At Semiramide, a small trattoria in Melezzole, Umbria, delicate ribbons of tagliolini are served with aromatic native truffles. This positive reduce ensures the truffle taste will not be overpowered. Moreover, the cooked pasta is tossed with truffle-infused olive oil, deepening the flavour of this seasonal dish. Whereas it’s conventional to roll and reduce tagliolini by hand, be at liberty to swap out the rolling pin for a hand-crank pasta roller for pace if desired.
Featured in: “Searching for Truffles, High and Low, in Tuscany and Umbria.”
Tagliolini with Shaved Black Truffle
Delicate contemporary pasta in a heady, infused oil.
1 hour, 20 minutes
- 2⅓ cups (300 g) all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus extra for cooking the pasta
- 3 massive eggs
- ¼ cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium contemporary black truffle (about 1 oz.)
- Type the flour right into a mound and sprinkle the salt over it. Create a properly within the heart of the mound and crack the eggs into it. Utilizing a fork, gently beat the eggs, pulling in small quantities of flour till a shaggy dough begins to kind. Use a bench scraper to tug away any flour that is still unincorporated, then start kneading dough by hand, including a bit of flour as obligatory, to forestall sticking, till it’s easy, elastic, and agency, about 10 minutes. If the dough turns into tight and begins to tear earlier than it’s easy, cowl with a sheet of plastic wrap and put aside for 10 minutes to permit the gluten to calm down, then proceed kneading about minutes extra. As soon as easy, wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and put aside at room temperature for half-hour.
- When able to roll out the dough, reduce into quarters and flippantly flour a clear work floor. Cowl three of the quarters with a sheet of plastic wrap, then, utilizing a rolling pin, flatten the remaining quarter to an excellent 1⁄16-inch-thick sheet, about 5 by 14 inches. Generously flour the sheet on each side, then, ranging from one of many brief sides, roll it up right into a unfastened log. Utilizing a pointy chef’s knife, slice the log crosswise to make very skinny noodles. Unfold the noodles out on a dry baking sheet when you repeat the method with the remaining dough.
- Convey a big pot of generously salted water to a boil over excessive warmth then add the noodles and cook dinner, stirring often, till al dente, stirring often 5–6 minutes. Utilizing a heatproof measuring cup or mug, take away a couple of quarter of the cooking liquid and put aside, then drain the pasta and put aside.
- To a big skillet over medium-low warmth, add the oil. Shave half of the truffle into the skillet and swirl gently to heat within the oil. When the oil begins to shimmer and scent intensely of truffle, add the reserved pasta and its reserved cooking liquid and cook dinner, tossing gently to coat the noodles within the truffle oil. When the pasta is heated by means of and the water is nearly fully absorbed, take away from warmth. Switch the pasta to a small platter, finely grate the remaining truffle excessive, and serve instantly.