Maa Chole Ki Dal recipe is a staple curried combined lentils dish made in each Punjabi family. If you happen to love lentils, you’ll love this hearty, wholesome dish that has a novel identify and made with primarily two lentils – chana dal (cut up skinned bengal gram) and urad dal (cut up black gram with pores and skin). It makes for a scrumptious and filling meal when served with a facet of roti, paratha or steamed basmati rice.
Whats with the Title?
Once I first heard the identify, I used to be amused. I didn’t even know that such a lentil recipe exists with such a reputation. Let me break it down for you.
- ‘Maa or Maah‘ right here means Black Gram or Urad Dal.
- ‘Chole’ is Bengal Gram or Chana Dal.
So In Punjabi we name this combined lentils dish as “maa chole ki dal” or “maa choliyan di dal“.
Many scrumptious Indian dal recipes are made by combining two or extra dals. Instance Rajasthani Panchmel Dal or Gujarati Trevti Dal.
This Punjabi dal is yet another superb instance of getting ready a flavorful dal recipe by combining the 2 lentils, which I’ve talked about earlier.
Each the lentils are cut up. However the black gram has their black skins on.
The top result’s a easy dal with a creamy texture from the black gram and a delicate nutty sweetness from the chana dal.
About This Maa Chole ki Dal
This maa chole ki dal is minimally spiced. We don’t over spice this dal with spices, however do use a good quantity of onion, ginger, garlic and inexperienced chilies.
They do add some depth to the dal by way of style and flavors. In order that the dal doesn’t develop into bland.
When you have ever eaten meals in gurudwaras or langars, then this mah chole ki dal will remind you of the dal served in gurudwaras. It tastes just too good.
This mah choleyan di daal is a filling dal and must be eaten sizzling with rice, roti or parathas. The dal can be very heavy.
I’ve discovered to make this dal from my mother-in-law, who has been making this manner for a few years. This can be a household favourite recipe that I’m sharing.
I normally first sauté the spices, onions, tomatoes after which add the lentils. Generally, my mother-in-law makes a one pot dal. She doesn’t sauté the substances however merely provides every little thing within the strain cooker with some butter or ghee and let the dal cook dinner.
You too can cook dinner mah chole ki dal in a pot. Solely that they may take an extended time to cook dinner. If cooking in a pot, then soak the dal for 45 minutes or 1 hour previous to cooking.
The amount of water must be adjusted when cooking in a pot. Be sure that the ultimate consistency of the dish isn’t watery or runny. This dal has a medium consistency. I like to recommend utilizing a thick bottomed pot, in order that the cooked dal doesn’t stick on the backside.
make Maa Chole Ki Dal
1. Choose and rinse ⅓ cup every of chana dal and cut up urad dal (with skins) in recent water a few occasions. Then soak each the lentils for half an hour in water. Later drain all of the water and set the lentils apart.
Just be sure you are utilizing recent lentils and they aren’t aged. They need to be of their shelf interval.
Sautéing spices, onions, tomatoes
2. In a 3 litre stovetop strain cooker, warmth 2 tablespoons of oil. You should utilize any neutral-flavored oil.
Splutter ½ teaspoon cumin seeds first on low warmth.
3. Then add ⅓ cup chopped onions.
5. Sauté onion till mild golden stirring typically on a medium-low warmth.
6. Add ½ teaspoon every of finely chopped ginger and garlic and ½ to 1 teaspoon chopped inexperienced chilies. Fry for about 15 to twenty seconds or till the uncooked aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
7. Then add ½ cup finely chopped tomatoes. Sauté stirring typically till the tomatoes develop into mushy and pulpy and also you see oil leaving the edges of the strain cooker.
8. Now add ¼ or ⅓ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon purple chili powder and 1 pinch of asafoetida (optionally available). Sauté for 4 to five seconds.
9. Then add the soaked lentils. Stir and blend nicely.
10. Pour 2.5 cups of water.
11. Add salt in response to style. Stir and blend once more.
12. Stress cook dinner for 8 to 9 whistles or 10 to 12 minutes on medium to medium-high warmth till each the lentils are softened and mushy.
When the strain settles down by itself within the cooker, then solely open the lid and examine the lentils.
13. If the lentils should not cooked utterly and the water has dried up, then add about ½ to 1 cup water and strain cook dinner for some extra time. Each the lentils ought to develop into mushy and mushy.
Open the lid when the strain settles down by itself. Then simmer the dal for some extra minutes until you get a easy consistency. If wanted you possibly can add some water if the dal appears to be like too thick.
The dal shouldn’t be watery or runny however have a medium consistency. Mash a couple of cooked lentils with the again of a spoon when the dal is simmering. Mashing some lentils helps in thickening the dal.
14. Lastly add ½ teaspoon garam masala powder. Stir and blend nicely. Style the dal and add extra of the spice powders and salt if wanted.
15. As soon as the lentils have cooked to your required consistency, add or garnish with 1 to 2 tablespoons of coriander leaves.
Serving and storage
Serve Maa Chole Ki Dal sizzling or heat with chapati, plain paratha or steamed rice. Retailer any leftover dal in a lined bowl or container within the fridge for a day.
This dal will thicken when cooling. Whereas reheating add some water and blend. Reheat the dal in a small pan and serve.
If you’re searching for extra Dal Recipes then do examine:
When you have made this recipe, please be sure you charge it within the recipe card beneath. Sign Up for my e-newsletter or you possibly can observe me on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter for extra vegetarian inspirations.
Maa Chole Di Dal
Maa Chole Ki Dal recipe is a staple curried combined lentils dish from the Punjabi delicacies. A hearty, wholesome, flavorful dish with a novel identify and made with two lentils.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook dinner Time 20 minutes
Complete Time 50 minutes
Stop your display screen from going darkish whereas making the recipe
Choose and rinse each the lentils in recent water a couple of occasions. Soak them in sufficient water for half-hour.
When you have time, you possibly can soak the dal for 45 minutes or extra for quicker cooking.
Later drain all of the water and set the soaked lentils apart.
Sautéing onions and tomatoes
In a 3-litre stovetop strain cooker, warmth oil. Add the cumin seeds and fry them till they crackle on low warmth.
Then add onions and sauté them till mild golden stirring typically on medium-low warmth.
Add the finely chopped ginger, garlic and inexperienced chilies.
Sauté for about 15 to twenty seconds or till the uncooked aroma of the ginger and garlic goes away.
Add the tomatoes and sauté stirring typically till the tomatoes develop into mushy and pulpy.
Now add the turmeric powder, purple chili powder, asafoetida and garam masala. Fry for 4 to five seconds.
Stress cooking lentils
Stir and strain cook dinner for 8 to 9 whistles or 10 to 12 minutes on medium to medium-high warmth till each the lentils are softened and mushy.
When the strain settles down by itself, then solely take away the lid and examine the lentils.
If they aren’t cooked utterly and the water has dried up, add about ½ to 1 cup water and strain cook dinner for some extra time. Each the lentils ought to develop into mushy and mushy.
Simmering lentils additional
Open the lid when the strain settles down by itself within the cooker.
Simmer the dal for some extra minutes till you get a easy medium consistency.
The dal shouldn’t be watery or runny.
Mash a couple of cooked lentils with the again of a spoon when the dal is simmering. This helps in thickening the dal. If wanted you possibly can add some water if the dal appears to be like too thick.
Test the seasonings and add extra of the spice powders and salt if required.
As soon as the lentils have cooked to your required consistency, add or garnish with coriander leaves.
Serving and storage
Serve the Maa Chole Ki Dal sizzling or heat with roti, paratha or steamed rice.
Refrigerate leftovers for a day solely in a lined container or bowl.
- Lentils: Be sure to make this dal with recent lentils. Keep away from aged lentils as they take plenty of time to cook dinner and likewise don’t style nearly as good as recent lentils.
- Soaking lentils: You’ll be able to select to skip soaking the lentils. Enhance the cooking time for un-soaked lentils. Nonetheless, I like to recommend to soak them for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Consistency: Maa chole ki dal has medium consistency. Don’t make it very thick or runny. The lentils may also thicken on cooling. In the event that they develop into too thick, add a little bit of water whereas reheating.
- Spicing: For a spicy dal, improve the quantity of inexperienced chillies and purple chilli powder.
- Gluten-free dal: Omit including asafoetida or use gluten-free asafoetida for a gluten-free model.
Maa Chole Di Dal
Quantity Per Serving
Energy 235 Energy from Fats 99
% Day by day Worth*
Saturated Fats 1g6%
Vitamin A 321IU6%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 1mg67%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 1mg59%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 1mg5%
Vitamin B6 1mg50%
Vitamin C 6mg7%
Vitamin E 4mg27%
Vitamin Okay 3µg3%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 8µg2%
* % Day by day Values are based mostly on a 2000 calorie food plan.
This Maa Chole ki Dal publish from the weblog archives first printed in July 2013 has been republished and up to date on 12 January 2022.