Coconut Milk Rice is a flavorful and attractive pulao that includes rice, onions, coconut milk, blended greens, and flavored with fragrant spices and herbs. The dish is straightforward to make, however has a stunning mélange of flavors that may be savored simply as it’s or with a sturdy curry, a salad or some other facet of your alternative. What’s finest is the truth that it’s not simply vegetarian, however a vegan-friendly recipe too. Finest for these occasions, whenever you don’t actually wish to go intricate on cooking but wish to take pleasure in a deliciously healthful meal.
About This Coconut Milk Rice
I typically go for pulao and different rice-based dishes since they’re fast and simple to organize. The principle distinction between this pulao and the others that I’ve posted is the addition of coconut milk. You’ll be able to simply name it because the USP of this dish.
One other scrumptious rice recipe made with coconut milk is that this Brinji Rice, which is from the delicacies of Tamil Nadu. Many variants of coconut milk rice preparations are made within the western coastal and southern elements of India. They fluctuate from spiced and savory to sweeter variations.
The aroma, taste and texture that the addition of coconut milk together with the choicest of spices convey on this pulao is exclusive. Thus, making it a one-pot rice dish of star high quality. You’ll expertise the distinction between this and the common pulao variants when you attempt it. So, whenever you wish to add a fragile creamy richness and a singular taste to your meals, go for coconut milk.
To strengthen the dietary quotient of this pulao, I’ve additionally added an array of veggies in it. However that is fully your alternative and you may keep away from including greens. It’s also possible to decide and select which greens to be added in line with what your palate likes.
You’ll be able to serve the Coconut Milk Rice with a fast salad, raita or perhaps a sturdy shorba gravy. This rice primarily based coconut pilaf additionally pairs rather well with a dal fry or dal tadka.
make Coconut Milk Rice
1. Rinse 1 cup basmati rice or 200 grams basmati rice very properly in water, until the water runs away from the starch. Soak the rice in enough water for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, drain all of the water and set the soaked rice apart.
2. When the rice is soaking, prep the greens by chopping them. Slice 1 medium to giant onion thinly (1 cup thinly sliced onions). Crush 1 inch ginger, 2 to three garlic cloves and 1 inexperienced chili (about 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chillies) in a mortar-pestle.
Sauté Spices, Aromatics
3. Warmth 2 tablespoons oil in a 2 litre stove-top stress cooker and add the next complete spices:
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 3 to 4 inexperienced cardamoms
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 single strand of mace
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
Fry the spices on low warmth until they splutter and are aromatic.
4. Now add the sliced onions and 5 to six curry leaves. Should you do not need curry leaves, then add 1 medium sized tej patta (Indian bay leaf) whenever you fry the entire spices in step 3 above.
5. Stir and blend very properly.
6. Sauté stirring typically on low to medium-low warmth until the onions flip mild golden or are translucent.
7. Then add the crushed ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Stir and sauté for about 10 to 12 seconds or until the uncooked aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
8. Now add 10 to 12 cashews, which have been chopped. At this level you can even add about 1 tablespoon of golden raisins in the event you like
9. Stir and blend once more.
Add Veggies, Rice, Coconut Milk
10. Now add the blended greens. You’ll be able to add ¾ to 1 cup of any blended greens, both recent or frozen. I added ½ cup inexperienced peas and ⅓ cup chopped french beans.
Within the recipe video I’ve additionally added carrots and potatoes along with the inexperienced peas and french beans.
11. Stir and sauté the greens for a minute.
12. Then add the soaked basmati rice.
13. Gently combine and stir the basmati rice with the remainder of the components.
14. Now pour ¾ cup of thick coconut milk. It’s also possible to add 1 cup thick coconut milk. Right here I’ve used canned coconut milk, however you need to use first extract of do-it-yourself coconut milk.
15. Add 1 to 1.25 cups water. If utilizing 1 cup of coconut milk, then add 0.75 to 1 cup water.
Bear in mind so as to add the correct quantity of liquids relying on the standard and sort of rice you’re utilizing. For 1 cup of basmati rice, you should add about 1.75 to 2 cups of the liquids.
Prepare dinner Coconut Milk Pulao
16. Stir properly. Then season with salt as required. Style the inventory, it ought to really feel barely salty.
Cowl and stress prepare dinner Coconut Milk Rice for 1 to 2 whistles or for 8 to 9 minutes on medium to medium-high warmth. I stress cooked for two whistles.
17. When the stress settles down naturally within the cooker, open the lid and gently fluff the rice.
18. Garnish with some chopped coriander or mint leaves. Serve Coconut Milk Rice with salad, raita, pickle or a shorba gravy.
- Be sure that to rinse the aged basmati rice until the water runs away from the starch. Should you don’t have basmati rice, you need to use any number of non-sticky short-grained or medium-grained rice.
- You’ll be able to add tej patta (Indian bay leaf) in case you don’t have curry leaves.
- Including cashews or raisins whereas making the pulao is elective. You’ll be able to skip them if you don’t want them.
- You’ll be able to skip including the greens on this pulao or add greens of your alternative – like cauliflower, inexperienced peas, carrot, bell pepper, child corn, candy corn, broccoli, and so on.
- The recipe will be made with each canned coconut milk or do-it-yourself coconut milk. For do-it-yourself coconut milk, use the primary extract or the primary press of the extracted coconut milk.
- As a substitute of constructing the coconut milk pulao in a stove-top stress cooker, you can even make the recipe within the Immediate pot by including water as wanted. It’s also possible to prepare dinner the rice in a pan on the stove-top.
Coconut Milk Rice (Coconut Milk Pulao)
Coconut Milk Rice is a light, aromatic pulao made with coconut milk, onions, herbs, spices and blended greens. What’s finest is the truth that it’s not simply vegetarian, however a vegan-friendly recipe too.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 40 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse basmati rice very properly in water until the water runs away from the starch. Soak the rice in sufficient water for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, drain the rice and hold apart.
When the rice is soaking, prep the greens by chopping them. Slice 1 medium to giant onion thinly (1 cup thinly sliced onions). Crush 1 inch ginger + 2 to three garlic cloves + 1 inexperienced chili in a mortar-pestle. Put aside.
Making coconut milk rice
Warmth oil in a 2 litre stress cooker and add the entire spices – cloves, inexperienced cardamoms, cinnamon, mace strand and cumin seeds. Fry the spices until they splutter and turn out to be aromatic on a low warmth.
Now add the thinly sliced onions and curry leaves. Should you do not need curry leaves, then add 1 medium sized tej patta whenever you fry the entire spices. Stir very properly.
Sauté until the onions flip mild golden or translucent stirring typically on a low to medium-low warmth.
Then add the crushed ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Stir and sauté for 10 to 12 seconds until the uncooked aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
Now add cashews, which have been chopped. Cashews are elective and you may skip them. Stir once more.
Now add the blended greens. You’ll be able to add any blended greens that you just like. I added inexperienced peas and chopped french beans.
Stir and sauté the greens for a minute.
Then add the soaked basmati rice.
Gently combine and stir the basmati rice with the remainder of the components.
Cooking coconut milk rice
Now pour ¾ cup of thick coconut milk. It’s also possible to add 1 cup thick coconut milk.
Add 1 to 1.25 cups water. Stir and blend properly. If utilizing 1 cup coconut milk, then add 0.75 to 1 cup water.
Then season with salt. Style the inventory , it ought to really feel barely salty.
Cowl and stress prepare dinner for 1 to 2 whistles or for 8 to 9 minutes on medium to medium-high warmth.
When the stress settles down naturally, then solely open the lid and gently fluff the rice.
Garnish with some chopped coriander or mint leaves. Serve coconut milk rice with salad, raita, pickle or a biryani shorba gravy.
- Use aged basmati rice for the very best texture and taste. Any Indian number of non-sticky short-grained or medium-grained rice additionally can be utilized within the recipe.
- Be at liberty to incorporate vegetable of your alternative or you may skip them altogether.
- Bear in mind so as to add the correct quantity of liquids (each coconut milk and water) relying on the standard and sort of rice can be utilizing. On this recipe, for 1 cup of basmati rice, you should add about 1.75 to 2 cups of the liquids.
- This recipe will be simply doubled or tripled to make a bigger serving. It’s also possible to halve the recipe.
Coconut Milk Rice (Coconut Milk Pulao)
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 198
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 12g75%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 9g
Vitamin A 346IU7%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 21mg105%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 52mg63%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Okay 9µg9%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 239µg60%
* P.c Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food regimen.
This coconut milk rice submit from the weblog archives first printed in October 2015 has been republished and up to date on 15 February 2022.