With 9.3 million followers on TikTok, meals content material creators Slawek Kalkraut and Krzysztof Szymanski of Males With The Pot are altering the dialog about out of doors cooking. Collectively, the 2 Polish natives have carved a singular area within the huge panorama of social media meals content material. With the majestic background of their adopted dwelling in Northern Eire, Males With The Pot options some really charming meals content material, creating recipes that appear unfathomable for campfire cooking, starting from apple pies to handmade pasta, all cooked over a wooden fireplace.
Now, the 2 have created a brand new venture — a model new cookbook,. The brand new cookbook options all of their most well-known and viral recipes, together with useful ideas and methods for mastering the artwork of outside cooking.
With such an enormous library of meals content material, why did the Males With The Pot creators write a cookbook? Movies, whereas nice, could be exhausting to cook dinner together with as a result of there’s no ingredient checklist. The video edits on social media are additionally quick, compounding the issue for followers keen to duplicate these recipes. “With the cookbook, it’s completely different. We labored with an entire staff to verify the recipes we shared are accessible,” mentioned Kalkraut and Szymanski.
For many individuals, out of doors cooking is straightforward, consisting principally of a parade of grilled meats or reheated soup. However for Males With The Pot, this atmosphere is an ideal place to experiment and indulge. In fact, not all of their creations are profitable on the primary attempt.
“Now we have numerous errors and makes an attempt that don’t make it to the movies!” mentioned Kalkraut and Szymanski. “This might be a bread not rising sufficient or the various instances it takes to toss an onion and lower it coming down on the knife. However we keep it up. Typically we’re out within the woods for 12 hours simply making an attempt to get one thing proper for the brief video you see.”
Like their video content material, the recipes within the cookbook are designed to be cooked outdoors over a wooden fireplace. The brand new cookbook is bold, showcasing a lot of their greatest and most artistic recipes equivalent to Forest Fried Hen and Pastry-Wrapped Salmon. The cookbook additionally goes past recipes, elaborating on the out of doors methods equivalent to building a fire and different useful out of doors ideas. All of that is performed in an effort to get folks experimenting and comfy with cooking outside. The last word purpose for this cookbook is to present folks the arrogance to attempt extra fascinating out of doors recipes. Their greatest recommendation? Don’t be afraid of failing.
“Our greatest piece of recommendation is that this: Attempt it!” mentioned Kalkraut and Szymanski. “If you find yourself with family and friends cooking outside, the meals is certain to be scrumptious even when it’s not excellent. Belief us, in case you are surrounded by timber and a hearth is crackling, everybody may have an excellent meal.”
“Zapiekanka. You possibly can’t name this by every other identify. It’s Polish avenue meals at its most interesting — and an excellent hangover meal! We name for crimson cheddar cheese, which is an aged English cheese referred to as Purple Leicester. If you happen to can’t discover it, select any aged cheddar. Whereas you’ll find rosemary salt within the grocery store, it’s very straightforward to make at dwelling with a meals processor.”
Prep Time: 1 hour
Complete Time: 2 1/2 hours
For Bread Dough:
- 2 heaping cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- Scant 2 teaspoons energetic dry or immediate yeast
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons heat water
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon rosemary salt or desk salt
- Melted butter for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 1/2 cups white or brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 recent chiles (crimson and inexperienced), finely chopped (seeds retained for extra warmth)
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon rosemary salt or desk salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 3 1/2 ounces crimson cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (7-ounce) block mozzarella cheese, lower lengthwise into 8 or 9 “sticks”
- Chopped recent chives for garnish
For Rosemary Salt:
- 1/4 cup packed recent rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup coarse sea salt
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- Put together your fireplace for low or oblique warmth.
To Make Rosemary Salt:
- Pulse 1/4 cup packed recent rosemary leaves with 1/4 cup coarse sea salt about 10 instances, till the consistency of damp sand.
- Switch to a bowl and stir in 3/4 cup kosher salt. Combine properly.
- Unfold on a baking sheet to dry for a pair hours earlier than transferring to an 8-ounce jar for storage.
To Make Dough:
- In a big bowl, stir collectively the flour and yeast. Stir within the heat water, simply till the flour is moistened (it gained’t all be mixed). Create a properly within the center and add the milk, butter, and rosemary salt. Mix the combination, then knead till a clean dough ball kinds, 8 to 10 minutes. Return the dough to the bowl, cowl with one other bowl, and set in a heat place (equivalent to close to the campfire) to let the dough rise.
- In the meantime, prep the filling components. Set a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over low warmth/oblique warmth.
- Mud a slicing board with flour and place the dough on it. Kind the dough right into a log the size of the underside of your skillet. Place the dough within the skillet, drizzle it liberally with melted butter, and brush the dough to totally coat. Cowl with an inverted skillet and prime with a big handful of coals (or shut the grill lid).
- Prepare dinner till the bread is golden and cooked by, 30 to 35 minutes, replenishing the coals as wanted. Switch the bread to a slicing board.
To Make Filling:
- Pour the oil into a big cast-iron skillet and place it over low warmth.
- When sizzling, add the onion and cook dinner till softened. Add the mushrooms and cook dinner till calmly browned. Add the chiles and cook dinner till softened.
- Stir within the mustard, rosemary salt, and lemon pepper.
To Assemble and Serve:
- Halve the bread lengthwise, making a prime half and backside half. Divide the filling between the halves. Set the halves, aspect by aspect, in a clear cast-iron skillet over very low or oblique warmth.
- Sprinkle evenly with the cheddar. Lay the mozzarella sticks diagonally over each halves of bread in a crisscross sample (as if the bread had been one giant piece). Cowl with an inverted skillet and prime with coals (or shut the lid). Prepare dinner till the cheeses are melted and browned, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Switch your entire melty loaf as one unit to the slicing board. Sprinkle with chives, then lower crosswise 3 times, making six items.
Pork stomach and whisky — collectively eventually! This recipe happened as a result of we all the time needed to make pork stomach, and we needed to make a recipe with whisky. It’s so simple as that. Whisky may not be a typical ingredient in sticky pork stomach, however we love how the flavour blends with the ginger and honey within the sauce.
Prep Time: quarter-hour
Complete Time: 2 hours
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2-inch piece recent ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 1 recent crimson chile, finely diced (seeds retained for extra warmth)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 (2 1/4-pound) slab pork stomach lower into 1-inch cubes
- 1 2/3 cups whisky
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Chopped recent parsley or snipped recent chives for garnish
- Put together your fireplace for medium-low warmth.
- Use a mortar and pestle to mash the garlic, ginger, chile, peppercorns, and salt right into a paste. Pour within the oil, honey, and soy sauce and stir to mix. (If you happen to don’t have a mortar and pestle, mix the components in a meals processor and pulse just a few instances.) Put aside.
- Place a big cast-iron skillet over medium-low warmth. When sizzling, add the pork. Prepare dinner till browned on all sides and the fats begins to render.
- Fastidiously pour within the whisky — it should seemingly ignite! (If you happen to’re utilizing a gasoline grill, or this in any other case worries you, take away the skillet from the flame earlier than including the whiskey, then return it to the warmth.) Proceed to burn off the whisky, then pour within the garlic-ginger sauce. Prepare dinner, uncovered, till the sauce is thick and shiny and the pork is cooked by, 60 to 90 minutes.
- Serve garnished with sesame seeds and recent parsley.