in Persian language.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Whole Time 30 minutes
For roasting dry fruits and nuts
Extra Sheer Khurma Substances
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
In a wok (kadai), frying pan or skillet, dry roast the vermicelli stirring typically on a low warmth till golden and put aside. In order for you then you’ll be able to roast the vermicelli in ghee additionally.
In the identical pan, warmth ghee and add chopped dry fruits, dates, nuts and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes stirring typically on a low warmth.
Making sheer khurma
Warmth milk in a heavy saucepan or pot or kadai (wok) on medium-low to medium warmth. Let the milk come to a boil. Stir a number of occasions whereas the milk heats and involves a boil.
Decrease the warmth and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes till the milk barely thickens. Stir typically whereas the milk reduces and thickens.
Add the roasted vermicelli and sugar to the milk. Combine effectively to mix.
Simmer on low to medium-low warmth till vermicelli are cooked and have softened. It will take about 8 to 10 minutes on a low warmth.
The milk may even thicken and scale back in quantity.
Add the cardamom powder and saffron strands.
Additionally add your complete sauteed dry fruits, nuts and ghee combination to the milk.
Swap off the warmth and blend effectively.
Test the style and add extra sugar if required.
Lastly add rose water and provides a stir.
Serve the sheer khurma sizzling, heat or chilled.
You may also garnish sheer khurma with saffron strands or rose petals or slivered nuts.
Scaling & Storage
Retailer any leftovers in a coated bowl or container within the fridge for a few days.
Sheer Khurma will thicken because it cools. So preserve that is thoughts and cook dinner it to your most popular consistency.
Make a big batch of this recipe simply to feed a crowd.
- Vermicelli: Use the skinny, lengthy and positive entire wheat vermicelli. These have lengthy strands, so you’ll want to break them earlier than roasting.
- Nuts & Dry Fruits: If you’re allergic to some nuts, you’ll be able to simply skip them. You’ll be able to even add your favourite nuts and dried fruits.
- Dates: Use any good high quality dates. If there are seeds within the dates, then chop them and discard the seeds. Dry dates (referred to as kharik) will also be added. If utilizing dry dates, then soak them in water for a number of hours till they soften. Chop and take away the seeds. Then add them when the vermicelli has softened.
- Chironji: These are small brown coloured seeds with a nutty taste and style. They’re additionally referred to as as ‘charoli’. Skip, when you don’t have these seeds. Use contemporary chironji seeds as they go rancid very quick.
- Coconut: Add about 2 tablespoons of unsweetened desiccated coconut.
- Condensed milk or Khoya: For a richer style and taste, add ¼ cup grated khoya (mawa) to the milk. If utilizing sweetened condensed milk, add 1 to 1.5 tablespoons (or as wanted) skipping the sugar solely within the recipe.
- Sugar and its replacements: You really want so as to add much less sugar because the dates add a whole lot of sweetness to the dish. However you’ll be able to all the time add extra in accordance with your style desire. For well being causes, you’ll be able to skip sugar solely – simply improve the quantity of dates. You’ll be able to even add jaggery, palm sugar, or coconut sugar. Make the sheer khurma first. Then take away the pan from stovetop and set it apart for 4 to five minutes. Add chopped jaggery, palm sugar, coconut sugar in accordance with the sweetness you favor.
- Flavorings: My recipe has cardamom powder, saffron and rose water. However you’ll be able to omit saffron. For a beautiful mild yellow coloured sheer khurma, soak 12 to fifteen saffron strands in heat milk for some minutes and add this combination to the sheer khurma while you add the sautéed dates and nuts combination. You may also use pandanus water (kewra water) as an alternative of rose water.
Sheer Khurma Recipe
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 440 Energy from Fats 180
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 7g44%
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 7g
Ldl cholesterol 23mg8%
Vitamin A 17IU0%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 3mg15%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 1mg1%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin Ok 3µg3%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 34µg9%
* P.c Every day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This sheer khurma recipe publish from the archives (November 2013) has been republished and up to date on 29 April 2022.