I at all times get pleasure from a very good alliteration, particularly once I discover one as tasty as this Methi Mushroom. This deliciously creamy methi curry is made utilizing button mushrooms, fenugreek leaves, curd, herbs & spices for a stunning vegetarian tackle a North Indian basic.
About This Methi Mushroom
My methi mushroom is a basic adaptation of the well-known North Indian hen dish often known as methi murgh masala. The recipe is impressed from Jiggs Kalra’s guide “Prashad – Cooking With Indian Masters.”
This finger licking curry is ideal for placing on celebration menus or for celebrating particular events. It tastes unimaginable and is an actual crowd pleaser, even for our omnivorous pals! It can be made vegan pleasant by swapping in a plant-based curd.
This restaurant model dish could be very simple to make, requiring solely persistence and time quite than an outlined set of kitchen abilities. All the identical, you must notice that that is positively not a curry in a rush.
To make this methi curry recipe, the mushrooms are first marinated in yogurt after which cooked within the fragrant masala. The methi (fenugreek leaves) offers a stupendous aroma to the dish.
As a substitute of contemporary methi, you may also make this dish with dry fenugreek leaves (Kasuri methi). The ratios are given within the recipe card beneath.
This mushroom methi curry goes very nicely with any type of flatbread or carb-y facet to soak it up; Roti, Naan, Paratha, and even Jeera Rice are all glorious accompaniments which can be equally simple to execute.
So for those who’re nonetheless a kitchen novice however wish to make one thing actually spectacular on your family members, give this methi mushroom curry a attempt (and tell us the way it seems within the feedback beneath)!
How To Make Methi Mushroom
1. Rinse 200 to 250 gram mushrooms beneath working water to rid them of any mud, then drain the water very nicely.
2. Chop the mushrooms into quarters and maintain apart.
3. In a bowl, combine collectively ¼ cup of curd (yogurt) and a pinch of salt; beat the curd until easy.
NOTE: Please use full fats contemporary curd or selfmade curd produced from entire milk in order that it doesn’t cut up or separate whereas cooking.
4. Add the curd to the chopped mushrooms.
5. Coat the mushrooms very nicely with the crushed curd. Cowl and marinate for 30 to 40 minutes at room temperature.
6. In the meantime, decide the fenugreek leaves from their stems. If utilizing contemporary methi leaves, you’ll want round 1 cup, or you may also use 1 to 2 tablespoons of dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi).
7. Soak in water for a minute or so, in order that any dust clinging to the leaves settles down on the backside.
NOTE: This isn’t mandatory if utilizing kasuri methi.
8. Drain and discard the water.
9. Soak the methi leaves for a second time.
10. Now drain and rinse the methi leaves nicely beneath working water until the leaves are clear.
11. Drain them in a colander.
12. Chop methi leaves finely. Preserve apart.
13. Measure and maintain all of the elements prepared.
Make Curry Base
14. Warmth 3 tablespoons impartial flavored oil or ghee in a pan or kadai.
15. Add the entire garam masala or spices as listed beneath:
- 2 to three inexperienced cardamom pods
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
- 2 to three cloves
- 1 to 2 single strands of mace
16. Fry the spices on low warmth until the oil turns into aromatic and the spices splutter, being cautious to not burn them.
17. Then add ½ cup chopped onions.
18. Combine very nicely and start to sauté the onions on a low warmth.
19. Stir at intervals as wanted. Be affected person as onions take time to get browned.
20. Sauté till the onions start to show golden.
21. Instantly add 1 to 2 chopped inexperienced chilies or about 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chillies and ½ tablespoon ginger-garlic paste.
22. Combine very nicely and sauté for a minute.
23. Then add 3 medium-sized chopped tomatoes or about 1.25 to 1.5 cups chopped tomatoes.
24. Combine nicely and sauté until the tomatoes grow to be smooth and mushy.
25. Carry on stirring the masala.
26. Add all of the dry spice powders as listed beneath
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (floor coriander)
- ½ teaspoon crimson chili powder
27. Stir and blend very nicely.
28. Sauté the tomatoes till they soften and oil leaves the edges of the chunky masala combination.
Make Mushroom Methi Curry
29. Decrease the warmth and add the marinated mushrooms with the yogurt.
30. Subsequent add the chopped methi leaves (or dry methi leaves).
31. Combine nicely.
32. Add about ¼ to ½ cup of water.
33. Additionally add salt to style, protecting in thoughts that some salt has been added throughout the marination course of.
34. Stir and blend nicely.
35. Cowl the pan or kadai and simmer until the mushrooms are cooked. This will take about 8 to 10 minutes on a low to medium-low warmth.
36. Test sometimes; if the consistency seems dry then add some extra water.
37. As soon as the mushrooms are cooked and the curry has a medium consistency, then test the style and season as wanted.
38. Garnish methi mushroom with some coriander leaves.
39. Serve methi mushroom scorching with any Indian flatbread of your selection, or cumin rice in case you are gluten-free.
Completely! Button mushrooms are broadly accessible, however be happy to substitute quartered child bella/cremini mushrooms, shiitakes, or portobellos. Please notice that some forms of mushrooms ought to have their stems eliminated earlier than chopping, as they’re stiff and woody.
Completely. Use both drained diced tomatoes, or use entire tomatoes that you simply chop your self.
You may inform that the mushrooms are finished whenever you see oil specks floating on the highest of the gravy; this takes about 8 to 10 minutes after including the mushrooms to the masala base.
When including yogurt or curd to any dish, you’ll want to decrease the flame and stir briskly whereas including. Additionally, make certain that you might be utilizing contemporary, full-fat curd – if the yogurt is a bit previous or is a low-fat selection, it’s extra prone to cut up.
Certain! I counsel steaming the peas individually and stirring them in on the finish, as peas and mushrooms prepare dinner at totally different charges.
Generally methi may be bitter, however the place I reside this isn’t the norm. Subsequent time you make the recipe, sprinkle some salt on the methi leaves and allow them to sit for about 15 to twenty minutes. After letting them relaxation, squeeze the leaves and the bitterness will probably be launched.
Nope! Merely skip that step and proceed with the recipe as written.
Extra Tasty Curry Recipes
Methi Mushroom | Mushroom Methi Curry
Methi mushroom is a scrumptious vegetarian curry made with button mushrooms, fenugreek leaves, curd, aromatics, tomatoes, herbs and spices. Serve with roti, rice or naan for a hearty meal.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Prepare dinner Time 25 minutes
Marinating Time 30 minutes
Whole Time 1 hr 10 minutes
Forestall your display from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Rinse the mushrooms in working water a number of instances and do away with the mud from them. Drain all of the water very nicely.
Chop them and maintain apart.
In a bowl take ¼ cup curd and a pinch of salt to it. Beat the curd with a small wired whisk until easy. Use full fats contemporary curd in order that the curd doesn’t cut up whereas cooking.
Add the mushrooms to the curd and marinate for 30 to 40 minutes.
In the meantime pluck the fenugreek leaves from their stems.
In a bowl soak the leaves in water for 4 to five minutes in order that the mud and many others from the leaves settles down on the backside.
Throw the water and once more soak the leaves for 1 to 2 minutes.
Now rinse the methi leaves nicely beneath working water until the leaves are clear and the mud particles are usually not there.
Drain them in a colander. Chop the methi leaves finely.
Making methi mushroom
Warmth oil or ghee in a pan or kadai (wok).
Add the entire spices – black cardamom, cinnamon, inexperienced cardamoms, cloves, tej patta and mace.
Fry the spices until the oil turns into aromatic and the spices splutter. Do not burn them. Fry spices on a low warmth.
Add onions and stirring usually sauté them on low to medium-low warmth until they start to get golden.
Be affected person as onions do take time to get browned. Preserve stirring the onions in between.
As soon as the onions start to get golden brown, add chopped inexperienced chilies and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté for a minute on low warmth.
Now add the tomatoes. Sauté them on low to medium-low warmth until they grow to be smooth and mushy. Carry on stirring the masala base.
Add all of the dry spice powders – turmeric, coriander and crimson chili powder. Combine nicely.
Then sauté stirring usually until oil leaves from the edges of the entire masala combination.
Decrease the warmth and add the marinated mushrooms.
Additionally add the chopped methi leaves or dry methi leaves (kasuri methi). Combine once more.
Add about ¼ to ½ cup of water. Additionally add salt as per style. Do needless to say some salt has been added to the marination.
Stir, cowl the pan or kadai and simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes on low warmth until the mushrooms are tender and cooked.
Do test in between and if the consistency seems dry then add some extra water.
As soon as the mushrooms are cooked and the curry has a medium consistency then test the style and add salt if required.
Garnish methi mushroom with some chopped coriander leaves.
Serve methi mushroom scorching or heat with roti or naan.
- Use contemporary and full fats yogurt within the recipe or else there are possibilities of it getting spilt within the gravy.
- You may cut back or improve the quantity of crimson chili powder, inexperienced chilies and ginger-garlic paste as per your desire.
- As a substitute of oil, you may also use ghee.
- Be at liberty to make use of different forms of edible mushrooms like contemporary shiitake or cremini or portobello.
Methi Mushroom | Mushroom Methi Curry
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 108
% Every day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Polyunsaturated Fats 1g
Monounsaturated Fats 9g
Ldl cholesterol 2mg1%
Vitamin A 864IU17%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin B12 1µg17%
Vitamin C 20mg24%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 5mg33%
Vitamin Ok 9µg9%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 28µg7%
* % Every day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie weight-reduction plan.
This Methi Mushroom publish from the weblog archives first revealed in August 2012 has been republished and up to date on 21 January 2022.