Sam Mannering asks, is there something extra comforting than a skeak and kindey pie?
A steak and kidney pie is fairly up there within the pantheon of consolation meals. I’ve dared to jazz it up a little bit with cumin and a wholesome dose of parsley, but when that’s abominable to your sensibilities, then omit accordingly. I like cumin in absolutely anything that isn’t cereal, and the parsley is superb for chopping by means of the richness, however you do you.
Both manner, if a few of us are nonetheless locked down by the point this goes out to print, heaven forbid, this can make issues a little bit simpler.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Prepare dinner time: 2 hours
• 1.5-2kg beef cheek or related
• 500g lamb kidneys
• Olive oil
• Sea salt and black pepper
• 1 tablespoon plain flour
• 1 massive onion, sliced
• 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
• 1 cup crimson wine
• About 500ml beef inventory
• Massive handful of flat-leaf parsley
• About 4-500g puff pastry
• 1 egg, crushed
Preheat the oven to 160C on bake.
1. Lower the cheeks up into 3-4cm chunks and quarter the kidneys. Toss collectively in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, a superb seasoning of salt and pepper and the flour.
2. Get a big lidded flameproof casserole going over a reasonably excessive warmth. Add a little bit olive oil, let it warmth up, after which fry the meat and kidneys in batches, browning the items on all sides. Take care to not overcrowd the pan, in any other case your meat gained’t brown. Take away to a heat plate and put aside.
3. To the identical pan, add a little bit extra oil and gently fry the sliced onion for about 8-10 minutes or so till tender, translucent and a little bit caramelised. Add the cumin and fry for a minute extra.
4. Return the meat to the pan, carry up the warmth, after which pour within the crimson wine and let it bubble up and cook dinner off a bit.
5. Add the inventory – sufficient to cowl the meat – add a little bit water to high up for those who don’t have sufficient, season nicely, pop the lid on and place within the oven to cook dinner gently for at the very least an hour and a half, giving it a stir a couple of times. By now, the meat needs to be meltingly tender and the sauce pretty and thick – attempt a bit and see – if not, give it one other half-hour or so, then take away and permit to chill.
6. Convey the oven as much as 180C on fan bake.
7. Chop up the parsley and fold into the cooled beef combination. Style and season.
8. Take a ceramic pie dish or related (I used my trusty Lodge pan) and unfold out the meat combination in an excellent layer. Use the puff pastry to line the highest, crimping the sides and poking a number of holes within the high. Brush with crushed egg and scatter a number of further cumin seeds excessive.