These attractive vacation cookies from baker and grasp preserver Camilla Wynne mood spicy candied ginger with earthy rye flour and deep, darkish molasses. A rye whisky glaze accentuates the crackled tops, and a dainty piece of ginger adorns every one. In case you’re feeling fancy, get artistic by chopping the ginger into festive shapes. Avoiding alcohol? Swap out the whisky for milk, lemon juice, ginger syrup, and even water.
Double-Rye Ginger Cookies
With a boozy glaze and a sparkle of winter spice.
1 hour, half-hour
For the cookies:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups rye flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. floor ginger
- ½ tsp. floor cinnamon
- ½ tsp. floor cloves
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 5 oz. melted, unsalted butter (⅔ cup)
- 1 cup packed gentle brown sugar
- 1 giant egg
- 1 giant egg yolk
- ¼ cups molasses
- ½ cups finely chopped candied ginger, plus 25 small items for garnish
For the glaze:
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cups plus 1½ tsp. rye whisky
- Pinch kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 giant rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively the all-purpose and rye flours, baking soda, dried ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the melted butter and brown sugar. Whisk within the egg, adopted by egg yolk, then whisk within the molasses. Utilizing a silicone spatula, fold the flour combination into the egg combination till practically mixed (a number of dry streaks ought to stay). Add the candied ginger and proceed folding till totally mixed.
- Utilizing a 1-ounce cookie scoop or a big spoon, divide the dough into 25 parts. Roll the parts gently into balls, then switch to the ready baking sheets, spaced at the very least 2 inches aside.
- Switch to the oven and bake till the tops are cracked and cookies are golden across the edges, 12–14 minutes. Cool barely, then switch the cookies to a wire rack to chill to room temperature.
- In the meantime, make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk collectively the confectioner’ sugar, whisky, and salt till clean. Dip the tops of the cookies into the glaze, shaking off any extra. Place a chunk of candied ginger within the heart of every cookie, utilizing slightly extra glaze to stick it if obligatory. Put aside at room temperature till the glaze has set, about half-hour, earlier than serving. Cookies will maintain in an hermetic container at room temperature for at the very least 5 days.